The UPS Driver Helper Job Description varies as per the requirements of the situation. They help the driver in delivering the products to the clients or the customers. They are responsible for all tasks during the delivery of the product, such as filling paper works, recording the product’s deliveries, interacting with the clients or customers, and taking care of loading and unloading the products.
The job of a driver helper is full-time, but it requires overtime as well. This job requires outdoor visits. They tread faster, able to lift and carry packages up to 70 pounds continually. Work may require you to start early and have late finishes, which are quite common. They are most required to work on the weekends and during holidays because of busy schedule periods. The aspiring applicants looking for this job should possess great physical fitness, excellent communication skills, the ability to do multitasking and to reach the target within the scheduled deadline.
UPS driver helpers are the assistants to UPS drivers, who do various tasks other than driving, such as unloading and loading of trucks, calling the clients, collecting payment, handing paperwork and complaints of the customer, organizing the vehicle, and keeping it clean. The UPS driver helper job offer reaches a peak during the vacation season. The role demands excellent physical strength. The job comes with a benefits package to the employee, working for an hourly rate or full time.
The article helps you with information on UPS driver helper duties, working hours and salary.
UPS Driver Helper Job Description
The role of a UPS driver helper is mainly to assist the driver throughout the delivery process. The job openings are at their peak during the season of holidays. The following are the responsibilities of a UPS driver helper:
- UPS driver helper is not permitted by to drive the vehicle.
- It requires physical fitness.
- They have to help the driver to deliver the packages from the vehicle to the customers.
- If the packages are store up in the vehicle, the driver helper helps deliver the product to its door.
- On the route to delivery, the driver helper shall prepare the next packages for the coming deliveries.
- As it involves interaction with the customers, the driver helper should act politely and professionally while dealing with the customers.
- One who likes to stay active will fit this role and will be benefitted from perks.
Duties and Responsibilities of UPS Driver Helper
It depends on the type of organization, which determines the task to be done by the driver helper. It typically depends on the duties mention in the following:
- Assisting with Deliveries: Their main responsibilities involve assisting the driver during the loading and unloading of packages, delivering the products or the packages to the client or customers. They also help by navigating the driver towards the required destination on time and recording the delivery logs.
- Reporting Issues or Problems: If they face issues to reach the deadline on time or as per schedule, it is the duty of the driver’s helper to report the issue to the higher officials or the senior staffs of the company regarding the delay, and thus resolving the problem on time. They are supposed to work along with the drivers to fill logs and report packages to maintain accurate timings completed into the logbooks.
- Assisting the Driver by Navigating the Route: The driver helper should guide the driver by navigation, which is a part of the job. The driver helper acts as a mediator between the driver and warehouse staff to assist with the location and keep track of the deadlines. They shall manage with GPS and input the zonal codes, thereby updating the route to deliver the packages.
- Loading and Unloading of Trucks: As the driver helper helps assist the vehicle during loading and unloading of the vehicle, post the end of every shift, it is the duty of the driver helper to clean the truck and keep it tidy each time for the usage of next shift. Few of the other tasks in handling the raising device of the vehicle/truck to load or unload the packages or product.
Skills and Qualification for UPS Driver Helper
To endure long work hours, the driver helpers are supposed to be physically fit. They shall also work as a part of the process, thereby reaching deadlines on scheduled time. Apart from Physical fitness, they require a diploma in high school which signifies a basic education level. There is an additional quality that is expected in driver helper by few companies, which is mentioned below:
- Physical Strength/Stamina: They are responsible for lifting heavy packages that weigh up to 75 pounds. While few cases involve loading and unloading heavy items such as equipment onto the vehicle, the applicants require enough stamina to cope with the work.
- Service for the Customer: The driver helper is the one to interact directly with the customers often. They require strong communication skills, as they are supposed to act politely with the clients or customers. They should possess professional behavior to solve the complaints or issues during the process of delivery.
- Teamwork: This job role requires team effort; one shall work closely with their colleagues and assisting them with the deliveries. The vehicle’s loading and unloading require teamwork; thus, the applicants shall collaborate with their colleagues at work.
- Punctuality at Work: The driver helpers work for a tight schedule, thereby completing a certain amount of work within the company’s given set of time. It requires one to be punctual and managing their work hours effectively and efficiently.
UPS Driver Helper Education and Training
Although experienced candidates have an advantage for this role, the minimum requirement for a driver helper is to have completed a diploma in high school. Few companies shall offer jobs without diplomas from high school. Experienced colleagues shall give training for this position. Some companies required a proper driving license for this role—many other beneficial aspects of acquiring this role experience in customer service, retail, and sales.
Work Environment for UPS Driver Helper
As said earlier, being fit and enduring physical strength is one of the significant factors to become and driver helper. During a busy day, one may require to walk and climb stairs and the strength to lift packages weighing up to 75 pounds. The applicants should be aware of operating lifts, dolly, etc. Also, you shall be exposed to extreme weather conditions like rain, snow, and heat, as the job expectations are more of outdoors.
Outlook and Salary of UPS Driver Helper
The payment for a UPS driver helper shall vary depending on their location, work environment, etc. Their salary at a median rate is $11 per hour. The annual median salary is up to $29,000.In the tenth percentile, they earn around $18,000 per year. The highest pay is nearly $55,000.Few companies offer bonuses, with additional earnings up to $2000. They can pay up to $19 per hour in few areas depending on the demand of peak season. As they get experienced in the related field of work, there are chances of getting higher payment.
But, the job openings for driver’s helpers are in demand only at seasonal times. Based on their performance, one can get permanent with their job, with a higher payment. At the same time, many of the companies provide health benefits as part of their package annually. Full-time employees are benefited from various other plans such as paid vacation time, health insurance, and 401k. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics prediction, this particular sector could grow up to 4% by 2026.
Though a UPS driver helper has a demand for physical fitness, this job shall fit those who enjoy working in an active environment. There are many benefits and minimal payment for the aspiring applicant.
Also read Integrator Job Description, Duties & Salary