First impressions are crucial in an interview. When you walk into an interview, the first thing your interviewer notices about you is your appearance. This goes for the same in any firefighter interview. What you wear to a firefighter interview makes a big difference in the interviewer’s impression of you.
A firefighting job is a professional job. As such, when you walk in for a firefighter interview, you need to dress in a business-professional outfit. This includes suits and ties for men and pantsuits or skirts/blouses for women. Colors should be neutral tones, like dark blue or grey, and you should avoid anything flashy or exotic.
What is a Business Professional Outfit?
A business professional outfit is solely for professional purposes. It is an outfit worn in a professional setting. Wearing a business professional outfit is all about ‘dressing to impress. You need to be able to command respect and look professional in your outfit. This makes a positive impression on the interviewer.
However, the dress requirements for both men and women are different, though both follow a formal look. Therefore, understanding what constitutes a business professional outfit is essential for determining what to wear in a firefighter interview. Given below are the clothes that you need to consider wearing when walking to a firefighter interview.
Firefighter Interview Outfit for Men
As previously stated, men must wear suits and ties when attending a firefighter interview. Additionally, basic and neutral-toned clothing items are more preferred. For example, a dark blue suit or a grey suit with a white/light blue shirt. Flashy or loud and trendy pieces of clothing are a big ‘no’ as they set up an unprofessional vibe.
Besides that, you need to wear dress shoes, formal belts, coupled with a clean and shaven face. Getting a haircut a few days before the interview is also advisable, but not on the day of the interview itself. Good cologne will also definitely help you look more presentable. Just be careful not to overdo it.
Apart from clothing, you also need to keep in mind some other things. If you happen to have some tattoos, it would be best to cover them during the interview. It may not be an issue for the job, but it would be wise to keep them covered during the interview. You should also consider taking off your piercings if you have any.
Here are more details about what to wear for a firefighter interview for men:
- A Full Suit. A full suit is essential to your outfit for a firefighter interview. However, ‘simplicity is key’ when choosing a suit. You do not need to invest in something extravagant, like a tuxedo. The important thing to keep in mind is to choose a good-fitting suit in one solid color. Your suit jacket and pants should be the same color. The best suit colors would be grey and dark blue or other neutral colors.
- Collared Shirt and Necktie. A simple collared shirt that does not stand out too much is also essential to your outfit. The safest choice would be a solid white collar. Basic colors and simple patterns are also a good choice. Before wearing any shirt, remember to iron it and double-check the buttons. Choosing the right necktie color or pattern based on your shirt is also essential to making a good impression.
- Belts. Belts are an essential part of any outfit and you should wear them despite how well your pants fit you. Again, simplicity is the key here. Black or brown colored belts are the best colors depending on your outfit. Matching your belts with your shoes is also a good way of elevating your look.
- Leather Dress Shoes and Matching Appropriate Socks. Shoes are a key part of any outfit. A good pair of shoes can easily raise the appeal of your outfit or decrease its value. For a business professional outfit, the best shoes are undeniably leather dress shoes. A good pair of well-polished leather dress shoes and appropriate socks will help you to stand out in the interview. Solid colored socks, preferably black or other darker colors, are ideal.
Firefighter Interview Outfit for Women
An ideal business professional outfit for a firefighter interview for a woman would be a professional suit with a skirt or pants. Here, again, you should stick to neutral colors and avoid flashy and trendy looks. A clean and neat hairstyle can help you to enhance the rising appeal of your outfit. Piercings are okay, but you need to remove facial piercings for the interview if you have them. You can also use a nice-smelling perfume to boost your attractiveness, but do not overdo it.
Another important thing to keep in mind while attending an interview for a firefighter position is to avoid revealing or sexy outfits. This can often be very crucial for women. Extremely short skirt length or very revealing cleavage can send the wrong idea. It can make you look unprofessional as well.
Here are more details about what to wear to a firefighter interview for women:
- A Pantsuit. A pantsuit is ideal for women who wish to attend a firefighter interview. It is also a good alternative to skirts. Similar to men, neutral colors and a single solid color for both the pants and the jacket are ideal.
- Skirt Suits. Skirt suits are ideal for women who wish to wear a professional but more feminine look to a firefighter’s interview. Once again, the suit jacket and skirt must be the same color. Neutral colors are the best choices again. The best length for skirts is knee-length.
- Collared Shirt/Blouse. Like male outfits, a good female outfit for a firefighter interview includes a collared shirt/blouse. Similar to male outfits, a well-ironed button-down shirt, with neutral collars and simple patterns, is the best choice. Unlike men, women do not need neckties.
- Heels or Flats. Leather dress shoes are essential for male outfits. Similarly, heels and flats are essential for female outfits. You need to, however, choose shoes, which are professional looking and not too flashy. If you prefer wearing heels, the best height would be about three inches.
- Pantyhose. Wearing heels or flats restricts you from wearing socks. Socks do not go well with both type of footwear, its looks tacky and unprofessional. As such, pantyhose are the best option for a firefighter interview.
- Jewelry/Accessories. Unlike men, women do not need to wear belts. You could wear some form of jewelry or accessory. This can, however, blow up in your face, especially if you are too flashy. You can come off as unprofessional. A more refined and classy look would most likely be preferred. For example, small pendants, necklaces, rings, bracelets, etc.
Aside from the previously mentioned knowledge of what to wear, there are few other details to consider. Wearing good clothes alone is not enough; a good outfit is incomplete without proper grooming. You need to put in more effort to look more presentable.
How to Groom Yourself for a Firefighter Interview
Getting a good haircut is a great way to boost your look. Make sure that you do not go for something outrageous or flashy. Neat and simple is the best look for a firefighter interview. Interviewers are looking for candidates who can do their job well and look professional. Women can comb and brush their hair before the interview. You should choose professional and neat-looking ways of styling your hair. For men, you should get rid of facial hair for the firefighter interview. Of course, there are no guidelines instructing candidates to get rid of facial hair, but it is important. Besides, working in the fire department would probably require you to get rid of your beard if you do have one.
Ladies should work on keeping their makeup at a minimal amount. You may use some makeup to freshen up your look or cover some marks. However, you should not overdo it and try to avoid anything too noticeable.
Trimmed and Fixed Nails
Dirty and unkempt nails are very unattractive. You should make sure to trim your nails before the firefighter interview. Dirty and badly maintained nails are also a sign of poor hygiene and can put off the interviewer. Ladies need to avoid flashy nail colors or nail art. Good grooming habits are a bonus when you walk in for a firefighter interview. At the same time, bad grooming habits can hamper your chances, so spend some time improving your grooming habits.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does a firefighter’s interview last? Firefighter interviews typically last for about 20-30 minutes.
- What are some of the most important qualities for a firefighter to have? Some important qualities for a firefighter are – integrity, physical fitness, dedication, communication, etc.
- How long does it take to start working as a firefighter? It takes up to 3-4 months to become a certified firefighter.
The firefighter’s interview is an important step in the path of becoming a certified firefighter. You should do your best and keep the above-mentioned guidelines in mind while walking to the firefighter interview. As we have learned, appearance and self-presentation are an added benefits of the interview. So, make sure that you are wearing appropriate clothing and adopting good grooming habits.