People’s general thoughts are that life for biology students mostly ends up in medical school,, but it doesn’t always have to be that way. Various other opportunities in different fields associated with biology are waiting to be grasped by students holding biology degree for those not interested in medical school or wanting to choose different options present there. As said by August Compete, “The time, however has arrived when biology must, like the other sciences, make a fresh start in a purely speculative direction, free from all entanglement with medical and other art.”
Students holding a biology degrees after school have a vast range of options present in today’s world. Biology students after school can opt for Bachelor’s Degree in Life Science, Food Technology, Microbiology and Paramedical Sciences, and many more. Each Field has many more subfields in it to choose from. Holding Bachelor’s Degree in certain biology-related fields can you students eligible for pretty good-paying jobs. Further Master’s Degree increases academic recognition, Networking, personality development, career prospects, and increases the probability to secure a high income.
Various Other Options to Go For Besides Medical School
There are various other fields you can go for if you hold a biology degree and want biology to be the core subject plus the other field in which you are interested like chemical industry, technical field, environment science, food industry or if you are interested in writing you can go for Medical content writer. A few of the alternative fields are listed below:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Medical Content Writer
- Food Technology
- Forensic Science
- Environment Science
- Medical Microbiology
- Nursing Science
- Agriculture Science
- Paramedical Science
- Biomedical Researcher
- Biology Related Bachelor’s Degree Which You Can Pursue After High School
There is numerous amount of Bachelor’s Degree you can opt from which has biology as a core subject besides MBBS. These Bachelor’s degrees from good colleges can help you get a well-paid job anywhere you want. Many students are confused over what Bachelor’s Degree to pursue after School even though they are sure about the core subject because of the variety of options available to them. Every Bachelor’s Degree has its own plus and negative points in the long run. The purpose of this is to provide you with all the knowledge of your particular interests and explore all the options provided. The Duration of these bachelor’s degrees is of 4 years approximately. The list of all the Bachelor’s Degree with biology as a core subject one can opt from is given below.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Life Science( Duration:4 yrs approximately)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Microbiology
- Bachelor’s of Science in Home Science
- Bachelor’s of Science in psychology
- Bachelor’s of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor’s of Science in Environment Science
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor’s of Science in Military Nursing Science
- Bachelor’s of Science in Food Technology( Duration: 3 yrs approximately)
- Honors in Bachelor of Science in Food Technology ( Duration: 4 yrs approximately)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Medical Microbiology( Duration: 4 yrs approximately)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Biotechnology( Duration: 4 yrs approximately)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Biochemistry (Duration: 4 yrs approximately)
If you want to go for the Research Sector in Biology Related Courses I would suggest to with the honors course in Bachelors of science available for students interested. There is greater scope for you all and much more opportunity, better placements, and High Wages.
- Honors Degree in Bachelor of Science (Duration: 4 yrs approximately)
- Honors in Bachelor of Science in Botany
- Honors in Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Honors in Bachelor of Science in Zoology
- Bachelor’s in Paramedical Sciences
- BPT: Bachelor’s in Physiotherapy( Duration: 4 yrs+ 6 months internship)
- BMRT: : Bachelor’s in Medical Radiotherapy Technology
- B.PHARMA: Bachelor’s in pharmacy( Duration: 4 yrs)
- D.PHARMA: Diploma in pharmacy( Duration: 2 yrs)
- Bachelor’s of Education in Biology( Duration: 2yrs)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics( Duration: 3 yrs)
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing ( Duration : 3 yrs)
Highest Paying Jobs For Biology Degree Holders and Average Income Possible
Students that are worried that they cannot acquire good job opportunities just with Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree have nothing to worry about there are many excellent paying Jobs out there for people holding only Bachelor’s and Master’s degree which are almost average to that of any medical student studying in Reputed colleges, without attending any Medical college. People holding a Bachelor’s Degree in any of the Biology related fields can secure around ($50,000-$143,000) average pay jobs which is pretty good. The person holding a Master’s Degree will have a larger Pay-scale in comparison to only Bachelor’s Degree Holders. You will have a variety of options to choose from even regarding the Company you want to work with and even apply for off-campus Placements as well during your last year. Medical School Acceptance Rate is lower than that of any normal degree college. The GPA for any Medical should be high whereas you can get into any good Degree college with an average GPA easily. Only 40% of the Pre-Meds actually become doctors and get placement in Hospitals.
Top 12 Highest Paying Jobs for Biology Degree Holders
- Top 12: Pharmacist
- Branch of Science: Pharmaceutical Science
- Types of Degree Require: Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, Associate Degree in Pharmacy, Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmaceutical Science, Master’s in Pharmaceutical Science. To practice pharmacy in the USA, you are required to earn a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D) degree from an accredited Pharmacy institution and Pass a State Pharmacy licensure Exam. While Admission many programs need students to undergo an undergraduate degree or a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Average Cost of Pharmacy School: Ranging From $65,000-$200,000
- Number of Jobs (2019): 321,700
- Average Annual Salary: Around $135,589
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): -3% (Decline)
- Employment Change (2019-29): -10,500
- Top 11: Molecular Biologist
- Branch of Science: Cellular and Molecular Biology ( Studying about the Inner Cells and interaction between those Cells)
- Types of Degree: Bachelor’s in Molecular Biology, Masters in Molecular Biology, or any other related fields such as biochemistry or biophysics. Molecular require a Ph. D. in Biology, Chemistry or Physics or any other research and development fields. Holding a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree can secure you an only entry-level job with comparatively lesser wage jobs than the Ph. D. Holders.
