When deciding what career to immerse yourself in, it is imperative to know what you will get out of it. This is not an easy choice and certainly not one that you can make overnight. To choose the right path, you must know everything about it. And thus, if you wish to go down the road of becoming a DevOps engineer, then you have landed at the right place! Read ahead to find out all about being a DevOps engineer and the money you’ll be bound to make as a senior DevOps engineer! In this article we shall see salaries for senior DevOps engineer.
A senior DevOps Engineer is a person who has around 4-6 years of experience in the field, or even more. As regards the salary of a senior DevOps Engineer, it ranges from anything between $$119683 to $135173! Moreover, a DevOps Engineer’s salary also depends on his location.
Salary of a DevOps Engineer Based on Location
Since the article mainly addresses the salary of a senior DevOps engineer, let us address this query first. When looking at the salary of a DevOps Engineer in the United States, you must bear in mind that the average annual salary is around $104122 to $118829! However, the annual salary that a DevOps engineer bags depends highly on the location that he is seeking to settle in! To get a clearer picture, let us have a look at some of these locations:
- Sunnyvale, California: the salary a DevOps Engineer is prone to receive in Sunnyvale, CA is around $145656.
- Santa Rosa, California: If you are a DevOps Engineer working in Santa Rosa, then you will tend to receive an annual salary of around $141793.
- Vacaville, California: In Vacaville, CA, you are bound to get an annual salary of $133854.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts: If you find yourself seeking a job in Cambridge as a DevOps Engineer, then you will get an annual salary of around $136891.
- New York City, New York: In New York City, the annual salary of a DevOps Engineer can be around $133195.
Salary of a DevOps Engineer Based on Experience
Now that we have a basic idea of the salary that a DevOps Engineer might get based on the location in the US, let us move forward. The salary of a DevOps Engineer is not bound to stay the same; it changes over time and also depends on a person’s experience in the field.
- O-1 Year of Experience: To get in the position of a DevOps Engineer, one needs to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or any other related field. Besides this, one also needs to have a sound knowledge of software development and networking. A person with 0-1 year of experience as a DevOps Engineer or any other related field, can get an annual salary of around $104122 and has the potential to rise up to $118829.
- 1-3 Years of Experience: With 1-3 years of experience, a DevOps Engineer must have quite a good knowledge of data structures and computer structures, and must also have a sound understanding of the required DevOps tools. Thus, a person with 1-3 years of experience in the field has the potential to get an annual package of around $111957. With a little extra hard work and the recurring intent to learn new things, one can get a raise of up to $120955.
- 4-6 Years of Experience: When one has 4-6 years of experience in this field, he can also be categorized as a senior DevOps Engineer. There is no doubt that to be known as a senior DevOps Engineer is quite a big deal, and to get in this position, one needs to go par excellence. Simply having a good understanding of the required software and concepts is not enough; one needs to get right down to business and have experience in running such software. The annual salary package of a senior DevOps Engineer starts from $119683 and can easily go up to $135173!
Courses to Undertake to Enhance Your Position as a DevOps Engineer
By now, you must have acquired a thorough knowledge regarding the different types of salaries that DevOps Engineers get based on their experience in the said field. However, merely gathering information will not do. In addition to this, you must also be aware of the different courses that are bound to enhance your resume. These courses will not only help you in getting more knowledge but will also make employers see your worth with just one look at your resume!
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) Certificate: This course aims at providing more knowledge regarding cloud platforms than you already have. The duration of the course can range from anything between 3 to 6 months, depending on your pace to learn. By the end of the couse, you will be able to get the hang of a high-level programming language!
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA): The duration of the course can range from 40 to 60 hours in total, and since it is an online course, you have the advantage of going at your own pace. Although a bit expensive, by enrolling yourself in this course, you will be able to configure, control, and manage Kubernetes clusters and perform a basic installation.
- Docker Certified Associate (DCA): As a diploma course, this can last up to anywhere near 12 months to 2 years, depending on your learning and time-devoting pace. Since as a tool, Docker uses containers, this course will help hone your skills with containers, installation, and networking!
- Puppet Certified Professional: This is a short course whose duration ranges from 3 to 7 days. When getting enrolled in this course, you must be aware that this will help you in creating software and with infrastructure changes.
Since DevOps Engineers come under the field of computer and technology, it is a universally known fact that they are prone to get quite a high annual package! It is only natural that one constantly aims to reach new heights every day, and this means that as a DevOps Engineer, you must be looking for ways to raise your annual package. Thus, have a look at the courses mentioned above. Once you expand your knowledge and areas of expertise, you are bound to get a raise!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the average annual salary package of a DevOps Engineer in the US?
On average, a DevOps Engineer in the US earns $104122-$11889.
- Which place in the US offers the highest annual salary package?
Sunnyvale in California offers an annual salary package of around $145656.