Amazon is one of the world’s largest retail platforms catering to the necessities and the weirdest products of people worldwide. The secret to such a successful e-commerce platform lies in the magical Amazon Warehouse – the place that handles all the orders before they are sent out for delivery. The ‘Behind The Scenes’ of the perfect delivery. To ensure their safety, warehouse employees must maintain certain rules and regulations ranging from their duties to even their dress code. Yes, there is a Amazon Warehouse Dress Code Policy, just not the ‘same uniform for all kinds.
Confused? Read on to find out more details about the dress code laid out for Amazon warehouse employees. Find out the details no job description tells you but equally important for you to excel at your job duties at the warehouse. Save yourself from early penalties by reading on, and prepare yourself for a great first day at the Amazon Warehouse.
Is there a Amazon Warehouse Dress Code for Employees?
Amazon warehouse employees do not have a uniform that they need to wear. However, as the warehouse duties include loading, unloading, and carrying heavy objects around the huge campus, employees need to be comfortable in their outfits. Keeping this in mind, Amazon allows its warehouse employees to wear clothes they are comfortable in, to work for long shifts. That being said, Amazon does provide some guidelines to its warehouse employees for their dress code that they need to follow with their comfort. Applicants might wonder here about the need for such guidelines when they expect the employees to be comfortable in what they wear.
Listed below are some of the reasons for issuing dress code guidelines for the employees:
- Even though the Amazon warehouse is only a storage and packaging workplace where the employees do not represent the company to any third party, the warehouse is still a part of one of the world’s largest multinational companies. Such guidelines ensure that the vibe of a work environment stays while also giving the employees their freedom while working.
- The warehouse duties include using large tools such as forklifts and pallet jacks. It also includes packing and sorting out the products and carrying them to the different stations. The warehouse workers need to ensure that they do not cause any damage to themselves or the products while performing their duties. In such a case, wearing baggy and loose clothes, or wearing heels might hinder the performance of the employee.
- Amazon is an e-commerce company that sells every day as well as fancy products. The warehouse employees have complete access to all these products and the chances of thefts and damages are much higher than in any other workplace. By issuing guidelines about the dress codes and the accessories, the company is better able to monitor and prevent such mishaps.
What Do the Dress Code Guidelines Cover?
Although the term ‘dress code’ implies the rules and regulations regarding a person’s clothing, the Amazon warehouse uses it to cover the overall appearance and the belongings they bring in with them. Therefore, the dress code of an Amazon warehouse worker includes their clothes, the jewelry/accessories they wear, as well as the belongings they bring inside the warehouse.
The general guidelines to remember while dressing up to work at the Amazon warehouse are as follows:
- Employees are expected to wear clothes that they are comfortable in. All employees need to remember that the Amazon warehouse is a closed space and the temperatures inside may vary from extreme cold to extreme heat. Warehouse workers should thus dress accordingly.
- It is also important for the warehouse employees to wear clothes and accessories that do not get caught in the machinery or any other products while they work. Similarly, they should also keep their nails and hair in a manner that they do not damage or interfere with their duties.
- Amazon prides itself on being an all-inclusive employer. The company has policies against the discrimination of any person based on their race, gender, or any kind of disability. In consideration of that, the warehouse employees are not allowed to wear any clothes with slogans or pictures that are offensive to any person or group.
Specifically, there are some pieces of clothing and articles that the Amazon warehouse forbids its employees from wearing:
- Tops – Warehouse workers are not allowed to wear loose t-shirts, tops with baggy sleeves, crop tops, booty shorts, skirts, or anything else too revealing. Amazon employees can wear hoodies but they need to ensure that there are no hanging strings in them. It is also expected that the employees do not wear anything with an offensive slogan on it.
- Bottoms – Amazon also expects its warehouse employees to wear fitted jeans. Jeans or pants with loose bottoms or an overall baggy fitting might hinder the duties. Employees should also remember to not have any other hanging ornament such as a tassel in their outfit.
- Shoes – For shoes, warehouse employees can wear closed shoes of different kinds. Considering the amount of walking that the warehouse employees are expected to do, it is recommended that they wear shoes with thick soles. Non-metallic, hard toes, tennis shoes, or any other shoe with solid soles.
- Hair and Nails – Warehouse employees at Amazon need to have their hair tied up properly if they are too long and pinned if necessary. This is necessary to ensure that they do not get caught in any machinery or a package while the employees are working. There is no particular guideline about the nails of the employees, they can be long or short as long as the employees follow the safety requirements.
- Other Accessories – As part of the steps taken to prevent and control any sorts of thefts at the warehouse, Amazon does not allow the warehouse workers to wear any jewelry, long, hanging, or loop earrings. Amazon also prohibits its warehouse employees to bring in any accessories inside the warehouse. The warehouse workers are prohibited from getting their phones inside the warehouse. However, they can use their phones during their breaks. Such strict rules about bringing in articles are only to keep track of the stock of Amazon as the company sells all the everyday products.
- Safety Equipment – All warehouse employees at Amazon are given reflective vests according to their duties at the warehouse and high visibility helmets as well to prevent any mishaps. It is mandatory for all warehouse workers to wear the safety equipment they are provided with. An addition to the safety equipment is the Tech Vest. The tech vest has been introduced as a result of the influx of robots in the warehouse work environment. These vests alert the robots of their human co-workers in their vicinity and help them in avoiding any collisions or accidents.
Are the Amazon Dress Code Rules the Same Everywhere?
As laid down by Amazon, the Dress Code Rules are mostly the same for all warehouses, considering the safety requirements. However, there can be slight variations in the guidelines depending on the region of the warehouse and the regional policies and even the weather conditions. Even so, the guidelines do not change significantly region-wise as well. Therefore, it is still safe for the employees to go through the dress code guidelines specifically for their work area.
Are Warehouse Employees Penalized for Any Violations?
The Amazon Warehouse works with a points system for its employees. This means that the employees get a certain number of points for every infraction. It also means that any dress code violation would contribute to the number of points an employee has collected. Warehouse employees are terminated once they get 6 points. Thus, it would be recommended that the applicants not violate any dress code rules as they are not too restrictive.
So, Dress Code Or No Dress Code?
Summing up for all those who lost track and need a recap, the Amazon warehouse does not have any uniforms for its employees. Instead, it has certain guidelines for casual wear. The guidelines revolve around the safety requirements of the warehouse as well as the comfort of the employees. The warehouse duties are physically demanding and require the use of several types of equipment which might be dangerous. The Amazon warehouse thus expects its employees to wear clothing that does not get caught anywhere or interfere in their duties.
Loose, hanging, and offensive clothing is prohibited, as is carrying any accessory/jewelry or any other article inside the warehouse (including mobile phones). In addition, the warehouse workers expected to tie their hair up, preventing them from getting caught anywhere. Finally, all warehouse employees must wear the safety gear provided by Amazon, including reflective vests, helmets, and tech vests, wherever required. These dress code guidelines are universal for all Amazon warehouses but might vary slightly depending on the location. A failure to comply with these guidelines would lead the employees to get penalty points.
With this special information that no other ordinary job description would provide, you, dear reader, are better equipped to begin your journey in the fascinating world of the Amazon Warehouse.