Emergency Medical Technicians-Basic (EMT-B) is given the task of attending the calls requiring immediate help, basically the critically injured people due to any unfavorable situation or miss-happening. Also, after receiving the call, the technician needs to take the earliest route possible and reach on time. They have the responsibility to provide immediate care before it is too late. Becoming an Emergency Medical Technician is not an easy task. This blog explains what jobs can you get with EMT basic.
It is a strong career path that requires devotion and utmost dedication. However, the demand for this career is increasing day by day. There are various opportunities in this field to grow yourself. Don’t consider yourself to remain as an ambulance driver. You can also become a paramedic doctor, manager in a hospital or army crew, technician, or instructor.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES WITH EMT BASIC
1. EMERGENCY ROOM TECHNICIAN
Technicians who work along with doctors in the hospital rooms and help in carrying out not so critical tasks but of great use as the setup of the room before the patient arrives, keeping all the equipment ready as per the needs of the doctor, maintaining the patient and keeping his or her utmost care. There are many other activities like drawing blood, providing medicines, etc.
- Perform support activities that lessen the time of the doctor.
- Managing the patient and his requirements.
- Carrying out some tasks of the main doctor eases out the situation of the doctor.
If we talk about pay rate, then it depends mostly upon your percentile. The most basic pay starts from around $20/ hour, and it goes up to $30/ hour. Therefore if we talk about yearly salary, it will land around $30000 – $50000.
The demand for such technicians is gradually increasing due to the increase in dependency on medicine. Day by day, the population is getting dependent on medication. Moreover, especially in this time of the pandemic, which has attacked people’s immunity badly, the demand for assistants and technicians has increased. So one can consider pursuing a career in this field.
- Communication and Decision making skills
- Experience in medical terminology
- Knowledge about patient condition
- Ability to work long hours, listen and handle the patient
2. EQUIPMENT REPAIRMAN
Medical equipment repairman has the utmost necessary task at his feet. He has to make sure that all the medical equipment function properly because the machines show all the data at the time of surgery or performing an operation. If this equipment is not working properly, then it could prove to be a great threat to the patient’s life.
- Making sure all the lights, fans, chairs, and tables are properly functional.
- All the sophisticated machines like incubators, monitors, and ultrasound machines work properly and do not fail while the operation.
- One more category includes devices like cameras, light sources, video processors, etc. that prove to be of great help.
The technicians are paid monthly, seeing the trend until now, so on average, the yearly salary of a repairman ranges from around $40000 to $70000. It depends totally on your experience and expertise. The fresher is obviously paid less than the experienced personnel.
Many factors come in place when we consider the demand of this profession. Almost all hospitals have enough repairmen with them so that there is never a shortage of technicians and they have to face a problem. New job openings happen when there is a new hospital construction, when old employees leave, adding up a new medical facility in the hospital, which we call hospital expansion.
- Degree in biomedical equipment technology
- Practical training instead of only school training
Some courses can also be pursued, like mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and human physiology. These courses can be beneficial in proving whether you have the required skills for the job or not.
3. MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Medical assistants carry out administrative and clinical tasks every day in hospitals, clinics, or other healthcare facilities. They have the duty of keeping the record of their patients and discussing the condition of the patient with the main doctor upon which the main doctor prescribes the necessary treatment.
- Basic checkups like blood pressure, oxygen, and blood samples.
- Maintaining the history and current condition of the patient.
- Observe the changing patterns in the patient.
- Preparing X-rays, keeping care of medication, diet, and dressing.
Medical assistants work everywhere in small and large organizations, they are required everywhere, but their supply is also huge. Many students try their hand in the medical field by becoming assistants first and then further becoming better with that. Also, apart from students, some people are pursuing this professionally. Due to this sole reason of large supply, the wages are comparatively less. It may range something around $20000 to $40000. The work, when compared, is comparatively more stressful and time-consuming.
The demand and supply gap remains fulfilled most of the time. The reason is that the number of students pursuing graduation in medical has increased, and on the other hand, the experienced technicians never lose their job easily because of the suitability of the job.
- Diploma or degree in a medical program from university.
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal and technical skills
- Training certificate if you have worked somewhere before.
4. SURGERY TECHNOLOGIST
A medical professional who is a specialist in carrying out operations related to surgery and technology. They are experts that can understand the technology and carry out the task with the help of technical instruments. Basically preparing the patient for the surgery is their main goal
- Assist in surgical operations
- Prepare and take care of surgical rooms and equipment.
- Help the doctor in analyzing the instruments and taking informed decisions.
