You may think that is an unusual question to ask in the interview. But these kinds of questions are sometimes asked by the interviewer to know about certain affinity you feel strongly to some traits and personalities in those spirit animals that you may like or admire. This is an interesting way to have an understanding of what you are like and how you cope with challenges and setbacks. By choosing a spirit animal that resonates with your positive traits and answering this interview question will bring laurels and admiration to your interviewer’s eyes. But if you mention your favorite animal from the animal planet or answer in a generic way, it will not fulfill the purpose of the question and you will miss the chance of harnessing this question to its full potential. Here, let’s know some Spirit Animal Interview Questions.
Let’s find out what is a spirit animal and the context behind asking such a question in an interview.
- First of all, know that it is not asking about your spirituality and association with the animal nor is it a question about your spiritual connection with that animal so don’t get confused by it.
- Many indigenous people all over the world indeed associate with one or more spirit animals which are passed down from generation to generation.
- Many new-age practitioners have a strong link with such beliefs. For such groups of people, this question holds a greater weightage with their spiritual connection.
- But when you are asked this question in an interview room the context is entirely different. By your answer, they can determine your work ethic, values, and your analytical and social skills.
- All traits that make you a right fit for the position you are applying for. Some people who do not know why such a question is asked in an interview board room will be unable to answer it as they have not prepared for such a question.
- When such questions get asked, they want to see your quick thinking and pressure handling skills when asked such unusual questions. For one, the way you handle such weird questions with ease also shows your confidence and wit.
Let’s look at some of the types of questions that deal with a spirit animal.
- Name your favorite animal and why.
- If given a chance, which animal would you be?
- Which animal characteristics do you admire and why?
- Which animals best represent your character?
- Do you associate yourself with any spirit animals?
- Which animal qualities that you don’t like to possess?
- If you have to pick between a cat and a dog, who would you pick and why?
Since there is a possibility of asking such questions, it is better to start the preparation.
While preparing such questions, let’s see how not to answer such questions.
- Don’t say your favorite animal if you don’t have any traits that you may have.
- It is not an opportunity to blurt out the name of the cutest animal as it is not asking your favorite animal. For instance, pets, or wild animals you have or want to own.
How do you prepare for such a question?
- For starters, make a list of those animals that appeal to your personality and qualities. Make a deep comparison of it so that when the time comes for you to answer it, you can have a deep understanding of it and say it without hesitating.
- Make a note of examples of how you made use of its traits in a work/family or social group.
Here is how to get ahead of the game by answering well.
- Always choose the right animal. Don’t fall into the temptations of saying the first animal that comes to your mind as you will get stuck when you give further explanation.
- Online quizzes on matching your personality with the right animals do help to alleviate such a problem.
- If possible keep a handful of animals and use them according to the job roles you are applying for but make sure it is a genuine comparison and it should be beneficial to the role.
- You do not say it just for the heck of impressing your interviewer. For example, saying you have the physical strength of an elephant does not make a substantial answer.
- Please know that your interviewer has interviewed thousands of candidates and the answer to this question must have been heard a thousand times. In short, your interviewer can smell a fake answer from miles away. So better be careful.
- However, this kind of question is a great way to make your qualities and personality shine through in the interview board room.So welcome it with open arms and use it to your advantage.
Some of the good animal choices are:-
- Of course the faithful dog. They are friendly, loving, and faithful. They are associated with being sociable and a protector.
- Rabbits are known for their situational awareness.
- Butterflies are known for their adaptability.
- Cows are known for their caring maternal nature.
- Dolphins are known for their helpful nature and also for their excellent communication skills.
- Squirrels are resourceful creatures.
- Goats are good for their inquisitiveness and intelligence.
- Elephant for their empathy and multitasking ability.
- Cats are known for their independence and patience.
- Deers are intuitive and highly sensitive. It is gentle and graceful.
- Dove is gentle and quiet. It displays optimism.
- Eagle symbolizes focus and strength as it loves to fly above the storm.
- The lion represents authority and leadership.
- The mouse represents detail-oriented traits.
- Owls are known for wisdom and foresight.
- Turtles represent wisdom, guidance, and understanding.
- Tigers are intuitive.
- Sheep are known for good memory and obedience.
You may be thinking why do they ask such a question! Is it beneficial from the interviewer’s point of view? Yes, they can see through your answer, it gives a lot of insights on the person and they can make genuine intelligence association with your answer. They ask such questions to know how well you know yourself. Your way of answering this particular question will let them know if you are a shallow and lazy person or someone who loves to learn new things. It gives an insight into your interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships. For instance, only when you have a deep relationship with yourself, can you have a thriving intrapersonal relationship. This is a tricky question but it is the best one if you can handle it like a pro.