The moment you decide to be a courtesy clerk at Kroger, the earlier you acquaint yourself with the information of the position. Courtesy Clerks at Kroger are an integral part of the organization. They are the backbone of the organization. They communicate with the company’s customers to ensure that their shopping experience is smooth. Besides, they perform other crucial tasks that keep an organization moving. In this article, we shall take a look at what Courtesy Clerk Kroger Job description entails.
Courtesy Clerk Kroger Job Description
The Kroger Courtesy Clerks perform a similar role to a bagger. That implies that their role is as important as other positions. Like a bagger, their main role is to ensure that they have a smooth shopping experience. These experiences include helping the customers locate products on the shelves, putting the products in the cart at the customer’s request, taking the cart to the check stand, moving it to the customer’s vehicle, and bringing it back to the store. Aside from this, Kroger Courtesy Clerks perform other traditional tasks such as helping the cashier in time of need, restocking the shelf when necessary, and cleaning and organizing the store.
Who is a Kroger Courtesy Clerk?
A Kroger Courtesy Clerk works in the retail setting of the Kroger’s store. Their main role is to attend to customer’s needs at the store. Here, they perform their role by welcoming the customers in a friendly way. This is the first task for every courtesy clerk. They have to be friendly to a customer by greeting them with a smile and answering any questions they ask. In addition, they have to be polite, friendly and create a good rapport with the customers.
After that, they have to direct the customers to the products on their shelves. For a clerk to perform this function brilliantly, he must know the products to answer queries from the customers. Knowing certain details such as the price, features, and benefits of a product improves the customer service and gives the company a warm and friendly image.
Besides, they perform other traditional tasks such as organizing the shelves, restocking them after products are sold out, and knowing essential products. Also, they can be required to organize and clean the store at the end of the day. In the absence of a cleaner at the store, a courtesy clerk can fill the spot and perform the necessary tasks. Such tasks include mopping the floor, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and cleaning the products and shelves, and ensuring everywhere is tidy.
Furthermore, they can be required to fill in the spot of a cashier as well. When the store is booming with customers, the courtesy clerk can perform the role of a cashier to make the payment process easier. This fastens the payment process to ensure that customers are not delayed. In short, a courtesy clerk at Kroger can be required to perform a variety of tasks anytime. This is to achieve the main goal of creating a smooth shopping experience for the customers to protect the company’s image. Without this, the company could suffer huge losses, which could be detrimental to the company’s growth.
What does a Kroger Courtesy Clerk do?
Considering the operations of the store, a Kroger Courtesy Clerk performs a variety of functions. While some stores only require the courtesy clerks to attend to their customers, others require that they fill the other positions such as the cleaner or cashier. Irrespective of their duties, their goal is to create a warm and friendly environment for the customers. By rendering a friendly service to the customers, the company gets to have more customers.
The service rendered by the courtesy clerk is essential to the growth of the store. This service entails attending to a customer the moment they enter the store until they take their leave. During this process, some of the services they perform include welcoming the customers with a smile, directing them to the product he needs, placing the requested products in the cart for the customer, moving the cart to the payment stand, bagging the products, and handing it to the customers. In addition, if the customers bring their car to the store, the courtesy clerk will have to move the cart to the parking lots and then retrieve them to the store for future use. Other tasks such as cleaning and organizing the store and working as a cashier are only performed by the clerks without a cleaner.
Kroger Courtesy Clerk Responsibilities
Kroger Courtesy Clerk performs a variety of functions to make the customers comfortable. Below are some of the responsibilities outlined for you.
- Conducting yourself in a friendly and professional manner to the customers
- Follow the company’s outlined policies for employees
- Follow the established and uniformed grooming policies outlined for employees
- Knowing specific information about products including the price, features, uses, and benefits
- Directing customers to products location
- Answering customer’s queries
- Bagging products quickly and appropriately without damaging the products and the paper or plastic bag
- Taking the bagged products to the customer’s car
- Assisting the cashier to remove the products from the cart and placing it on the counter to make the payments process faster
- Moving carts to the parking lots for the customers
- Retrieving carts from the parking lots
- Ensuring cleanliness in the store especially in areas like the shelves, floors, counters, restrooms, parking lots, and more
- Emptying trash from the trash cans for the store
- Assisting the cashiers by checking the prices of items on the shelves
- Restocking the shelves if empty
- Changing the signs and ads to suit appropriate seasons such as festive periods
- Restocking bales of bags to the check lane counter if empty
- Operating the baler if one is over 18 years
- Performing other duties as directed by the manager of the store
How much does Kroger Courtesy Clerk Make?
According to Payscale, the average amount for the position is $8.75 per hour, $24,000 per year, together with some perks and bonuses. However, it is important to note that the pay range for this position largely depends on the worker’s experience. For instance, an entry-level career with less than a year of experience is paid an average of $8.65 per hour. Meanwhile, a mid-career employee earns about $8.83 per hour. However, an experienced courtesy clerk with over five years of experience earns about $9.45 per hour. As the experience of the employee increases, so does the pay scale of such employees.