- Carrying out the process of surgery under the supervision of the main doctor.
The wages and general pay rate of surgery technologists are comparatively higher than most other medical professions. This is because they have to carry out the complex tasks that too in a restrained period of time with efficiency. The average salary lies around $45000 to $80000. In addition, they have to develop a great ability to work under stressful conditions.
This field of surgery technologist is very complex and systematic. The doctors need to perform each task with utmost care and attention because the question is of the life and death of a patient. Therefore, the demand in this profession is always high for those who can work with efficiency and develop trust.
- Associate diploma or degree certificate from a university.
- Experience certificate from a place you have worked before.
- Attentive listening skills
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Stress management capability
5. INFORMATION TECHNICIAN
A person who has a sound knowledge about medical equipment and technology instruments that he is able to work with them, identify the problem and rectify the problem as soon as possible. Basically, the person must have an understanding of how the machine works.
- Installing and configuring system software and hardware.
- Identifying software and network issues to keep the system safe and protected.
- Improve efficiency and reliability of the system.
This field is pretty technical and complex, and not many people can carry out the tasks efficiently. Therefore the demand remains high in this field. The average salary remains around $60000 to $90000. It depends upon your level of experience and expertise.
The demand as specified remains strong and high due to the job complexity and expert level understanding of the basic working of the devices.
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Communication skills to solve the problem quickly
- Time management and organizational skills
- Good knowledge of internet security and software
- Certificate to show your experience and knowledge
6. EMERGENCY DISPATCHER
Whenever an emergency situation arises, the emergency dispatcher has the responsibility of answering the caller and responding to the team further to help the caller. This whole process is coordinated by a person who is known as an emergency dispatcher.
- Answering emergency calls for assistance
- Dispatching the team to the place of the caller
- Communicating constantly and coordinating the whole activity
- Deciding the priorities to follow up.
The average salary made by an emergency dispatcher is around $20000 and $40000. They make money based on their level of efficiency and skills of coordination.
The demand in this field is not that great, but then it is a great career option due to less competition in the field. If someone pursues the course of EMT basic, then they might choose to work as an emergency dispatcher to somehow move forward in the career.
- High school certificate or diploma certificate
- Training or experience certificate if worked before elsewhere
- Work in a stressful environment answering calls
- Coordination and teamwork skills
7. BIOLOGICAL TECHNICIAN
Biological technicians work mostly in laboratories to help scientists and biologists conduct their experiments easily. First of all, they have the task of maintaining the laboratory instruments and along with that, they require great analytical skills to test and observe different samples.
- Setup the lab for the biologist or scientist by maintaining the required instruments.
- Analyze the collected samples and prepare a report.
- Coordinate with the main person upon the report prepared.
There are different criteria for payment, it depends on whom you are working for. If you are working as a technician in a school, college, or university then the pay is less due to less workload. But if you are working for a responsible organization like a hospital, research agency, or for the government either then your pay is more as compared. For educational institutes, you might get compensation around $20000 to $40000 while for higher-level research you might get paid around $40000 to $70000.
The demand for such technicians is moderate, not too high nor too low. This profession is a health profession to enter into if you are planning to make a career as a researcher. The lab scientists do require assistants and technicians to ease out their work.
- Communication and observational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, physiology, or microbiology.
- Certificate of experience if you have worked before elsewhere.
- Sound knowledge about computer science and how to use lab equipment.
8. CRIME LAB TECHNICIAN
Technicians who analyze the physical samples submitted in the lab to identify what is relevant to the investigation and will help in solving the case. All the collected samples such as fingerprints, blood samples, any piece of paper, or anything else needs to be submitted to the technician for identification.
- Investigating the history of the individual
- Checking the criminal record of that person
- Examine the samples using special equipment and devices
This is an on-the-job or on-field job which requires critical thinking and analytical skills therefore we can say that workload is much more than the normal job. Due to this reason, the compensation of such technicians is more than normal officers and on average, according to the industry trend, these crime lab technicians get paid around $60000 to $80000 yearly.
Students who have the minimum educational requirements fulfilled are able to get a better job prospect in the market. As we know in today’s time equipment is coming up with the latest technology that can be fully utilized if we hire the best talent possible. However, due to this sole reason of technological advancement, the demand for crime lab technicians has increased and is currently also increasing day by day. It is a good field to enter.
- Bachelor’s degree in forensic science
- Certificate or special courses
- Comfortable with the microscope
- Sound knowledge about physics and chemistry
9. INDUSTRIAL MEDIC
There are many injuries and illnesses that happen in an industry or work area. Generally, people working in this area do not have a nearby medical facility which is really worst when you are in need of medical help. Industrial medics have a responsibility of healing these injuries or protecting a person from more damage till he or she is shifted to the hospital.
