What is Amazon Web Service(AWS)?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a cloud computing platform, made up of a collection of remote servers, that allows you to use Amazon’s infrastructure to store and host your software. This means you get access to all of Amazon’s infrastructure at costs far lower than building out your own server farm. Here we will see about AWS solution architect salary
Why does AWS cost less? Well, you don’t have to buy any physical hardware, power it on or cool it down; instead, you rent space in an already existing server farm at costs that scale with demand. Amazon handles everything from there. You can start small and add more resources as you need them without having to worry about whether they will be available when you need them.
- AWS also has many pre-built tools that help make development easier—for example, Amazon offers a load balancer so developers don’t have to build their own architecture for distributing traffic across multiple servers.
- There are many other services available as well—Amazon even offers storage solutions such as S3 (Simple Storage Service), which provides simple object storage over HTTP or HTTPS. Amazon also offers SimpleDB, which is a fully managed data warehouse service for storing structured data such as text, numbers and binary objects using web services interfaces.
The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Solutions Architect is responsible for designing and building solutions on Amazon Web Services (AWS) for customers. The Solutions Architect works with customers to understand their business objectives and then designs a solution that meets their needs by leveraging different AWS services, such as AWS RDS, AWS EC2, and the new AWS Lambda service announced at re: Invent 2014 in Las Vegas, NV. This new service allows you to create applications in the cloud without managing servers or operating systems.
Job Description(AWS Solution Architect)
- It is a job that requires deep technical skills and experience in building enterprise solutions.
- If you want to make money as an AWS solution architect, you will need to be good at designing solutions that can help clients optimize their businesses using cloud computing technology.
- To make money as an AWS solution architect, you’ll need strong programming skills and experience with one or more of these technologies: Amazon EC2, Amazon EBS, Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), Auto Scaling (AS), Relational Database Service (RDS), Simple Storage Service (S3), Elastic Block Store (EBS), AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM).
Typical career progression in this job
- AWS Solution Architect salaries typically range from $60,000 to $100,000 with experience. These are average figures that can vary widely based on skills and location.
- You could earn more in a major tech hub like Seattle or less in smaller cities. The pay rate also depends on your level of experience within AWS; professionals who have been around for several years will have higher salaries than recent hires with similar experience levels.
- Salaries at small companies usually reflect that company’s size—if you work for a startup, you might get paid less than you would at larger firms.
- On average, AWS solution architect make more salary money as they gain more years of experience; over time your salary increases beyond basic inflationary raises to keep up with increased demand for your skills.
- It is common for AWS solution architect to start out making salary between $50,000 and $70,000 per year and advance quickly as their skill set becomes more specialized. It is not uncommon for them to be earning six-figure salaries by mid-career.
- This career path allows you to increase your income quickly if you invest heavily in learning new technologies, taking additional certifications or completing advanced degrees such as an MBA or MS in Computer Science (CS). AWS Solution Architect tend to see their salary increase dramatically after obtaining certifications from Amazon (for example: AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate) due to increasing specialization and higher demand.
- The AWS Solutions Architect Certification is a practical and hands-on certification, which enables individuals to show employers that they have mastered the real-world skills necessary to effectively use Amazon Web Services.
- To become certified, an individual must pass a computer-based test. In addition, candidates must have at least one year of experience working with AWS on multiple projects for companies or commercial users.
- The AWS Solution Architect Certification is offered in three forms: Associate Level (SAA), Professional Level (SCA), and Specialty Areas (SEC). To be eligible for each certification level, candidates must possess a specific number of professional months in various categories within their qualifying work experience. This determines whether they are ready to take an exam specific to that level.
- For example, those interested in pursuing SCA certification must have 12 months of professional experience using AWS services from any combination of these areas: EC2, S3, VPCs/VPC Peering, CloudFront/CloudFront Domain Name Registration/CloudFront Origins Access Identifiers (CNAMEs), SQS, SNS, SimpleDB.
- Those who want to achieve SAA certification must have six months of experience in two out of four areas: EC2; S3; VPCs/VPC Peering; CloudFront/CloudFront Domain Name Registration/CloudFront Origins Access Identifiers (CNAMEs); SQS; SNS; SimpleDB.
You’ll work in an office setting, but some travel may be required. You must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds. Must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent; four years of experience in architecture design required; AS/BS degree in computer science or related engineering field preferred. Work requires advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet Explorer, and Windows-based systems as well as excellent communication skills and customer service orientation. Familiarity with XML is preferred as well as expertise with other technologies such as J2EE or SQL Server databases. May be requested to operate various kinds of machinery including office equipment and hand tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and hammers for minor repair tasks.
Job outlook/growth potential
According to Payscale, The median annual pay for a Solutions Architect was $91,568 in October 2015. The middle 50 percent earned between $69,672 and $112,093. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $53,541, while the highest 10 percent earned more than $142,655. AWS Solution Architects can earn large salaries due to their work on high-profile projects and their complex knowledge of AWS solutions. AWS is one of the fastest growing cloud computing companies in history, which means there are a lot of opportunities for AWS Solution Architects who want to grow their careers.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Individuals interested in becoming an AWS Solutions Architect should be prepared to complete a 1-year, post-secondary program at a university or college.
- If your background is non-technical, we will still consider you for our technical positions, but your prior work experience will likely not be relevant to this role and may require additional training.
- In addition, if you have never worked in IT before, you are unlikely to become an AWS Solution Architect. This role requires experience with and knowledge of one or more of these fields: Linux (specifically CentOS), AWS product architecture and/or virtualization technologies such as VMWare ESX. An AWS Certified Solutions Architect certification is also required for entry into this role.
Architects with AWS-specific skills will always be in demand, so this will likely result in an increased salary for those who have these skills and are willing to switch to AWS from other systems.
So, if you’re interested in becoming an AWS Solution Architect, there are many things to consider first before getting started! Which are stated above in this article.