Labcorp (also known as Laboratory Corporation of American Holdings) is an S7P 500 company and a leading global life sciences company that operates one of the largest clinical laboratories and end-to-end drug development services. The global operation scale of Labcorp has provided the openings of various employments from diverse fields, such as marketing, administrative to scientific research. Now the question is, how do you look for Labcorp Careers at one of the largest clinical laboratory companies in the world?
This article will dive deep into all the details of Labcorp, from what job opportunities are offered at the company to the salary outlook to the interview questions. As a company, Labcorp is dedicated to providing opportunities and challenges that ensure growth and the continual development of their team members’ careers. So for those of you who are passionate about improving global health and want to make a difference, starting a career at Labcorp is exactly for you!
Types of Labcorp Careers?
The answer to the above question is that Labcorp provides vast opportunities for people from all over the US. Labcorp is always looking for critical thinkers, creative, capable of demonstrating integrity in their work, and exhibit leadership skills. Currently, they have over 1,400 active jobs spread over the states. To handle a huge number of applications, Labcorp’s only method for job application is through https://jobs.labcorp.com/. The website itself lists all job openings in detail. It separates them by category and locations, making it easier for prospective applicants to track the number of job openings per state.
Other notable application information is of the following:
- Minimum age requirement: While the minimum age requirement is not explicitly stated, most positions require applicants to have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Working hours: The work hours for each position will be different and have already been pre-determined by Labcorp. Some positions will also be required to work overtime. More information regarding the work and overtime schedule can be seen on the job’s web page.
- Talent Community: If you want to stay updated on new job openings, you can join Labcorp’s Talent Community to receive job recommendations based on your skills and preferred employment locations.
Job Opportunities for Military Veterans
One of the core values of Labcorp is its pride in ensuring a diverse and inclusive team, where every employee is given the same opportunity and access towards growth regardless of their gender identity, race, and sexual orientation. Labcorp employment is open for civilians and military veterans interested in pursuing a career in the life sciences industry. Labcorp provides a job matching skills engine known as the “Military Skills Translator for veterans looking for employment.”
Internship Opportunity for University Students
Paid internship at Labcorp is also available for university students interested in being part of Labcorp and passionate about changing people’s lives for the better. The application process for internships is similar to the job application process and follows the same steps. Great candidates for this internship are usually university students studying in the STEM + H (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics + Healthcare) field. Additional points are given to students who are currently majoring/minoring in the following studies:
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical Technology
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Information Technology
The Job Benefits
Regardless of the position you’re applying to, all employees at Labcorp are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Healthcare: Medical, Vision, Dental Insurance, and Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Time Off: Time off and other Life Balance Programs are available.
- Financial Security: Stock Purchase Plan, 401(k) retirement plan, and other perks
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life and disability insurance
- Available to certain positions
- Top of Form
Salary and Profession Outlook
- Professional Outlook: As a global life sciences company, Labcorp has many departments with different functions. In total, there are 9 career areas with their own related jobs. Those careers are differentiated into the following areas/fields:
- Laboratory technical professionals
- Laboratory support professionals
- Phlebotomy services
- Client and call center services
- Pathology services
- Courier services
- Information technology
- Salary Outlook: Like any other company, Labcorp does not show the salary range of any position on their website. However, if an applicant wants research to prepare themselves better, there are various jobs and salary websites that have done a survey from Labcorp employees and managed to calculate the average salary.
Here are several top jobs at Labcorp and their average salary (information taken from Glassdoor):
- Phlebotomist: This position has a wide array of responsibilities, which includes having to collect blood samples by venepuncture for all age groups, collect specimens for drug screens, paternity tests, alcohol tests. They also need to perform data entry of patient information, process billing information and collect payments when required, preparing specimens for testing and analysis, updating the information logs, fulfilling administrative duties, and traveling to additional sites. All in all, the phlebotomist at Labcorp has a range salary of between $29,246 – $54,507. On average, they are paid around $35,430 per year.
- Lab Assistant: Lab Assistants are always in demand due to the amount of work done at the various laboratory clinics around the world. They are responsible for preparing laboratory specimens for analysis and testing, picking up and deliver samples to clients/hospitals, spinning samples, pouring urine tubes, and creating frozen samples. Other job duties include identifying and labeling specimens, packing, and shipping specimens to the proper testing facilities, performing audits to resolve any outstanding issues. They have a salary range of around $11 – $42. The average salary is $15 per hour.
- Laboratory Technologist: They are responsible for making sure that the technical equipment and testing procedures can run smoothly. In detail, their job desks include determining the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established criteria, performing routine and complex technical procedures according to the department’s SOP, monitoring, and operating instrumentation to ensure proper functionality. It’s also mandatory for laboratory technologists to be able to solve problems and make technical decisions regarding testing, preparing, and evaluating new reagents or controls, and maintain the safety of the work environment by wearing personal protective equipment. Laboratory technologist’s salaries range from around $16 – $32 and their average earnings are about $19 per hour.
