People around the globe look for various jobs mainly based on their passion, if it is music, art, management, or something else. Likewise, many people hold dear, one of the biggest adrenaline rushes for humans, pets. Some like to mix their pet-loving skills with their jobs; hence they apply for pet care or other animal-related jobs. Let us know PetSmart Careers – Job Application Process (with screenshots), Salary, Benefits.
When thinking of a pet care unit known to everybody, PetSmart pops to mind. It offers countless jobs, one that is suited to any animal lover out there. Also, with the amazing benefits, and varied salaries the company offers, it makes it the best place to apply for a job, whether it be part-time or full-time. Hence, let us look at how they employ their pet-loving employees, with additional info about benefits and salaries.
How do they hire?
PetSmart offers a wide variety of jobs, from a cashier to a pet groomer. Hence, there are different hiring processes for each type of position. The types of posts include animal-related or managerial.
When you want to apply for a job at PetSmart, you have options to either apply online or through ads or other platforms. Most people nowadays apply online due to the sheer comfort of doing it at home.
You can apply for a job at PetSmart either by going to their official website or by popular job sites like indeed.
In the option on the right side of the page, there will be an option known a “career areas” where you will be given the different options/roles they have available.
After you have chosen which sector you want to work in, you will be provided with the locations that have jobs available in that position.
For example, here we are looking at the Retail Store Jobs available.
After applying for the job, you are asked to either register as a new member or sign in as a previous member.
Then you will be asked to accept the terms ad conditions. After you are inquired about submitting your resume.
After that, you will be asked to give your personal information.
You are then asked to answer some Equal Employment Opportunity Questions.
Lastly, you are asked some Pre-Employment Questions where they infer about whether or not you fit the conditions the company provides.
Then your application has been applied.
After they have accepted your application, you will have to appear for interviews to finalize your position at the company.
Entry Level Interviews:
This is the initial interview you have to go through right after getting selected. This process can happen within 2-3 days of your acceptance. At PetSmart, two interviews are happening at the beginning stage, both ranging from 15-30 minutes, where they will have to face the operations manager and are asked some basic questions. The most common opening question asked at this interview is “Why PetSmart?”. Hence, it will probably be in your best interest to prepare for this question beforehand. Including subjects about your involvement with pets, previous job experiences should boost your answer a lot more.
Now, depending on your position at the company, you will be asked different questions.
For Animal-related Job Interviews
- For Animal related jobs, the interviewers tend to ask different questions from your typical interviews. They ask you if you are allergic to any dog breeds or other animal species.
- In these interviews, a lot of the time asked are situational questions. For example, “what would you do if you didn’t know the answer to a question a customer had?” or “How would you introduce the dog training classes?”.
- Sometimes, interviewees get asked to pick a product ahead of them and have a few minutes to analyze it. Then, they have told to demonstrate how they would sell the product to a customer.
For Managerial Interviews:
- Unlike most companies, PetSmart puts its applicants through a different course of hiring when considering managerial positions.
- Applicants are gone through four rounds of interviews, predominantly through the phone. They are to be confronted by the operations managers, store managers, or human resources administrators.
- When looking for the perfect candidate, interviewers ensure the applicant has experience in every aspect of marketing, including customer service, employee development, and inventory management.
- They also ask you questions regarding your experiences in the management field. They ask you to demonstrate your response and behavior with given situations.
- For example:
“Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult co-worker or customer. What was the outcome? How could you have handled the situation differently?”.
- The hiring process, all in all, takes around two weeks for most positions or two months for managerial positions.
Depending on the position you get different salaries.
First, let us look at the salaries one would get depending on their position.
- As an Assistant Buyer: $65,979 per year.
- As an Associate Buyer: $82,311 per year.
- As a Buyer: $94,000 per year.
- As an Assistant Store Manager: $61,406 per year.
- As a Bookseller: $25,963 per year.
- As an Area Leader: $15.30 per hour.
- As an Assistant Manager: $17.11 per hour.
- As a Call Centre Manager: $74,033 per year.
- As an Assistant General Manager: $95,012 per year.
- As an Associate Manager: $16.49 per hour.
- As an Animal Caretaker: $11.81 per hour.
- As an Animal Trainer: $11.74 per hour.
- As a Dog Trainer: $15.29 per hour.
- As an Animal Technician: $9.38 per hour.
- As a Dog Day-care Attendant: $11.58 per hour.
In the United States,
An average PetSmart employee gets a salary of $21,000 per year for Senior lead Engineer to $153,617 per year for Senior Tax Manager. An average employee at PetSmart who is paid hourly will get $9.46 per hour for a Receptionist to $22.36 per hour for Merchandising Specialist.
Like most companies, PetSmart also offers its employees a wide variety of benefits.
PetSmart offers benefits for different medical problems. It includes:
- Medical Plans: This includes a program known as the High deductible Health Plan that covers many medical aspects like office visits, preventive care, drugs, lap expense, x-rays, and more.
- Health Programs: These programs include: 2nd M.D., Maternity Support Programs, Surgical Management Solutions, Virtual Visits, etc.
- Vision Plans: These plans include a vision plan for full-time attendants and their family expenses that covers eye examination exams, and they also get an allowance for frames, lenses, contact lenses, etc.
