Do you know that not everyone knows how to identify their career prospect or the job that fits their educational background? Several people are out there looking earnestly and sweating under the scorching sun, searching for jobs. They have searched every nook and cranny of the town but still couldn’t get the one that suits their taste or the one that appeals to them. If you are one of such people, then you are in the right place. It’s not easy to look and get a job that fits your personality, so people are assigned and responsible for this. These people help others get jobs and identify their career prospects, skills, and areas of specialization. These people are known as job coaches. So, what’s the job description of a job coach, what for they do, and can you become one of them if that’s the job you seek? It’s quite simple. Without further ado, let’s get straight into it.
Description of a Job Coach
Job Coaches are professionals and certified people who help identify both job and career advancement opportunities for clients based on their educational background, experience, needs, objectives, and skillsets. They assist people in need of their service to identify and enhance their job skills, analyze the job seeker’s resume, suggest improvements where needed, and ensure that they are adequately prepared and mentally ready for job interviews.
Job coaches are also regarded as mentors eager and always available to support other people looking for a livelihood. They help discover people’s strengths and weaknesses, guide and direct them by telling them what works best for them and what doesn’t. They analyze the job seekers, thoroughly dissect their skills, knowledge, and abilities before recommending a career path or job for them.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Job Coach
From the description above, you must have come across some of the duties and responsibilities of a job coach; but for emphasis sake.
Here are the responsibilities of a job coach:
- A job coach is responsible for developing and creating effective job coaching plans and employment opportunities to help job seekers.
- They ensure unhinged and smooth communication with people seeking jobs to understand better their skill sets, goals, dreams, and ambitions.
- They help job seekers discover, understand, and overcome personal setbacks, hindrances and set realistic, achievable goals.
- A job coach’s responsibility is to assess individuals’ strengths, teach them how to improve them, and identify their weaknesses and teach them to convert them to strengths and use them effectively.
- They guide people in learning to complete job tasks within a stipulated time frame.
- They motivate, advise, and counsel people who might have failed in past jobs.
- A job coach provides coaching, tutoring, and information to help their clients understand effective job search techniques and get their dreamed jobs.
- They also assist people with special needs/disabilities in developing excellent social and life skills that are generally acceptable.
- They teach people with special needs/disabilities how to use job-related tools, instruments, and equipment correctly to get a befitting job.
- They track and assess the progress of clients and offer support when the need arises.
- Job coaches keep records, paperwork, tabs, and documentations about their clients and prepare appropriate reports.
- Device means and implements effective strategies to assist people in overcoming employment-related challenges.
- They Provide detailed information on suitable career paths by evaluating and thoroughly examining clients’ skills, qualifications, interests, and experience.
- Job coaches conduct various tests and examinations to assess clients’ skills and abilities and provide feedback on test results.
- Some of them liaise with employers and hiring managers to identify possible job opportunities and requirements for clients with special needs (disabled).
Educational Qualification and Experience.
The educational requirements of a job coach differ from one employer to another. While some of the employers/hiring managers accept candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Psychology, or a related field, others prefer a High school diploma, BSc/BA in social studies, or a relevant lot.
Before anyone can be accepted as a job coach, apart from their educational qualification, it is expected that they have proven experience working as a Job coach or experience in working with people with disabilities.
Required Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge of an aspiring Job coach.
- Knowledge and proficiency in all Microsoft Office App, such as MS Excel, PowerPoint, MS Office, etc.
- Sound and vast knowledge of different jobs and career opportunities.
- Strong proficient problem-solving and critical analytical skills.
- Proven ability to adhere to rules, regulations, and standards set down by the state.
- Vast knowledge about job coach work ethics and policies.
- Excellent research, organizational, and time management skills.
- Practical and outstanding communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills
- Must possess the ability to inspire and motivate.
- Must be a reasonable observer and ready to work with the disabled.
Job Coach Salary
The first thing many people consider before choosing a career path or job is the salary expectations of such employment. Some jobs are too demanding but pay little, which isn’t enough for the strength, effort, and time put into it. The average annual salary expectation of a job coach is between $58,500-$70,000. The salary range depends on the employer and the hours of working per year.
Becoming a job coach is very easy, especially if you have a passion for helping other people achieve their dream job and follow their career path. As a job coach, you play a significant role in directing, guarding, and assisting people in choosing a career path that suits their educational background, experience, and personality.
Every job has its challenges, so whenever you face challenges, especially if it has to do with the physically challenged or people with disabilities, you should not give up. Becoming a job coach is a rewarding job that allows you to bring good feelings to people around you.