In Medical Coding Jobs, the conversion of medical diagnosis, healthcare services, operative procedures, and surgical equipment into global medical alphameric codes is required. Medical coders are an important part of the medical team in professional healthcare services.
What is Medical Coder?
- A medical coder is a translator who converts the patient’s information, documents, and records into alphanumeric medical codes.
- The medical coder is responsible for using the right medical code every time to complete the specific task.
- Medical coders do not write ‘codes’ for any computer programming.
- They do not have to deal with any technological source of medical document keeping.
- Medical coders are important personnel in the healthcare management companies or institutes to manage the vast amount of patient records, interpreted data, and documentation reports.
- Thus, they help reduce the risk of a patient’s analyzed data mishandling, complaints made from patients, etc.
- They help in preventing the healthcare management institute or firm from revenue loss by maintaining accuracy and confidentiality.
Types of Medical Coding Jobs
- Current Procedure Terminology (CPT) codes are generally used to keep records of various medical procedures that take place in the physician’s office.
- These codes are maintained, copyrighted and maintained by the American Medical Association (AMA).
- Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) consists of codes that include CPT codes.
- They are maintained by AMA.
- These codes include services, procedures and equipment which are not covered by CPT codes.
- These codes are used in chemotherapy drugs, Medicare, Medicaid, patient care etc.
- International Classification of Disease Code or ICD is the most commonly used medical code.
- The medical coders use this code to represent the diagnosis given by the doctor to describe the patient’s condition.
Medical Coding Professional Organizations Working on Medical Coding Programs and its Professionals
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Medical Billing Association (AMBA)
Different Types of Medical Coding Systems Related to Health-Care Services Include:
- Pharmaceutical Codes: These codes are used to determine medications.
- Ex- AT, NDC
- Ex- AT, NDC
- Topographical Codes: These codes are used to indicate a particular site in the body.
- Ex. SNOMED, ICD-0
- Ex. SNOMED, ICD-0
- Diagnostic Codes: They are used to identify diseases, disorders, and other disease-related symptoms. These codes can even be used to measure mortality and morbidity.
- Ex. ICD-9-CM, ICD-10
- Ex. ICD-9-CM, ICD-10
- Procedural Codes: They are numerical or alphameric codes that are generally used to determine particular health interventions taken by medical personnel.
- Ex. ICHI, ICPM
How to become a medical coder?
- If the candidate is interested in working related to the growth in the healthcare industry rather than providing patient care and performing medical operations, then a medical coder is the best option.
- Medical coders perform a crucial role in the medical field in collecting, processing, and organizing diverse amounts of medical data daily.
- Qualification requirements include:
- Basic Post-Secondary Education (Life Science Background) [One to Four Years]
- Undergraduate Education- A Certificate Program/A Bachelor’s Degree/An Associate’s Degree
- A certificate program [Two years] includes a degree in health information management, healthcare administration, liberal arts education which develops medical writing, professional speaking, and critical thinking talent.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Widens more diverse advanced knowledge towards the concepts in healthcare management.
- Includes education about healthcare management, legislative compliance, medical data analysis, human resources, project management, etc.
- This degree can be a way of getting selected in high-profile medical firms with higher salaries.
- An associate’s degree [Two years]
- Candidates possessing this degree can be hired easily.
- This degree can be converted into a Bachelor’s degree.
List of medical coding certification courses:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC)
- Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC)
- Certified Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC)
- Advanced ICD-10-CM Code Set Training
- Denial Resolution
- Neurosurgery Coding course
- EHR and EMR Specialist Course
- Home Health Coding Course
- Pathophysiology Online Course
- Skilled Nursing Facility Coding Course
- MACRA Proficiency Course
- Evaluation and Management (E/M) Online Training
- Dental Billing and Coding with Medical Cross Coding
Skills required for a good medical coder:
- Strong Ethical Standard
- Professional Attitude
- Analytical Skills
- Time Management
- Computer Knowledge (Microsoft Office)
- Problem-Solving Ability
Technical skills required to be hired easily:
- Customer Billing
- CPT Coding
- HCPCS Coding
- Clinical Health-Care Documentation
- Inpatient and Outpatient Coding
What are the duties of Medical Coders?
- Transfer diagnostic and treatment documents from doctors and other health professionals into medical-coded forms to keep updated records.
- Serve as medical subject matter expert to other medical coding staff.
