Knowing unemployment benefits will help you have financial stability even when you don’t have a secure job. In this article, you will find simple and easy-to-follow steps to guide you in the process of completing your weekly certification online. A weekly certification is a set of questions that determine one’s eligibility for Unemployment Insurance benefits per week. One can file a claim for a particular week when one wants to receive an unemployment benefit payment for that week. A calendar week for unemployment insurance (UI) starts from Sunday and ends on Saturday. Here, we’ll know about NM Unemployment Weekly Certification.
Filing Weekly Certification
- If you have met the eligibility requirement for the previous week, you can complete your weekly certification as a statement.
- The weekly certification is related directly to the payment on the claim. This certification generates payment.
- You cannot certify for a week until it has come to an end.
- If you have earned any wages during the week, you must report it too. Wages are to be reported as one earns them, not as one gets paid.
- There are two ways in which the weekly certification can be done:
- By logging on to www.jobs.nm.us
- By having a word with a Customer Service agent at 1-877-664-6984
- Completing weekly certifications online is highly recommended. This will help you avoid long hours of waiting, which happens when you try to complete the process over the phone.
Online Completion of Weekly Certification
- To complete the process online, log on to www.jobs.nm.us. Click on ‘log in’ in the upper right corner and choose ‘individual’.
- On the next screen, you need to enter your username and password.
- If you have forgotten your username or password, click on the options which say, “forgot username”, “forgot password” or “login assistance” as per your requirement.
- Next, you need to click on ‘Unemployment Insurance Benefits’. This will lead you to your homepage.
How to start weekly certification?
- Click on “Pending Weekly Certifications”.
- Click on “Start Weekly Certification” and refer to the FAQs if needed.
- Verify your address in the next step. If any of your contact information has changed, use the “update” option. Then click “confirm”.
The Initial Questions
- Follow the instructions as given and click on “Next”.
- You will then be asked if you worked for a particular week and the type of employee that you are.
- If you worked during the given week, including self-employment, select ‘Yes’. On completing this section, you will have to enter your gross wages and the number of hours you worked to submit your certification. Else select ‘No’.
- Click ‘Next’ to continue.
Questions Related to Employment
- You will be asked the following questions here:
- If you were offered employment during the given week
- Whether or not you quit your job
- If you were discharged from the job
- After selecting the relevant options and filling in other details, click “next”
Inquiry Related to Pension Payment
Here you must fill in if you received a pension payment during the week that was earlier not reported. Select the best-suited option and enter the necessary details. Then click on “Next”.
Able, Available, and Actively Looking for Work
You will be asked questions to confirm if you are able, available, and searching for a job in the said week. You are required to fulfill the required criteria to qualify for unemployment benefits. After selecting the suitable options, click “Finish”. If you worked during the specific week, you will be led to the “earnings” section, else you will be directed to the work search section. Click on “earnings” to continue.
Enter Your Earnings
You need to enter details regarding your earnings here. These include gross wages, the total number of hours worked during the reported week if any of the wages were from military service, etc. Once you have filled in the details, click “Next”.
Select “add employer” to add your employer in this section. If needed, fill the “self-employment” section. Do not add yourself as the employer. Click on “Next” to continue.
Work Search Section
Enter your work search contacts and activities for the week by clicking on the ‘work search’ section. On the next screen, enter the number of work search contacts you made during the week and click on ‘Next. Enter the details about your work search contact or activity on the next screen. Repeat the process for as many work search contacts or activities as you have in reserve. After entering all your contacts and activities, click on “Next”.
Plan to Search for Work
Here you will be asked how you plan to look for the week. Go through the available options carefully and select the ones that apply. To continue, click “Next”.
On the next screen, you can review your response to the work search contacts or the work search plan that you provided. After confirming that you have filled in all details correctly, check the box next to the declaration. You then need to enter your initials in the box below and click “finish”.
Review and Submit
- On clicking “review and submit”, you can find your responses to the previous questions. You can modify your answers by clicking on “modify answers”.
- Click on “work search contacts”. You will be able to make any required changes in your previous responses by clicking on “modify answers”.
- Go to “acknowledgment” and check the box to certify that all information provided by you is true and correct.
- Click submit.
- You will receive a confirmation stating that your submission is complete.
- If you have another week to certify, look for the “pending certification” section and start the certification for that week.
When you file your certification, you must search for work each week for which you claim benefits. When you get a questionnaire for additional information, fill it incorrectly to proceed. Report all wages you earned for the given week. Even if there are pending issues or a pending appeal on your claim, continue certifying each week.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to contact the department to close my claim?
No, you need not contact the department to close your claim. Just stop certifying. Your claim will close automatically.
- Do I need to certify for benefits after getting a full-time job?
No, discontinue certifying for benefits once you start working full-time. The only exception is when your gross wages are less than your weekly UI benefit amount.