- Customer Service Representative: Belonging to the sales and market department, CSR acts as a liaison between LabCorp, the customer base, and patients. Other responsibilities include resolving customer products requests or services via calls or emails, speaking with customers in a courteous, friendly, and professional manner using protocol procedures, provide additional customer education and information as needed, participate in activities designed to improve customer satisfaction and business performance. They also have to qualify and establish inbound new customers requesting LabCorp’s products and services. Overall, CSR jobs have a salary range of $11 – $26 but their average salary is $16 per hour.
- Courier: Couriers are responsible for the preparations and delivery of specimens to LabCorp and/or other contracted reference laboratories. Other relevant job duties include preparing the laboratory specimens for various analysis and testing, researching, and resolving customer and specimen problems, sending test requests to proper location and release test results, assisting clients with any specimen related requests or inquires, providing support to various areas of the laboratory and maintaining a clean and safe work environment. Couriers’ salary range is around $12 – $24. However, their hourly average salary is $14.
How Does the Application Process Start?
Applicants are expected to apply through their company website https://jobs.labcorp.com/ and create a Labcorp account beforehand to be eligible for the application. This is because the account serves as a resume for yourself. You’ll have to fill in the information regarding personal data, work, and education, what you are looking for in a position, and general questions for applicants. When you are finished with your account, you no longer need to fill in the basic application information when the application begins. You need to select the position you want and click “Apply Now” to start the application process.
Since your account already has the necessary information for an application, you’ll see only through a series of skills assessment and other pre-interview questions before finally applying to the Human Resources department to be reviewed (which then you’ll receive a notification email for). Applicants can apply for more than one position and are even encouraged to do so.
Before submitting your application, make sure to double-check your contact information. Applicants can update their information if needed by signing up to their Labcorp account at https://jobs.labcorp.com/ and click “Edit Profile” in the left-hand navigation.
Job Application for Military Veterans
Application for military veterans is made through this website: https://labcorp-veterans.jobs/. On the website, prospective applicants can see all the listed jobs available and relevant to the skills veterans had honed during their time serving the country. Despite that, the application process is mostly the same, where applicants need to create a Labcorp account/resume to be eligible to apply. When you’ve created the account and selected the position you want, you’ll be redirected to the job page at the original job.labcorp.com.
Should You do a Follow Up?
Labcorp states that if the position you applied for has been filled, you’ll automatically be notified via email.
Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, all interviews are done virtually. Despite that, applicants should still take care of their appearance by wearing professional attire and keep themselves clean, tidy, and well-kept. The interview mostly involves questions about your previous work experiences, strengths and weaknesses, certifications in the relevant field, and your availability to work during the pre-determined working hours (and to work overtime if your position requires you to). But considering the vast array of jobs offered at Labcorp, several questions are specific to each position and serve to see your capability in the related field. Some of the interview questions are:
- Do you have any experience in drawing blood samples?
- What are the orders of drawing blood?
- Name a few ways a sample can be unsuitable for testing!
- Lab Assistant:
- What experience do you have working in a lab setting?
- Are you a team player?
- Customer Service Representative:
- Describe your experience in handling an upset customer.
- What do you think great customer service should look like?
- Laboratory Technologist:
- Describe what you know about personal protective equipment (PPE).
- How will you act if a problem arose?
Overall, the hiring process takes up a few days until several weeks to complete.
Helpful Research for Your Interview at Labcorp
When applying to a company, it’s always a great idea to research more about their history, values, and initiatives to educate yourself more about the company’s working environment and culture. Here are some of the information that could be useful for your application at Labcorp:
- Established in 1978, Labcorp was first known as Roche BioMedical before changing its name. The company’s headquarters are in Burlington, North Carolina.
- As a company dedicated to helping its employees explore and reach their full potential, Labcorp provides many opportunities for mentorship, workshops, and online classes.
- To promote inclusion between employees, Labcorp facilitates the creation of an Employee Resource Group (ERG), which functions as a forum for people who share a common interest or background to socialize, build a social network, and increasing awareness and advocacy by being ambassadors and giving back to the local community.
- Labcorp ensures the confidentiality of their applicants’ information and that it is used for employment purposes only.
- Labcorp prides itself in supporting women’s leadership through various means, such as the Women’s Empowerment Network and Women in Leadership initiatives.
- In 2020, Labcorp was recognized as one of the “2020 Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality” by Human Rights Campaign Foundation. This marks their third consecutive year of receiving this recognition.
Also read Chef De Partie Job Description, Duties & Salary