- Analyze the patient’s medical records and documentation
- Prepare records and verify documentation related to diagnoses, procedures, and treatment records.
- Research, analyze and draft an action plan to verify and correct future medical coding errors.
- Provide medical coding training and supervise the staff when needed.
- Handle specific and critical medical projects, if required.
- Provide coding consultancy to care providers.
- Complete the assigned tasks related to patient documentation on time with no errors.
- Carry out chart audit.
What is the general salary paid to a medical coder?
- According to AAPC membership, medical coders earn a salary of about $54,890 per annum. The salary pay can increase based on the number of certifications and the experience level in the specific medical sector.
|JOB TITLE||MEDIAN SALARY|
|Certified Professional Coder (CPC)||$57,201|
|Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO)||$77,333|
|Certified Professional Coder-Instructor (CPC-I)||$75,403|
|Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC)||$63191|
|Certified Outpatient Coder (COC)||$65,028|
|Certified Professional Coder-Payer (CPC-P)||$62,612|
|Certified Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC)||$64,882|
- Medical Coder monthly pay in India?
|MEDICAL CODING JOB TITLE||MONTHLY SALARY|
|Sutherland Medical Coder||Rs. 30,938/-|
|Advantmed Medical Coder||Rs. 17,872/-|
|United Health group Medical Coder||Rs. 33,935/-|
|nThrive Medical Coder||Rs 28,349/-|
The Online Medical Coding training courses:
- America Health Information Association (AHIMA) is an accreditation bases organization offering eight certification training courses in medical record management, coding improvement, documentation, inpatient and outpatient coding, etc.
- Examinations undertaken:
- RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator Exam)
- RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician Exam)
- Examinations undertaken:
- Diploma in Medical Coding.
- Medical Auditing Training.
- Medical Documentation Training.
- Speciality Medical Coding Training.
- Dental Coding.
- Oncology Coding etc.
How is medical coding done by the medical coders?
- A medical coder usually begins the day by reviewing the patient’s notes for verification and medical coding.
- The types of patient notes generally depend on the clinical setting and require adequate specialization of the study.
- Then the medical coder begins with reviewing and evaluating the patient’s records to understand the diagnoses history, assigned treatment, surgical operations undertaken, medications used, and other procedures performed during the visit.
- Medical coders often use codebooks for translating the physician’s notes into alpha-numeric medical codes.
- They even undergo deep research on the patient’s data for further studies if any complications are encountered.
- They even rely on computer billings, medical coding software for their interpretation and results.
- They follow the standard medical standards and create, design the outline of their work profile.
- More commonly, professional medical coders work independently on the work assigned to them.
- But if needed, they even need to interact with the patients, physicians, other healthcare staff members, etc.
- They timely need to prepare the audit of the work done.
- They should even in-hand give the medical coding data of any patient if required immediately.
- Performing errors is not allowed in this profession.
- This medical coding job requires high accuracy and confidentiality.
Why is medical coding a required profession in the healthcare system?
- The healthcare system needs to keep documentation of the patient’s clinical and medical history.
- It needs to keep a precise record of the documents, reports, etc.
- This documentation helps to guarantee high-quality care of patients to increase their future visits.
- Keeping the patient’s overall medical and clinical history helps to know the required treatment needed patient’s complaints, future predictions, improvements, etc.
- Daily several patients visit the healthcare sectors like hospitals etc. So it is a tedious job for a doctor to maintain every record.
- The challenge is that the patients may have thousands of varied conditions, ailments, injuries, diseases, etc. The precise record of the individual patient should be maintained to avoid forthcoming complaints and their associated problems.
- Medical coding is the profession that can handle the patient’s problems in the form of medical codes.
- Records and documentation reports can be suitably handled digitally and verified using various medical coding computer software.
- So, medical coding is the best option for a career in the healthcare management system.
BEST MEDICAL CODING COMPANIES HIRING MEDICAL CODERS IN INDIA
- MiraMed Ajuba
- AGS Health
- Omega Healthcare
- Johnson and Johnson
- Access Healthcare (India)
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- NTT DATA
- Vee Technologies
- Odyssey Informatics
- Augustus Healthcare India LLP
- Pradot Technologies
- Indian Healthcare BPO
- ISEO Systems Pvt Ltd
- Hinduja Global Solutions
- XL Care Information Systems
- Vision 2K
- PI- International
- Eli Research India Pvt Ltd
- Accretive Health Group Private Limited Ltd.