Additional Work Benefits
At Kroger, a courtesy clerk gets to have additional work benefits for working with them. For starters, they can have benefits such as medical coverage, 401(k) retirement plans, and some paid time off. In addition, however, an experienced courtesy clerk can get additional benefits such as credit union membership, company-paid continuing education, and other incentives meant for the employees. Besides, all Kroger associates get further reimbursements such as paid training, flexible schedules, and other advanced career opportunities.
Kroger Courtesy Clerk Requirements
The requirements of a courtesy clerk for many stores vary due to state laws and the store itself. Although Kroger follows the state laws, some of its requirements for employees are quite different from other stores. One of the requirements is the age of the employee. Thanks to state laws, students cannot work below a particular age due to school. Hence, the age requirement for Kroger is 16. Aside from this, the minimum educational qualification for this role depends on the employer. That implies the minimum educational qualification for this position can be a high school diploma or no. It all depends on the individual that wants to employ you.
Irrespective of this, here are some outlined requirements you can find useful while applying for this role.
- High school diploma is preferred but usually required by the employer
- Good communication skills especially the listening, and speaking, and reading skill
- Strength and stamina to stand and work for an extended period
- Basic literacy and mathematics skills to read about a particular product and know the price
- Ability to participate in the job’s training
- Warm and persuasive personality to welcome and help a customer when selecting his product
Kroger Courtesy Clerk Skill
Employees at Kroger do acquire some skills during their working hours. This makes them better and efficient when performing some tasks. Some of the skills include:
- Improved Customer Service – Any employee that has worked as a courtesy clerk at Kroger tends to attend to customers properly. They know how to welcome customers, listen to customer’s needs, answer their queries, and provide feedback for them. Besides, they go the extra mile in satisfying customer needs by bagging their purchased products for them and taking them to the carts if they have one. All these improve the reputation of the company and make it an approachable place for future prospects.
- Organizing and Cleaning – Kroger Courtesy Clerks have a knack for cleaning and organizing the store. Sometimes, they do this to fill the position of an absent cleaner or perform the directives of the manager. Irrespective of the reasons, they perform a wonderful job as they make the essential locations spotless. Some of the roles played here include dusting and cleaning the shelves and counters, mopping the floor, cleaning the restroom, arranging the products nearly on the shelves, and many more.
- Oral and Verbal Communication – Courtesy Clerks at Kroger possess great communication skills. They do this not only to the customers but the employees as well. For the customers, they do this by acquainting themselves with the necessary information about the store. This improves the interaction between them and the customers. This information includes knowing the price, features, and other details of a particular product. Other than this, they help the customers to feel at home. They greet them with a smile, direct them to the merchandise, help them during the payment process, bag their products quickly and appropriately, and take them to their car. All these make the employee possess this vital skill and enhance customer relations.
Common Kroger Courtesy Clerk Interview Questions
- What do you know about Kroger?
Kroger is one of the largest grocery stores in the United States and the world at large. It operates over 3,000 stores, including grocery stores, pharmaceutical stores, supermarkets, and jewelry stores in 30 states. It delivers fresh food at a fair price to its customers and gives back to the communities through its Zero Hunger / Zero Waste mission. Opened in Cincinnati in 1883, it operates in many countries around the world today.
- What are your previous work experiences?
Here, you have to let the employer know about your experience at a retail store. If you haven’t worked at a retail store before, you can talk about your experience at a store that offers customer service. If you don’t have any prior working experience, be confident and show them why they ought to employ you. Talk about your skills, values, and other things that bring attention to retailing.
- Why should I hire you?
For this question, look at the job description and point out the relevant skills and experience that tallies them. Let the employer know that you have what it takes (skills, values, and experience) to do the job. Reassure them that you are the solution they are looking for, and no other candidate can perform a better task than you.
- What do you know about customer service?
Here, you have to let them know what customer service entails and how they operate at Kroger. For instance, Kroger offers great customer service relating to products. Next, you can let them know that you are never too busy to attend to a customer as a courtesy clerk. Next, the checkout line must never be too crowded. Also, you are always ready to help the customer navigate the store efficiently and help them get what they need.
- Why do you want to work at Kroger?
Working at Kroger is a proud thing. The company is one of the top sellers of natural foods; hence working with the company helps you gain insight. Besides, I would love to work here to contribute to the growth of Kroger and make the company valuable. Also, I will love to work for a Fortune 500 company and look forward to its exciting opportunities.
- What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
I’m a quick learner. That implies that you don’t have to spend much time training me on essentials. I learn fast and can figure things out as well for the company’s growth.
For weakness, tell them your weakness to appear honest. Everyone has a weakness, and telling your employer will make them consider you.
Working as a Kroger Courtesy Clerk is an exciting opportunity. It enables you to acquire some skills that prepare you for future career opportunities. Besides, they pay a fair wage and give the worker additional incentives. Hence, working for them is beneficial not just to you but to the company as well.