Leaving a job is completely your choice, but the interviewer will definitely ask you the reason for changing the job. Whatever the reason may be, your communication skills matter a lot while explaining your reason for the job shift. Your reason must not be childish and immature. The decision must be taken responsibly because it will affect your future planning. You should not open up much in front of the interviewer. Otherwise, your straightforward answer might land you in trouble.
Many people have many reasons. It could be anything. They could be dealing with some personal issues, or their work-life balance might be disturbed, or they might be underutilized and underpaid at the previous job. But, again, the reason could be anything. What is more important is how you convey all this to the interviewer so that there is no communication gap or disliking between the two individuals.
The quality that interviewers and hiring managers look for while hiring a person is how well the person can gel in the work atmosphere of the organization, how well he can get along with the people. So there is no sense of dispute in their company.
Why do interviewers want to know the reason for the job shift?
- Some people are in need of more salary so they shift their jobs regularly from one company to another and work where they get the highest salary. They shift their job once they find a better placement opportunity.
- Some people feel that their skills are not being developed working in the current organization so they make a shift in order to grow their skills and make a better living for themselves. If they find that the work they are doing is already good going but they are not able to move forward in their life and getting more stuck day by day then they definitely get out of that zone.
- Some people want to start their own business so they give immature and irresponsible reasons to leave the job and pursue their passion while not having any permanent source of reason. There must be a whole support system to support your financial needs in case you leave your job. The business also needs money flow to operate and keep going.
Then some people do not leave their job. Instead, they are kicked out of their roles for their rude or unacceptable behavior. This is the greatest red flag for any employer they look for while hiring a job. A person who cannot get along well with other people and is a complete jerk who does not want to understand anything or obey anyone, even the higher authorities, is not hired by any organization.
Reasons for Job Change: Positive and Negative
There are many positive and negative reasons. However, you must get the reason cleared before leaving the job. This decision will help or destroy your career.
SOME POSITIVE REASONS ARE:
- Higher Education: If you are planning to pursue higher education or higher studies then you need to leave your job because both cannot be managed at the same time. You cannot give attention to any of them if you carry on with both at the same time. Also pursuing higher studies will make you more skillful and enhance and open more opportunities for you.
- Developing Your Skills: If you want to develop new skills and make a shift in your career then this is a good reason because you are growing yourself. If you are stagnant and not moving forward then you might end up losing your current career also because of the latest trends and updates coming every day in society.
- Different Career Opportunities: If you want to shift your career entirely then you need to leave the previous one because continuing with both will not be a good option, there is a change in mindset when you feel the need of shifting your career.
- Family or Health Issues: There are many personal issues like your health being affected due to inappropriate conditions or even there are family issues. The employees shift their residence to some other city so they need to leave their current job. These all issues are acceptable and understandable.
- Flexible Work Hours: Many employees are not able to follow a fixed routine every day for a very long period of time like a 9-5 job does not suit people for a very long period of time. They like flexible work hours in which they can complete their targets, the company must provide flexible work hours to ensure retaining their employees.
- Different Opportunities in the Same Field: If the employees want to pursue a different field where they can explore different opportunities then that is a great idea because many people like to travel to different cities while changing jobs to explore the world.
- Stressful and Tiring: When your job involves traveling which is not suitable for most people, it can become tiring and stressful. Or if the workplace is far away from your home and you cannot afford to travel every day to such a large distance then it is very hectic.
SOME NEGATIVE REASONS ARE:
- Employers are Controlling: Many people who do not know how to adapt themselves and gain knowledge generally give this reason. They think that their manager or employer is controlling, but in reality, the case is different. You need to understand that everyone has their own way of talking, you should not try to keep them happy, just say your thing. Say yes if it suits you and says no if it doesn’t. This all should be done while maintaining respect for each other.
- Boring or Annoying Job: People who do not want to learn new things or grow further in life find everything boring. Everyone must have some goals that they fulfill each and every day and work towards them so that progress can be measured on a daily basis. This one quality will keep you charged and motivated every day.
- Demotivating Work and Environment: There is no such environment as demotivating work environment. Nothing can keep you motivated except you. If you maintain good relations with colleagues, work, and achieve your goals on a daily basis then no one can disturb your peace.
- Office Politics: This thing is prevalent in every industry and every office. Changing the job or changing the workplace will not ensure the end of office politics. This is a thing which is required for your growth, dealing with people is the utmost necessary skill you need to have.
- Poor Results and Performance: This thing can be solved and repaired only by you. If you are not able to work efficiently then it is your mistake and no one else’s. If you start concentrating on completing the work and your target then there would be no problem. Definitely, your performance will improve and you will be back on track. Leaving your job due to this reason is not at all professional or acceptable. The next organization will also not recruit you if you give them this reason.
What if you are currently working somewhere?
If you want to leave your job for a better opportunity, you are welcome because getting frustrated and leaving something is not a good option. However, if you are currently working somewhere, tell the manager that you are changing the job due to better opportunities for your future and growing yourself.
Changing the job just based on motivation to start your own business is not a good option. Or if you want to pursue your passion you are not aware or skilled about is also not a good option. But, again, this shows your irresponsible behavior and attitude.
- Instead, you must use this reason to your advantage that currently, you are working in a good position at a good place.
- Also, your work is never compromised due to which you are in good relation with the employer.
- But you just want to enhance your skillset due to which changing the job has become a necessity. This point will prove your consciousness and maturity.
Prepare for a few predictable questions that you think you would be asked because keeping the conversation light and simple would benefit your benefit. If you prepare for some questions, the employer might be happy to talk to you and listen to your problem; otherwise, they will not pay attention to your details. At the same time, do not sound like a robot and give very mean and rude answers. Instead, consider the fact that the manager is also a human and understands the individuals’ emotions. Therefore, talking to him or she nicely will surely get your task done.