- Human Needs Services Private Limited
- Inficare Software Technologies
- Southside Healthcare Solutions Private Limited
- Serco BPO Private Limited
- HR Navigators Private Limited
- Career Routes
- Skhvarsha Management Services Private Limited
- HRD House
BEST TOP INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CODING COMPANIES HIRING MEDICAL CODERS
- STARTEK Health
- Parexel International Corporation
- Global Medical Recruiting
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Ramsay Health Care
- Robert Half International
- Med-X International Claims
- Promantra Synergy Solutions
- Cerner Corporation
- Global Revenue Cycle Partners
BEST TOP WORK FROM HOME COMPANIES HIRING MEDICAL CODERS
- Maxim Health Information Services
- Precyse Solutions
- Medical Record Associates
- Anthelio Healthcare Solutions
- The Coding Network
- Altegra Health
How does a medical coder work from home?
- Medical coders can be part-time or full-time employment from home.
- It is flexible work duration.
- The employer must have access to Wi-Fi and high–speed internet connectivity where he/she is working.
- They may even need HIPAA privacy and security.
- The employee can work on a contract basis or as an internship as the work from home is considered.
- Benefits of a medical coder to work from home:
- It is an easy job of remote work rather than hectic office hours.
- Employees can enjoy more personal and family time.
- Employees can improve attention and accuracy in the assigned task as there is autonomy and no other office distractions.
- No any sort of office subsidiary workload.
- No traveling, vehicle, and fuel cost.
- Flexible job hours.
- Drawbacks of a medical coder to work from home:
- Less communication with colleagues and other healthcare staff personnel.
- The medical coder employee should be cautious with the patient details to avoid mistakes in medical coding data.
- Important points to be considered by a medical coder during ‘REMOTE WORK.’
- The medical coder should possess the required data and results on time.
- He/she should maintain self-discipline and punctuality in the assigned task completion.
- Stay sincere and organized!
- Must stay independent to carry out the coding duties with multiple and varied patient data and records.
- If required, one must be able to train other professionals online through various teaching platforms.
What is the other basic requirement for the job of medical coder?
- Knowledge in Physiology and Anatomy.
- Basic English communication skills.
- Understanding medical problems of patients.
- Knowledge of the medical code reference books.
- Ability to analyze and interpret medical terminology.
- Efficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective data entry skills.
- Ability to complete the assigned task before the allotted deadlines.
- Proficient knowledge of CPT AND ICD-9 systems.
Requirement of any other eligibility for the post of remote work medical coder:
- Any Life Science, Paramedical, Medical Graduate, or Post Graduate candidate.
- Should be from Pharmacy, Nursing, Zoology, Botany, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Genetics, B.O.T, Physiology, Nutrition and Dietetics, Plant Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Medical lab Technology, Healthcare education, M.B.B.S, B.D.S, B.A.M.S, B.H.M.S, etc.
- Post-graduation (M.Sc) in Medical Sociology, Clinical Nutrition, Epidemiology, Blood Banking, Molecular Virology, Biostatistics, Genetic Counseling, Radiology, Clinical Care Technology, Audiology, and Speech-Language Pathology, Cardio Pulmonary Perfusion Care Technology, etc. can also be preferred.
- Under graduation (B.Sc) in Critical Care Technology, Radiology Imaging Technology, Medical Record Science, Respiratory Therapy, Nursing Aid Operation Theatre, Fitness and Lifestyle Modifications, etc., can be preferred.
Any other benefits/incentives provided to the medical coder by some companies during the tenure of the medical coding job:
- Food facility
- Pick-up and drop facility
- Weekend off
- Day shift
What is the age limit for the Medical coder job profile?
- There is no age limit required in medical coding job.
- What matters most is the medical coding education (graduation, post-graduation, or diploma), certification courses, medical coding training, computer knowledge, and experience in the coding job.
How a medical coder can increase his/her salary in Medical coding job?
- One can increase the salary scale in the medical coding job by completing the following Advanced Speciality Certification courses-
- Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) course offered by National Cancer Registrars Association.
- Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder (CIRCC) certification offered by AHIMA.
- Certified Coding Specialist- Physician (CCS-P) certification degree holders can learn various medical coding languages like CPT, ICD-10-CM, etc.
