A program manger is a professional who deal with many activities of the company and coordinate with the people and make strategies to work on the projects. For example, they may be in charge of several projects that support a new product launch, such as developing a marketing campaign, implementing a new sales process and opening new stores. Let us know more detail about ‘Program Manager’.
Program manager is responsible for the delivery of the output/product of the program, coordinate teams working on related projects and they do not manage individual projects.
Responsibilities of the product manager
• Daily program management throughout the program management– A program manager responsible for daily management throughout the program, he has to look day to day activity.
• Planning the overall program and monitoring the progress-It means it’s the main task of a program manager to plan the overall program and monitor the progress and improve the mistakes if happens and assure everything work smoothly.
• Manage program budget-For every program a budget is required to run the task, it the duty of them to manage the budget and do thing efficiently.
• Managing risks and issues and take corrective actions –In any program problems and risk are normal, but to overcome the problem and minimize the risk is the duty of them, and take correct decisions which are important for the program and for the company.
• Coordinating the projects and their inter dependencies -It means the project manager should have enough capability to coordinate the project and their inter dependencies.
• Managing and utilizing resources across the projects– It is the most important duty of them to manage all the resources and ensure no resource is waste across the project.
• Managing stakeholders -Maintaining good relations with people at work is also part of a job role of them, it will motivate the team members and they will do work with more enthusiasm.
• Aligning the deliverables – It the last role of them is to deliver the project to the other management.
Program– A program is a process to manage and deliver the multiple related projects to improve performance and efficiency of an organization.
Qualities required by a program manager
Leadership quality is very important for them, they know how to manage the team and gain trust of the team members, and state good example in front of them
Some programs are very confusing or complex, many times required lots of people, a manager do his job with great dedication, so that nothing gets left and everyone knows their work
Communication is very important in any field, without effective communications, a company cannot do much work and progress, a good manager is the one whose communication is very good and he can provide a vision that everyone can understand.
Is program manager necessary?
Yes, it is very important to have a program manager in company, They play very important role in the company and also plays a lead role like other managers, they are helpful for managing day to day activities, they coordinate activities and give detailed attention to program strategy, they do more work as compared to other managers and their salaries are better than other managers working in the company
Salary of a program manager
According to a research there are million of jobs across the world, the starting salary for them is around $35000 per year, which can be increase up to $ 60000 in most of the cases, but in case they has experience, skills and good education, his salary can be more than $100000 per year depending on certain factors. Education is very important, those who opt for further studies earn higher income, the average salary of those who have Associate degree is around $30000 as compared to $70000 who have Bachelor’s degrees. During the covid-19 time, there has shown a slight decrease in the salary percentage from 0.2 percent between 2020 and 2021. Salary of them is better than any other manager of this level in all the countries of the world.
There are few sectors where the salaries are good for a program manager role, these are: –
• Information Technology
• Software development
Certifications For Program Manager
Program management professional:
This is a professional certificate of program manager given to those who have good experience in managing projects. This certificate indicate that you are very professional proficient in complex programs and help the organisations to achieve their goal
Associate in project management:
This certificate is given to those manager who have a strong understanding of how to use the resources effectively and efficiently, it brings changes, program managers typically pursue this credential.
Managing successful programmes practitioner:
It focuses on giving beneficial results and involve risk and engaging with stakeholders.
After the post of program manager, and with hard work and experience, a program manager can promote to a post of senior project manager, director or can also promoted to vice president according to their performance.
A program manager is a very reputed and high profile job in India and in other countries, for some people it’s their dream job and it required lots of hard work and patience job are limited for this post and the salary offers is also very good and enough to live a good life style Program manager is a very reputed job and work of them is quite difficult and need hard work and good knowledge of market and finance, program manager has to do lots of work and to maintain the decorum among team members, sometime have to give motivational to the team members, communication is very important in the job.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What qualifications is required to be a program manager?
Ans. You must need a bachelor’s degree and some experience in the work of project management. Minimum 2-3 years of experience are sufficient to became a program manager.
- Can I become a program manager without degree?
Ans. Yes you can become, there are some certifications, that help you to become a program manager if you don’t have a degree and there are also some other steps.