- Dental Plans: PetSmart offers a variety of dental plans for its employees to choose from. It includes Dental Plan 1, Dental Plan 2, Dental Health Maintenance Organisation Plan.
- Hearing Coverage: This covers any issue with your hearing if you are a full-time employee.
PetSmart offers their employee Employee discount.
- Items: Employees at PetSmart receive a 15% discount on all merchandise and services.
- Employees receive a 50% discount on Only Natural Pet, Simply Nourish, or Authority dry dog or cat food.
- Employees may obtain a free 6-week training group class for shop associates, as well as a free Doggie Day Camp session, if they work in Pet Services. They also get 50% off on all pet bath services.
- Associates also get 35% off on tools used in the salon.
Tuition Assistance Programs:
- PetSmart will reimburse an amount of $35000 for eligible associates.
- They can receive this benefit after working six months of continuous services and 15 hours/day of work.
- Employees need to tell their superiors about their educational goals and the courses and programs they are interested in.
Growing Your Family:
You will be eligible to have a medical nurse who is available for your queries. This plan also covers the purchase of a double electric breast pump.
UHC Fertility Program is a program that covers $25,000 for medical services and $10,000 for prescriptions for employees looking for fertility treatments.
Another program known as Progyny includes comprehensive coverage, a personalized guide, premier specialists.
Adoption Assistance Program: This plan allows employees with at least one year of service to apply for a reimbursement of $2000 per child. That can apply to domestic transportation costs, legal fees, etc.
Offers a plan for associates, and it makes sure to keep the pets happy and healthy.
For this plan, both full-time and part-time employees are eligible for pet insurance, and their pets will be taken care of when they are ill or injured.
- Fixed Holidays:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labour Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Vacation: Depending on their service length and position, most workers are entitled for paid leave.
Leave of Absence:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): associates are eligible for leave depending on the family situation and specific medical reasons. Including:
- A serious health condition that renders the associate unable to perform their job
- To bond with a kid through birth, adoption.
- to worry for a direct loved one
- A preparation of associate eligible family members within the U.S. military
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Employees with disabilities get special privileges such as medical leave, which needs to report to the supervisor. PetSmart makes sure the employee needs what their needs are and accommodates them. So, they can perform their job without any difficulties.
- Paid Parental Leave: Parents who are expecting can get a 4-week paid leave. It gets paid by considering the work done by an average worker that is 40 hours per week.
- Short-term Disability (STD): This plan provides income to employees who have suffered a short-term disability. This plan can benefit a solid 60% of weekly earnings.
- Maternity Leave: You will get paid leave after a report is submitted from your physician, and it also states your due delivery date. After the doctor has prescribed the employee not to work till 6-weeks after the delivery will be covered by STD Plan.
- Long Term Disability: This plan covers after the period of the STD plan after you have been deemed unable to work due to an extended illness or another injury. It covers 60% of your weekly income.
- Military Leave: Employees who have gotten a job in any type- of military service are eligible for this plan. 26-week unpaid leave given to the employee.
- Personal Leave: Any employee working at PetSmart can take up to 30 days’ leave.
- Worker’s Compensation: If injured due to work, you need to contact your supervisor, then all your medical expenses will be covered by the company.
- It is a plan where it is decided how much money from your pay-up you will be willing to pay up to IRS maximum. Investing in this plan will give you many benefits in the long term.
- For every 6% of your salary that you donate, PetSmart will deposit 50 cents to your account.
- When you invest in this plan, the tax you need to pay to the IRS will decrease.
• The ROTH 401 (K) Plan allows you to invest after-tax cash in order to get tax-free money when you retire.
PetSmart Associate Assistant Foundation (PAAF):
- It is a plan that helps PetSmart employees when they are facing extreme hardships due to traumatizing events.
- It covers expenses that are needed in one’s basic life, which the employee is unable to pay for. That can include electricity, gas expense, water expense, mortgage, etc.
- To apply, you can visit the internal Fetch site or converse with a PAAF administrator. An employee can receive up to a grant in a period of 12-months.
PetSmart is a magnificent pet-loving company that offers a unique way of hiring, unlike other companies. It also puts up varied salaries based on the position, which is either paid monthly or hourly. It also offers tons of benefits, and it considers all types of people and situations when it exhibits them. Considering all the points above, if you think it is the perfect job, go ahead and apply for it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q.1. Do you get paid for training at PetSmart?
Ans: Yes, you will get free and paid training.
Q.2. How long is the training at PetSmart?
Ans: PetSmart offers employees a period of 6-week free training. That can be a Pet Training Puppy or Beginner group class.
Q.3. How fast does PetSmart respond to applications?
Ans: PetSmart does not call you once your application gets reviewed. So, you would need to contact your local store to see if they have reviewed your application. If your resume seems well enough, they can take a week up to a month to respond.
Q.4. Does PetSmart have uniforms?
Ans: Yes, they have uniforms. It consists of a polo shirt that has the logo printed on it. It gets paired with khaki pants and dark-colored closed-toe shoes. Some of the stores allow the employees to wear blue jeans instead. All types of extra features such as colored hair, piercings, and tattoos are accepted.
Q.5. How long is the orientation at PetSmart?
Ans: There are 30-minute, 1-hour, or 4-hour sessions available.