Of course, you must be honest with your interview, but you must know how to frame the answers.
- Framing in the correct way will ensure that none of the parties get annoyed or disrespected.
- You must not start to hate your manager or your job. Instead, you must look at what went wrong because everyone is correct in their own way.
- The blame game will never come to an end so never get into it. Your goals are not aligned or do not match with the company is a good reason to leave the place.
Also, while you are at a learning stage where things are not clear to you, you must focus on understanding the things and how to get them done and not repeat the same mistake next time. The situation is bad, not a person, remember that.
What if you were fired from the previous organization?
There could be any reason for getting fired. There are many terms and conditions of companies which you need to adhere to. You cannot disclose any confidential information outside the company. But whenever this question is asked, you need to clearly explain the correct and true reason for getting fired from the previous company. Just make the correct use of words and communicate effectively, not to impact your impression. Every employer will understand the reason if you communicate effectively. Speaking something bad about your employer or your company or your colleagues working there will not benefit you. You need to be grateful for your past. Nothing else is beneficial. This quality will add up your bonus points.
Also, you can elaborate on what your past taught you and what you have learned, and how you will apply those learnings in the future.
- There are situations where companies fire their employees if your role is not required by the company or if you are not performing well enough. Also many times there is a financial crisis going on in the company due to which unwanted employees are fired from their job.
- Many times the company fires an employee if he or she is not able to meet the expectations of the company like for example completing the task on time or maintaining and growing productivity. If an employee stops growing and becomes comfortable with his current position then it becomes difficult for the company to retain him as he or she becomes the liability for the company.
- If the person is ready to take up the responsibility and move further in his or her career despite any challenges or obstacles then he or she might prove to be an asset to the company. So also take up more responsibility, explore your areas of interest and develop expertise in one or two fields so that you become irreplaceable. This way you will help grow both the company and yourself.
While explaining the reasons, do not get too emotional or frustrated that you annoy the other person and want to get rid of you. This is because the other person will also understand your problem as he is also working in a company. You can say lines that you want to become an irreplaceable part of the organization or an asset to the company. This situation never happens again, and you are never fired due to inefficiency.
How to answer the questions of the interview positively?
You don’t need to criticize the company or the officials of that company. Just explain your plans and aspirations to the employer. This will leave a good impression. But criticizing someone and mocking them will leave a bad impression on you.
If you hate your job and current working condition, whenever an employer asks you why you would shift your job, instead of answering that you hate your boss and he is of no good, answer like this that “I want to learn new skills, transform my career instead of getting stuck, I cannot learn anything new, and the company does not have any relevant openings.” This answer will show your effective communication skills to follow your heart without disappointing anyone.
Make sure you know your problem clearly, but you don’t need to tell and explain that problem clearly to the employer. Instead, you need to frame your answers before speaking out the real truth. This practice will help you remain safe and maintain a good relationship with the other person.
Sometimes the company lays off the employees, and this is understandable. That company might be facing any problem or diversifying their operations, changing their business lines due to which they require new talent. This happens many times due to changes in technology. When companies decide to carry out their operations with the latest technology, at that time, they cut a lot of manpower.
For example, in the automation engineering field, earlier, the requirement was to make sure that maximum output can be generated out of machines and they work and do not stop while working. But now the condition is that robots now do all the work done by labor, and they can work on their own once they are programmed. So right now, technicians with sound knowledge about computer programming, software development, and coding are required to handle the robots and their functioning. This technology change is constant, and it will continue to happen every day.
To cope with this, you need to continuously upgrade your skills and caliber so that your demand does not vanish. Similar is the case with other industries, as soon as there is new technology available which can save company’s cost and time they immediately take up and move on to that technology. When you answer this question positively by giving such an example, you leave a good lasting impression on them, raising the employer’s trust in you and hiring you quickly. This impression also helps you in retaining the relationship with the employer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Should people change companies due to an inappropriate atmosphere?
No, people should not change companies due to an inappropriate atmosphere. You must try to gel in with everything that comes to you because if you cannot unlearn something, you must learn new things. There is no such thing as an inappropriate atmosphere. You must maintain a respectable relationship with everyone so that they can be of use anytime you require. Be tougher than your problems. The one who changes companies due to the inappropriate atmosphere is certainly not able to get along with people, so they must focus on working on their people skills or social skills instead of trying to push away the problem.
- Should the employees ask any questions or discuss feedback with the company officials?
Yes, this is necessary to discuss feedback and your experience with the company because the officials do not know your problem if you do not discuss it. Therefore, you must definitely contact the company officials all the time so that a good relationship is maintained and there is no communication gap between them both. Also, your perspective will help the company to improve their management, which will prove to be good for the next employees in the company.
- What if the company does not support your goals and aspirations?
There might be a communication gap between you and the company. If you think that company is not supporting your goals, they probably might not be aware of that. So discuss with them. Today most companies help their employees get ahead in their career path by sponsoring their education or skill-based courses. The employees need to pass certain exams, and if they pass, then the whole of the fees is paid by the company, and then the employee is promoted to the company where he learns new responsibilities and new tasks. This is called career growth.
- How to prepare for the last interview?
- Be very clear in your mind why you want to leave this job and pursue the next one so that you don’t become blank with the interviewer.
- Practice some questions that you think might be asked in the interview so you are well prepared before yourself. This has a benefit also that during the interview you would not feel stressed or unplanned so it’s better to plan the things beforehand itself.
- You must listen and consider the points of the manager as well, keep the points in your mind after the interview. Things that are turn offs that do not work and the points that work and are in your favor. This will help you even next time in your next situation.
- Try to keep your nervousness at the lowest. There is certainly some point where you feel anxious but following all the above points will help you keep your nerves calm.