Students who consider engineering a career must be curious about the world around them. There must be a curiosity for Math and Science subjects among the students and possess an aptitude towards these subjects. The work of Civil engineers revolves around designing and structuring Private and Public buildings, roads and airports, and water systems. Structural engineers analyze, design, build and maintain the structures and materials that can bear the pressures.let us know about that the Salaries For Structural And Civil Engineer.
Civil Engineers and Structural Engineers earn the same salaries that often increase with experience. The average salary for a Civil Engineer is $87,225 and for a Structural Engineer is $88,385 per year. Structural and Civil Engineers are always in high demand to complete the structures of Buildings and repair structures for the Government and Companies.
Skills and qualifications required to become a structural engineer
Graduates in Civil or Structural Engineering are eligible for this post. Having a degree in another engineering or Science discipline may help to enter the field, but it might take a long time. Skills that are required to become a structural Engineer:
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Problem-solving and good analytical skills.
- Literacy in computers.
- Thorough knowledge of the subject of Physics.
- Extraordinary written and oral communication skills.
- Competency in diagrammatic Skills.
Skills and qualifications required to become a cicvil engineer
Graduates in Civil and Structural Engineering are eligible for this post. Skills that are required to become a Civil Engineer:
- Technical Skills- A good Civil Engineer should know the technical skills such as solving and identification of civil engineering problems. Some important technical skills including quantity surveying and project billing are needed to be inculcated.
- Project Management.
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills.
Salary and growth
Civil and structural engineers earn similar salaries that often increase with experience. The average salary for a civil engineer is $87,225, whereas the average salary for a structural engineer is $88,385. The more companies and Governments start to build new projects, the more structural and civil engineers will be in high demand.
Salaries in the field of civil engineering
Best paying cities
The Metropolitan areas paying the highest salaries to Civil Engineering are New Orleans, Sacramento, San Francisco, Redding, and Naples.
In New Orleans, Louisiana the Civil Engineers get $ 125,910.
In Sacramento, California the Civil Engineers get $ 121, 970.
In San Francisco, California the Civil Engineers get $119,860.
In Redding, California the Civil Engineers get $119,250.
In Naples, Florida the Civil Engineers get $118,110.
Best paying states
The States and districts that pay the highest salary to Civil Engineers include California, New York, Alaska, and Oklahoma.
In California, Civil Engineers get $113,200.
In New York, Civil Engineers get $105,210
In New Jersey, Civil Engineers get $100,690
In Alaska, Civil Engineers get $100,160
In Oklahoma, Civil Engineers get $98,940.
The factors that affect the salaries
Including region and Education, the factors that affect the salaries of Civil Engineers are Industry, Employer, and Specialty. In this particular field of Employment, the top paying places with the highest average annual salary include Disposal companies and Waste treatment ($127,050), Companies that deal with oil and gas extraction ($124,670), Computer systems design and related services ($114,890).
Salaries in the field of structural engineering
In the U.S, the average salary for a Structural Engineer is $90,086 per year. The increase or decrease in salary depends on the years of experience. The experience between 1 to 2 years can help to earn $71,815 whereas more than 10 years of experience can help to earn up to $222,600.
The highest paying cities in the U.S for structural engineering
In New York, NY the salary is $104,424 per year.
In Everett, WA the salary is $92,297 per year.
In Hillsboro, OR the salary is $91,557 per year.
In Kansas City, MO the salary is $89,370 per year.
In Indianapolis, IN the salary is $88,952 per year.
In Portsmouth, NH the salary is $87,918 per year.
The difference in tasks between a civil and structural engineeer
The foremost responsibility of a Civil Engineer includes taking care of the basic design and planning of construction. The construction site is being managed by them and they have to ensure that all the guidelines are followed properly.
Structural Engineers are mainly focused on structural aspects of the building that is based on load-bearing designs and materials. Some initial project planning may be structured by them but that area is not their field of focus.
Characteristics of a civil and structural engineer
A Civil engineer’s primary task is to supervise and design the construction of the properties. Civil Engineers perform the following responsibilities :
- Constructing designs that can be used in various building materials.
- Analyzing maps, drawings, and photographs that are connected to the projects.
- Communicating with subcontractors, Clients, and architects.
Structural Engineering is a section of Civil Engineering. A Structural Engineer is trained in Civil Engineering along with Structural Engineering necessities. The tasks that are allotted to the Structural Engineers include:
- Understanding and explaining the components of the structure to determine the pressure on it generated by the Environmental influence.
- Mathematical calculations are performed by them.
- They design a structure that can tolerate all external challenges.
- They usually execute their planning, with the help of computer specification designs and structural models.
Types of projects allocated to the civil engineers
- Construction of roads and reconstruction of it.
- Construction of bridges.
- Studies of floods based on different regions.
- Collection of stormwater.
Types of projects allocated to the structural engineers
- Designs of the water treatment plant.
- Structuring a draw-off tower of a reservoir.
- Designing a bridge and rehabilitation the bridge.
- Assessment of the condition of the bridge and building.
Professions like Structural Engineering and Civil Engineering, are more or less very similar to each other. Both professions are extremely challenging according to their job structure. The hike in salary in both these fields depends on the experience. The more one gets to experience the chances of getting a handsome salary will increase. If the Government undertake new projects their opportunity will also be increased.