- Treating wounds, injuries (small ones)
- Giving injections and jabs
- Carry medicines for illness
- Keeping medical illness food with them
Many people are turning to industry paramedics by pursuing EMT courses. This certification is often used by people who want to make their career as ambulance drivers or as helpers in hospitals. The salary however depends upon your education qualification and marks. But then too the average salary is around $25000 to $35000.
Becoming an industrial paramedic will teach you how to adapt to a new situation. The profession will give you the required experience that will help you save people’s lives. The demand is generally not too high nor too low. You can do well in this career if you are decently qualified and educated, you will make your way.
- Patience and decision making skills
- Communication and management skills
- On the job training
- Pass the cognitive and psychomotor exam for EMT certification
10. FLIGHT PARAMEDIC
People who provide emergency services to people living in remote locations and are in need of medical care. If the people need to be evacuated from a certain place or transport to a safe place where medical assistance will be provided to them. This is called a flight paramedic.
- Fly to and from emergency situations
- Having the medicines and injections handy
- Keeping the extra food for emergency use for patients
- Possessing first aid kit for medical care
There is very little competition in this field due to many factors, people do not find it very comfortable or safe so they do not take up this profession. This is the reason why flight paramedics have a comparatively higher salary than others. They get paid around $50000 to $70000 yearly.
The demand is pretty high in this field because this is a very less chosen field by people. They do not find it safe or convincing enough even after they get offered a higher salary. Also, the test round is very complex to clear so many aspirants fail in that round.
- Licensed as a paramedic from the board
- Prior experience in any life support services like pediatric, cardiovascular, or trauma life support.
- Certification from CAAHEP
A certified health care professional who takes care of the patient who is temporarily sick physically or mentally and helps the patient get on a regular track in his or her life again. A specialist nurse helps in diagnosing a particular problem, coordinating with the main doctor, and prescribing the necessary medication.
- Identifying and reporting the illness or problems of a patient to the doctor.
- Providing psychological and mental support to the patient.
- Taking notes of patient’s history and conducting required tests.
- Drawing and performing blood testing.
There are various types of nurses that are specialized in one or the other field like there are travel, pediatric, ambulatory, school, and clinical nurses. However, the salaries of these registered nurses are much higher than in other professions. Their average salary can range somewhere between $60000 to even $120000.
As told above that there are various categories of nurses that have emerged nowadays. These categories require manpower to be fulfilled. Therefore the demand for nurses is increasing with time. This is a sole profession where you can contribute to society by saving someone’s life or even improve someone’s life.
- Bachelors of nursing degree in science. You can take the general course or even accelerated or weekend course.
- License from the statutory body to work practically.
- Experience certificate from the previous institution if worked elsewhere.
- Empathy and love for patient.
- Listening and communication skills.
Sonography is a painless process in which the sound waves are used to produce visual images of inside organs, tissues, and even blood flowing. Sonographers are professionals who use medical equipment to capture and interpret the images of the body organs.
- Making the patient aware of the procedures throughout the process.
- Gathering images of the body organs to produce them before the doctor.
- Analyzing and selecting the required images that need to be paid attention to while carrying out the examination process.
As we know that this is a professional field, so the students practice a lot before pursuing this profession. This is a technical profession that is why a lot of attention is required while carrying out the process. This report will be the basis for the main doctor upon which they will prescribe the medication. The salary ranges from around $100000 to $150000.
The demand for professionals is always high as the country needs well-qualified and well-skilled people who are experts in their field and can contribute to the development of their country.
- Bachelor’s degree in applied science or nursing from a university.
- Diploma course in ultrasound.
- Masters in medical imaging specialization.
The EMT course can be pursued regardless of whether you are graduated or still studying. Especially in this time of pandemic the need for medical professionals has increased and their workload has also increased. You can intern at these medical facilities/ hospitals as it will make you learn many new things, help you become good at managing things and also help the hospitals and professionals ease out their daily tasks. You can climb up the ladder gradually as your experience and expertise are developed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
- Can we become medical assistants with a bachelor’s degree?
You will be sent for training from your institute to work and earn an experience certificate for yourself during your degree. After completion surely you can search for an assistant position to learn about the field. The experience certificate will help you in getting placement.
- Do we need a degree or certification for becoming an equipment repairman?
Yes, you need a particular certificate in mechanical or electrical engineering. Along with that, you need an experience certificate to prove your worth.