- Average Cost of School : Graduate tuition& Fees – In States $13,563 and out of States- $47,324
- Number of Jobs (2019):378,000
- Average Annual Salary: 50,500
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 19% ( Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 10,000
- Top 10: Biomedical Engineer
- Branch of Science: It is basically medical Engineering. Typically deals with chemicals and their Involvement in the healthcare sector. Nowadays this Branch integrates mechanical, electrical, chemical and life Sciences to develop new technologies in the country to help the healthcare centers.
- Types of Degree: To become a biomedical engineer you are required to have a Bachelor’s Degree in bioengineering, biomedical, or some other related engineering field. Having a Bachelor’s Degree will get you an average-paying job, the pay may further increase with time in whichever company or hospital you work with. Passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam also referred to as the engineering training (EIT)exam and working in engineering for at least four yrs and further passing the Professional Engineering (PE) exam will get you a Professional Engineer License which will provide better and higher-paying jobs.
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Tuition & Fees In State: $13,204, Out-of-State : $ 48,762
- Graduate Tuition & Fees In State: $15,756, Out-of-State:$ 43,678
- Number of Jobs (2019):21,200
- Average Base Salary: $65,779
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 5% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 10,000
- Top 9: Registered Nurse (RN)
- Branch of Science: The Registered Nurse Deals with Nursing Sciences. Their Job is to Administer patient’s medical Care, basically, Supervise and their roles can vary with their specialization, perform medical tests doing diagnoses keeping medical history, taking necessary decisions best suited for the patient.
- Types of Degree: Registered Nurse is a nursing degree available for students that graduate from an accredited program. These Accredited Programs include nursing diplomas, associated degrees, or a Bachelor’s Degree. Bachelor’s Degree takes around 4 yrs as an associate degree takes around 2 yrs to complete.
- Average Cost of Schooling: Undergraduate Tuition & fees for BNS cost at least $40,000. Fees can reach up to $80,000 to $ 100,000 for private colleges and University
- Number of Jobs, 2019: 3,096,700
- Average Base Salary: $65,870
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 7% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 221,900
- Top 8: Nature Conservation Officer
- Branch of Science: Nature Conservation officers are generally referred to as game wardens. They enforce state and Federal Laws to protect and maintain the flora and fauna of the State they are posted in. It is basically administration of environment with having a master in Environmental Sciences
- Types of Degree: The minimum education qualification required to become a nature conservation officer is to at least have an associate’s degree. Few of the agencies require a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, environmental Sciences, or biology. Post Graduate Degree in Wildlife Science/Zoology/Marine Biology/Life Sciences/Biodiversity and Conservation/Environment Sciences with 60% aggregate from a recognized college. Should have at least 5 yrs of field experience within the conversation and related fields
- Average Cost of School: Environmental Science Degree Tuition & fees- Bachelor’s – $54,260
- Associate – $12742
- Master’s – $24,811
- Doctorate – $29,536
- Number of Jobs (2019):36,000
- Average Base Salary: $65,779
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 6% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 3,000
- Top 7: Medical Writer
- Branch of Science: A medical writer is a person who knows about Medical Research, Documentary, Pharmaceuticals, Medical equipment invented and write about them. Abstract information and write journals, books, health care documents, and education materials. Sometimes a person is required to have a degree in Science such as Biology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacy, or chemistry.
- Types of Degree: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Journalism or English is required most of the time. Some agencies only hire people having Ph. D
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Journalism Tuition & Fees In State: $7,144 , Out-of-State : $ 24,532
- Graduate Journalism Tuition & Fees In State: $11,112, Out-of-State:$ 20,514
- Number of Jobs (2019):21,200
- Average Base Salary: $72,657
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 8% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 4,300
- Top 6: Physical Therapist
- Branch of Science: Physical Therapist performs Physiotherapy or physical therapy (PT). It requires a physical examination, diagnosis, prognosis, patient education, and physical administration of patients.
- Types of Degree: Undergraduate majors amongst physical therapist students include exercise sciences, biology, kinesiology, and psychology. Post Graduate degree which physical therapist can have is Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT).
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Tuition & fees- In State: $9,502, Out-of-State : $29,430
- Graduate Tuition & Fees In State: $11,392, Out-of-State:$23,448
- Number of Jobs (2019):258,200
- Average Base Salary: $73,148
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 18% (Much faster than average)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 47,000
- Top 5: Conservation Scientist
- Branch of Science: Conservational Scientists are professionals who work in the fields of conservation science and work towards the research of cultural heritage through scientific inquiry. They improve and protect the country’s natural heritage. Work as advisors to farmers, Ranchers to increase the cultivation rate of land and educate the farmers.
