With the current events going on, the world has moved on from the real world to the digital world, which opens up new possibilities and audiences. Many businesses have moved from traditional marketing to digital marketing, which allows them to expand their business or brand from local to global. Digital marketing requires knowledge about SEO and SEM that can be achieved with a few courses, and the demand for this skill is currently on the rise leading to a wide scope of work. The world of digital marketing is also highly paid and has multiple benefits. We will dive into more detail about the Digital Marketing career and you’ll get an idea is Digital Marketing a good career in 2021?
Essential Skills Required For Digital Marketing:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- Content Marketing
- Good understanding of Data Analytics
- Efficient Planning and Design-Based Thinking
- Being Tech Savvy
- Being Persuasive and Business Focused as well as Strategy Centered.
What Does A Digital Marketer Do?
A digital marketer’s basic functions are using different digital channels such as social media, websites, email marketing, blogs, and much more to generate an audience to the brand or business and create brand awareness. The digital marketer also has to use analytics and the data collected to identify weaknesses or downfalls and correct them to ensure positive results and an increase in engagement rates.
Design Based Thinking :
Design-based thinking is a crucial aspect of digital marketing and is used in every decision made. Design-based thinking refers to using user-friendly techniques or from the perspective of the user. This type of thinking is used for complex and large-scale problems as digital marketing is based mainly on the consumers to be easily understood and accessible by all.
Advantages Of A Career In Digital Marketing:
- Easy Access To Certifications – In most jobs, once you choose a specialization, it is difficult to transition into another field and troublesome to find the proper certifications and tools required. However, in digital marketing, many resources are available and accessible to all, and it is easy to transition into digital marketing.
- Evolving Industry – Since the global pandemic hit, the importance of digital marketing was widely noticed, and this industry got a huge boost. Due to this, it is an up-and-coming industry that has an increased number of opportunities.
- Earnings – This is a huge advantage in this field, as it is an evolving industry, there is a lot of room for negotiation. One of the best parts of this job is that it does not require an office and can be done in-house or remotely. It can also be done on a freelance basis as long as you have the desired skills and experience.
- Exploring Your Creative Side – As a part of digital marketing, you have the chance to experiment with different tools such as videos or design and audio production, and so much more. This allows you to expand your skillset and let your creativity flow to get the best results.
- Working With Different People – In the world of digital marketing, you will always be learning and meeting new people as you dive deeper into this industry. This allows you to create new clients and network with different people of different industries, which helps you create new opportunities to expand your business.
Disadvantages Of A Career In Digital Marketing:
- No Fixed Formula To Success – As this is a relatively new and evolving industry, there is no fixed way to reach the top. Each client will have a different need, and it will require new skills and more effort.
- Competition – Since there is a surge in this industry, more people are drawn into this career, leading to an increase in competition. There are many courses available that attract people with the expectations of becoming successful in the field. Still, it is a lot harder to stay up to date and compete with other digital marketers.
- Time Dedication – There are various aspects of digital marketing, such as domain hosting and social media marketing, that require a deep understanding and research to ensure the best results. In every aspect, you will have to do proper research to maintain on top of your competition and skills, and as a freelancer, this time commitment would double as you will be solely taking care of all the client’s needs.
How Much Money Does A Digital Marketer Make?
As this is a growing industry, there is no fixed amount of money a digital marketer makes, and it can also vary from job to job or if done freelance. Different positions have different salaries if you are applying for a job. These positions and their salaries are as follows:
- Junior Digital Marketer (No experience) – $40K per year
- Digital Marketing Specialist (4-8 years of experience) – $55K per year
- Digital Marketing Manager ( 8-10+ years of experience) – $97K per year
Jobs that are for specialists and managers pay higher than normal digital marketing jobs. The pricing of digital marketers in freelance is different. A digital marketer’s average income in freelance can range anywhere from $50 to $200 per hour based on skills and experience. Along with this, your personal brand will also impact the money you make, so it is essential to network and maintain a good reputation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the different tools that Digital Marketers use? There are multiple functions of a digital marketer such as SEO, SEM, Content Marketing, Analytics, and much more. All these functions require different tools to help with the automation, such as Google Analytics, Adsense, Google Adwords, Keyword Planner, Hootsuite, and sprout social. Digital marketers widely use these tools.
- Is Digital Banding the same as Digital Marketing? Digital branding is a fragment of digital marketing. Digital branding only focuses on the brand and creating awareness about a specific product or service. In contrast, digital marketing gives us a holistic view and will help create awareness and bring in more audience while maintaining a good relationship between the brand and its consumers.
- What are the career opportunities in Digital Marketing? Digital marketing helps you expand your skill set, which opens up many different opportunities. This can help you get a job as a professional or start your own business as an entrepreneur, or you can perform these services on a freelance basis and earn money.
- Should I buy a list for email marketing while starting? Although this seems like a sure way to gain subscribers and give a boost to your marketing, this will only damage your efforts. The best way to grow your company is to grow your email list organically, which will increase your brand awareness and receive a higher number of engagements.
- How do I build a Digital Marketing portfolio? To start, plan out some mock projects such as marketing your own social media and creating your own blog or website that can be used to showcase your skills and growth. You can also ask to market your family and friend’s social media or brands to increase your experience and exposure.
- Is it Hard to Become a Digital Marketer? It is difficult to start in digital marketing as there is a lot of competition, especially when starting freelance. There are many people attracted to this industry. You must be hardworking and willing to take some risks if you wish to get ahead in this field.
Becoming A Digital Marketer:
At this point, you should have a strong idea of what skills are required for this field and how to go about them to create a career in digital marketing. Typically, you must receive proper certifications and training for the field you wish to go into, as digital marketing has numerous fragments. After this, it is essential to build a strong portfolio and get as much exposure as you can. You can always use social media to your advantage. There is high competition in this industry but also great benefits and opportunities. The skills learned in digital marketing will help in this field and all fields that you may be interested in and give you a boost in starting your own brand. If you have any general questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.