CareFULL Human Services is a not-for-profit organization based in New York that fully cares for the disabled and aids in integrating them into their societies. Our guiding principles are centered around our five core values: confidentiality, accountability, compassion, integrity, and innovation. We are a team of five hundred staff members working together to leave a mark in our clients’ lives. We will discuss Direct Support Professional Job Description here.
This is an entry-level, full-time role involving general care for the intellectually and developmentally disabled in our residential homes. The aim is to offer them daily individual support so that they can be involved in all aspects of community life.
A careful Direct Support Professional is required to be eligible to work in the country, have a clean criminal record, driver’s license, auto liability insurance, high school diploma or a GED Certificate, and a heart for people. We are then responsible for their specific training depending on their scope of work. Below are more specific details about this role;
Direct Support Professional Job Description
- You will be helping our clients daily to take care of themselves, for instance, ensuring they maintain personal hygiene, eat well, and exercise.
- You will be supporting our clients in other routine Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) like running errands.
- You will be in charge of promoting our clients’ emotional well-being.
- You will be required to drive our clients to and from their doctors’ visits when needed. You will be required to guide our clients in taking their medication where necessary and track their health progress.
- You will take our clients shopping and for walks in their neighborhoods. You will be expected to ensure the safety of our clients at all times.
- You will be expected to be proactive in reporting any unusual incidences beyond your control.
- You will be the point of contact for our clients’ families or guardians, or friends. You will be required to help our clients in budgeting their funds.
- You will be in charge of all necessary documentation, for instance, development plans and how they evolve and health progress reports where necessary.
- You will facilitate the development and implementation of individual and behavioral support plan goals.
- You will coordinate daily activities to meet these goals. You will help our clients grow their decision-making skills.
- You will train our clients to grow in social awareness and support them to participate in activities happening in their communities, like volunteering.
- You will guide and support our clients to undertake skill-enhancing projects like community training based on their individual support plan goals.
- Guided by our client’s interests and hobbies, you will organize leisure activities like city tours.
- You will be required to encourage our clients to be self-reliant and to reach their full potential.
- You will be required to advocate for our client’s rights and teach them to do the same when necessary.
All other tasks as assigned.
- You must be 18 years of age or above.
- It would help if you were permitted to work in the United States. You must be a fluent English Speaker.
- You must pass the pre-employment caregiver background check, reference check, physical and drug tests.
- You must be willing to comply with all our company policies and procedures and those from the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD).
- It would help if you treated clients and colleagues with respect and dignity. You must own a road-worthy car.
- You must be a good driver owning a valid New York State (NYS) driving license.
You must be a holder of an authenticated high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate. If you hold a bachelor’s degree in social work or psychology, that will be an added advantage.
- You are required to demonstrate knowledge of first aid, Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and general emergency response.
- You are required to have some level of experience in housekeeping activities.
- Some level of proven experience as a caregiver or working with people with disabilities is an added advantage.
Professional development requirements
You must be willing to take part in-company training and those required by the state. You must complete the required Direct Support Professional (DSP) and Registered Behavioural Technician (RBT) certifications within your first twelve months with the company.
- You must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- You must be energetic enough to stand for a long amount of time. You must be able to assist those with mobility challenges.
- You must provide a valid COVID-19 vaccination card.
- You must be an empathetic, patient and caring individual. You must be a lover of people and a friendly individual.
- You must have a positive demeanor.
- You must be someone who loves to encourage. You must be an excellent communicator.
- You must be a timekeeper.
- You should be a detail-oriented individual. You should be good at multitasking.
- You should have excellent social skills and an ability to interact with people from different cultures.
- It would help if you were flexible and adaptable to our clients’ needs. You should be innovative.
- You should be a conscientious individual who is fully dedicated to your role. You should be able to works well under pressure.
- You should be a team worker and a positive role model to your colleagues. You should be a dependable and reliable individual with a great work ethic.
How to apply
If you’re interested in this role, please email our Human resource manager ([email protected]) your cover letter, updated resume, a copy of your NYS driver’s license, high school diploma, or GED Certificate by 14th May 2021. You will hear from us two weeks after you have submitted your application.
Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have – M A R G A R E T M E A D
To make a difference in someone’s life you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care – M A N D Y H A L E