- Types of Degree: Conservation Scientist require a Bachelor’s Degree in forestry or related fields like environmental science, Agricultural Science, or rangeland management, ecology and forest resource management.
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Tuition & fees- In State: $10,192, Out-of-State : $32,270
- Graduate Tuition & Fees In State: $11,987, Out-of-State:$24,859
- Number of Jobs (2019): 36,100
- Average Base Salary: $77,173
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 5% (Faster than Average)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 7,100
- Top 4: Agricultural Scientist
- Branch of Science: Scientist which deals with agricultural land of the allocated area. They collect and analyze data and samples of produce, feed, and soil and study of factors affecting the production of soil. They work to make land much more efficient and safer.
- Types of Degree: Agricultural scientists and Food scientists need Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. They can have bachelor’s degrees in agriculture, agriculture biology, Natural Resources crop Sciences, Forestry, and Agricultural Science.
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Tuition & Fees In State: $8,204, Out-of-State : $ 22,202
- Number of Jobs (2019):34,800
- Average Base Salary:$ 77,173
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 6% (Faster than average)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 2000
- Top 3: Physician Assistant
- Branch of Science: Physician assistant is a type of mid-level health care provider. They diagnose illnesses, study future medical illness possibilities and develop a treatment for them. A physician assistant is many a time confused with physicians but they are not their field of work is different from physicians.
- Types of Degree: Physician Assistants must have a Master’s Degree and should have experience. A person who can become a Physician assistant must pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) and meet additional state requirements.
- Average Cost of School: The average cost of Public non-Resident tuition for 27 months program- $50,289, Out-of-State: $88,677
- The average cost of private tuition for 27 months physician Assistant program- In-State: $91,639
- Number of Jobs (2019):125,500
- Average Base Salary: $109,073
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 31% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 39,300
- Top 2: Nurse Practitioner
- Branch of Science: Nurse Practitioner (NP) is an advanced registered nurse with much more education qualification and field experience. They are trained to assess patient, order and interpret diagnosis and diseases and further prescribe treatment plans for the patients
- Types of Degree: Bachelor’s and Master’s of science in nursing. Nurse Practitioners are required to work under the supervision of Physicians and at some places can work individually. Nurse Practitioners are required to have 1.5 yr of post-baccalaureate training.
- Average Cost of School:
- BSN TO MSN : $18,810-$185,280
- BSN TO DNP: $26,490-$254,260
- MSN TO DNP: $17,660 -$169,510
- Number of Jobs (2019):263,400
- Average Base Salary: $110,076
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 45% (Much Faster than average)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 117,700
- Top 1: Physician Liaison
- Branch of Science: Physician Liaison creates communication and network for physicians, doctors, and hospitals. Liaison is required to meet the hospitals, doctors, and researchers regarding new treatments, types of equipment, Vaccines, and new diseases.
- Types of Degree: An associate degree or bachelor in sales, marketing, healthcare administration, or related fields. At the same time field experience in healthcare sales. General Medical knowledge is a must for a physician liaison
- Average Cost of School: Undergraduate Tuition & Fees in Marketing In State: $7,504, Out-of-State : $22,905
- Graduate Tuition & Fees in marketing- In State: $10,728, Out-of-State:$ 18,540
- Number of Jobs (2019):21,200
- Average Base Salary: $143,698
- Jobs Outlook (2019-29): 7% (Increase)
- Employment Change (2019-29): Increase by 55,400
FUTURE START-UP POSSIBILITIES FOR BIOLOGY DEGREE HOLDERS
There are many new possible start-up business opportunities for biology degree holders. Many countries have started integrated double degree programs (Biology + Business) for biology students who are interested and want to invest and start up their own biology-focused companies, agencies, and research centers. You must have the required skills to start up and meet the desire of the people in its own unique ways. As said biology is included in Stem (Science, technology, engineering, and Mathematics), you can cover almost all of the knowledge of every field through biology only and through business,a person holding a biology degree can form a network chain all over the world.
There are endless opportunities for you all to go for in near future and choose wisely according to your field of interest. Biology is such a vast subject in itself, pick something out of these various fields that you are passionate about and can connect yourself with easily. Biology is limitless and so are its career opportunities.
- Which is better Bachelor’s Degree between Bachelor in Life Sciences or Honour’s in Bachelor Science?
I would suggest going with Bachelor in Life Science Because then you can go for a Master’s in any of the branches of life Sciences but if you do honors in a particular branch of science you can do master’s in that branch only so you do not get as many options as in life sciences.
- Can I choose any other major subject for my Bachelor’s if I have Biology Degree after high School?
Yes, you can opt for another major subject for Bachelor’s even if you have biology as a major in high school. You can for BBA, BA, BCA, B.COM, and many more.
- What are the best Degrees in Science?
The few best degrees in Science are Bachelor’s in Biomedical Engineering, Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or Master’s Degree in Physician Assistant Studies.
- Best colleges for Biology Students in the USA? Which college is good and can easily get into?
The top 5 best colleges in the USA are Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, University of California-San Francisco, and John Hopkins University. Massachusetts Institute of technology is 2nd best college in the USA and can get easily admission in.