Cyber security is the process through which the specialized engineers strengthen the cyber systems, including various internet servers, networks, devices such as – mobiles, computers, laptops, etc., electronic systems, and data information stored online from unauthorized access by hackers. Everything in daily routine currently relies online on the internet – using debits/credit cards online for transactions, storing personal information on computer systems, using navigations, and many more. Cyber security engineers are trained to deal with such cyber risks. First, these engineers identify the threats and malicious activities in various systems and software. Then they provide high technology solutions to protect against malware files, threats, hacking, and other cybercrimes. Lets know about Cyber Security Engineer Required Skills.
A cyber security engineer must have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information, technology, cyber security, or any related field. Applicants with higher degrees such as master’s or Ph.D. are mostly given preference. However, a degree does not cover all the skills required for a cyber security engineer. Other hard and soft skills are also required to succeed as a cyber security engineer. Various skills for cyber security engineers include programming skills, networking skills, knowledge of database platforms and operating systems, communication skills, problem-solving skills, and learning capacity.
- The main concern in cyber security is protecting data. For this, the cyber engineers must have a wide knowledge of the structure, storing, and dissemination of the data.
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems is important to deal with the vulnerabilities in the software systems.
- Excellent communication skills are needed to explain the complex idea to the audience who are unaware of the complex terms of cyber security.
- Problem-solving skills of a cyber security engineer must be strong to tackle the problems and deliver the solution under pressure and within a given deadline.
Skills Required for Becoming a Cyber Security Engineer
The job role of a cyber security engineer is skill demanding. Experience is required for an applicant to work as a security engineer. The degree must be computer science, cyber security, or information technology. Having a master’s or Ph.D. degree would be a plus point. The basic skills required are:
- Experience in working with various network security technologies, maintenance of firewalls, and database handling.
- Knowledge of various operating systems.
- Communication and Problem-solving skills.
- Able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Updated with the latest knowledge of the cyber security trends and tactics of the hackers.
Soft Skills Required for Cyber Security Engineer
A cyber security engineer should have some soft skills in addition to hard skills to work with excellence. Soft skills are also known as risk extenuation factors.
Cyber engineers are sometimes asked to have interdepartmental communication where the audience is laymen. For this, excellent communication skills are needed to explain a complex idea to an audience unfamiliar with the terms used in cyber security.
The cyber engineer has to respond quickly to security breaches. Therefore, solving any cyber security problems in the fast-paced environment is needed. Also, the engineer has to work under pressure.
Cyber security engineers have to keep themselves updated with the trending security threats and malicious activities to deal with new threats using their skills and knowledge.
Hard Skills Required for cyber Security Engineer.
Hard skills are the technical and critical skills that are the necessary and basic requirements for a cyber security engineer. The hard skills include:
A cyber security engineer must be familiar with networking skills such as subnetting, routing protocols, DNS, Voice over IP (VoIP), virtual private networks (VPN), encryption technologies and techniques, and secure network architectures. It is also important to know network security technologies – firewall and encryption.
Protecting the data of a system from malicious activities is the main concern of cyber security. So, for working on data protection, a wide knowledge of database platforms – how data is being structured, stored, and distributed is a must.
Knowledge of various operating systems
The software systems run on operating systems. Each operating system has its vulnerabilities. Therefore, a cyber engineer needs to know operating systems for diagnosing and resolving problems.
What are the Responsibilities of a Cyber Security Engineer?
The basic responsibilities of a cyber security engineer are sometimes similar to that of a security analyst, whose task is to protect a company’s sensitive information. The responsibilities are:
- Protecting the organization’s data, network, and system from security risks.
- Troubleshooting of the network as well as security problems.
- Responding to all network and system security breaks with the help of their team members.
- Enabling security controls to ensure the protection of the organization’s infrastructure and data.
- Conducting regular testing and identification of the network and system susceptibilities.
- Reporting and communicating with the relevant departments of the organization.
- Coding using C/C++, Java, Python, Node, Go, Ruby, etc.
- Conducting regular reviews of design and codes.
- Analyzing and then improving the scalability, stability, and efficiency of the system.
- Active participation in the change management process and identifying the changes required in the coding, product area, or system.
Name the top demanding Cyber Security Jobs?
In addition to the cyber security engineer job, there are five most demanding jobs in the field of cyber security.
- Network security engineer
- Information Technology security engineer
- Information security engineer
- Information systems security engineer
- Information assurance engineer
Cyber security is the art of strengthening the cyber systems – various servers, networks, devices, electronic systems, and the data information from the malicious activities and the unauthorized access by hackers. Cyber security engineers are specialized engineers who are experts in handling these cyber security systems and providing high technology solutions for the protection against such malicious threats. A cyber security engineer must have a degree in computer science, cyber security, or any related field. In addition to the degree, they must be proficient in different programming languages, mainly Python, Java, Node, and C++; expert in vulnerability testing; familiar with different operating systems and database platforms; knowledge of DNS, subnetting, encryption techniques, VPN, VoIP, and network routing methods. In addition to these hard skills, the cyber engineer should have soft skills, including communication and problem-solving skills.