Just as security agents are employed to secure government and individual properties, organization data needs to be secured from cyber attacks. With the global reliance and recent development in Information technology, there is a need to protect networks, data, and computer systems from cybercrimes. This has made cyber security a vital skill in information technology. Let us know more detail about ‘Cyber Security Engineers Required Skills’.
Cyber Security Engineers Required Skills
What is a Cyber Security Engineer?
Cyber security deals with the protection of networks, systems, and data of organizations and individuals from threats using hardware, software, and various security policies. Cyber security engineers identify threats and weaknesses in computer software and systems, develop and implement solutions and prevent all forms of cybercrimes using cyber engineering skills and techniques. These professionals as well ensure systems and networks are up to date and are working effectively through continuous tests and monitoring.
How can one become a cyber security engineer?
One has to go through different processes. These processes include;
Degree Acquisition: This is a popular way to kickstart one’s career in cyber security engineering. Such Degrees are acquired in a high institution in relevant fields such as computer science, Cyber security, and information technology. These degrees could be bachelor’s or post-graduate degrees.
Internship: To acquire practical experience one needs to take up internship opportunities after acquiring degrees or certification in cyber security. Various organizations offer such opportunities for cyber security personnel.
Online certifications: One can take online courses on cyber security and get certified on online platforms such as Udemy. This can enable one to take up internship positions and advance his or her knowledge.
Certification: To be regarded as an engineer, one has to go beyond acquiring degrees and basic certificates to being certified by engineering bodies. Some of the certifications include CCNP, CISA, and other certifications listed earlier.
The required skills for cyber security engineers can be grouped into different categories. The categories and the skills involved include:
To execute the job of a cyber security engineer, communication with teammates and customers is necessary. Under the communication category, the skills a cyber security engineer should acquire include;
1. Active listening skills.
2. Effective presentation to management and communication with the organization’s customers.
3. Ability to understand written and oral information.
2. Technical Skills
These are core skills needed by cyber security engineers to carry out their primary task of securing an organization’s system and data effectively. It also involves acquiring certifications to prove such an individual is technically equipped to carry out the task. The skills under this category include;
2. Database Knowledge: A cyber security engineer has to understand and know how a database works. The database is the storage facility for user data and organization data. This means that it is the treasure house of an organization. Therefore, a cyber security engineer must have an in-depth knowledge of data structure, data storage, and data dissemination before being able to secure it.
3. Knowledge of operating Systems: A cyber security engineer should have a deep knowledge of different operating systems and how they work. That will enable him to know the type of program that works on different computers and identify threats to them. The different operating systems are IoS and Android for mobile devices and Microsoft Windows, Linux, and macOS for computers.
4. Networking: A cyber security engineer has to have an inside out knowledge of networking and understand virtual private networks(VPNs), routing, encryption techniques, network architecture, and network security technologies to operate effectively.
5. Mastery of Security policies: A knowledge of local and international security policies and how to work with them is necessary for cyber security engineers. These policies include those developed by the government and the organization which show how cyber security personnel should operate. Mastery of these policies makes the work of a cyber security engineer easier and more effective.
3. Implementation Skills
This has to do with the implementation of plans and solutions. An effective cyber security engineer must be able to monitor the security system, implement tests, and run vulnerability assessments of developed solutions. Some skills here include;
1. Ability to implement solutions in a real-life scenario.
2. Ability to analyze, strategize and develop steps to make a program work.
4. Management Skills
A cyber security engineer has to process various management skills to operate effectively. This is because the department is theirs to control and report developments. That makes it easy for the engineer to work with other members. The management skills needed by a cyber security engineer include;
1. Monitoring: A cyber security engineer has to monitor the system and data of the organization and continues to know when there are cyber threats and attacks on the organization.
2. Control: There is a need to control the activities carried out by team members as well as other workers and the management who may have low knowledge of the effect of their activities on the security of the organization.
3. Planning: As we have said earlier, a cyber security engineer plans a project, develops objectives, and prepares steps to achieve his objectives in an organization.
4. Team play: Team play is also a necessary skill. A cyber security engineer should be able to work with other cyber security personnel to achieve set objectives. If every member of the cyber security team of an organization works different roles, they can achieve big projects easily.
Which certifications do cyber security engineers need?
To be a cyber security engineer to increase one’s chances of getting cyber security jobs, one should acquire one or more of these certificates;
1. CCNP Security – CISCO Certified Network Professional Security.
2. CISA – Certified Information System Auditor
3. CEH – Certified Ethical Hacker
5. The GAIC security certifications.
6. CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professionals.
To meet up with the complex nature of cyber crimes, cyber security engineers need to acquaint the self with additional skills. The cyber security skills in this article could help an individual get to the standard required by present-day organizations. These skills will help secure organizations’ and users’ data as well as systems and networks which would help them function efficiently.