- Medical coders can pursue certification degrees in anesthesia and pain management, obstetric gynecology, pediatrics, ambulatory surgical center, etc., to gain higher salary income.
- They must have an outstanding academic and experience profile and stand outstanding among others to increase the salary pay scale.
Is there a bright and profitable future in Medical coding sector?
- The Medical coding sector is expanding at a much higher rate worldwide.
- It is estimated that the employment scale of the Medical coder job will expand by 15 percent by the year 2024.
- Also, the demand for good, professional, highly skilled, talented, educated and experienced Medical coding candidates is increasing daily in the healthcare management sector to manage the coding duties.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is medical coding a difficult job?
Medical coding appears to be a complicated job. But accuracy and experience can make it simpler and easier.
- Is medical coding an excellent career in medical field?
The medical coding profession has been boosted in the 2020s as high-profile health companies need technicians to handle vast patient records. Also, the scope and job opportunities have doubled this decade. So this makes a good career in this field.
- How many hours do medical coders work daily?
Medical coders can work for a flexible hour duration. They can even work from home rather than work on-site if assigned. The only difficult and confidential task is to keep the assigned medical coder’s work highly confidential.
- How to increase the salary in medical coding job?
Earning a higher certification course accredited by any of (AHIMA, PAHC, NCRA, and BMSC organizations) may increase your salary rate in this job.
- What type of computer knowledge is required by a medical coder?
Medical coder requires basic Office computing skills like Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Microsoft Excel etc.
- Which types of computer software do Medical coders need in their work?
Medical coders generally use medical software. They use document management software like SoftMed ChartLocater, Hyland Software OnBase, etc. They also work with eClinicalWorks, Welford Chart Notes, and coding software like DRG Grouper, American Medical Association CodeManager, etc.
- Where do medical coders work?
Medical coders usually work in health-related firms. They work in hospitals, doctor’s offices, healthcare consulting services, insurance agencies, educational institutions, government agencies, law firms. Even work from home is also the best option nowadays.
- What is the average salary of a medical coder?
The average salary of certified medical coder is Rs. 25K; Medical Biller is Rs. 16K; Medical Records Clerk is Rs. 21K and Medical Billing/ Coding is Rs. 20K.
- What is the difference between medical coding and medical billing?
Medical coding consists of extracting valid information from the medical record and the clinical documentation. On the other hand, medical billing uses the medical codes to create insurance claims and bills.
- Which medical coding job pays the most?
Certified Outpatient Coding (COC) professional earns the most with an average salary of $ 58,882 per annum. Even the Certified Physician Practice Managers (CPPM) earns the most, with a mean yearly income of $64,666.
- How much money do the online medical coding teaching classes take?
Online medical coding teaching classes almost charge $1,210 per student. They may even charge averagely from $749 to $1,895 per student.
- Which are the best certification courses in medical coding?
The best medical certification courses include:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) [AAPC credited]
- Certified Coding Specialist- Physician Based (CCS-P)
- Certifies Coding Specialist (CCS) [AHIMA credited]
- Which are the top remote medical coding firms in the world?
- Change Healthcare
- The Coding Network
- UnitedHealth Group
- Maxim Healthcare Services
- Himagine Solutions
- Conifer Health Solutions
- What is the test required for medical coding?
The CPC exam is a medical test required for medical coding. It consists of 150 multiple choice questions that cover almost 17 areas of knowledge sectors.
- What skills must the medical coder possess to interact professionally?
Medical coders must be well versed at English communication, interpersonal skills to interact with doctors, nurses, health-care staff, patients etc.
- How to get a medical coder job without experience?
- The candidate should earn a high school degree or equivalent.
- He/she must pursue medical coding training.
- Must complete any medical coding certification course with a good score
- Learn and practice medical coding computer software.
- Improve the medical coding skills through practice.
- How are medical coding jobs effective in COVID-19 pandemic?
As the people face a great difficulty of employment in these COVID-19 pandemic crises, medical coding remote job has boosted as employment for many people-Medical Insurance Coding Specialists are in much demand in COVID-19 pandemic crises.
- Which type of medical code is usually used for COVID-19 disease?
- U07.1 and U07.2 are the normal ICD codes for COVID-19.
- U07.1- COVID-19 is a lab-confirmed medical code.
- U07.2- COVID-19 is a clinically diagnosed medical code.
- Which type of medical coders are in demand nowadays?
Analytically-skilled medical coders are in demand nowadays.