Founded in 2013, DoorDash is the only on-demand food delivery app to operate across all fifty states in the US. With over 20 million monthly active users, nearly 2 million dashers or delivery couriers, and 56% of the market share, DoorDash stands as the largest food delivery company in the USA. Ever since its founding, the company has been connecting customers with local and national restaurants with the help of independent delivery contractors, also known as Dashers. Being a Dasher comes with its benefits. Read on to learn more about the topic DoorDash employee discount.
DoorDash Employee Discount
DoorDashers come under the category of independent contractors. While they aren’t entitled to certain benefits received by regular employees, their work is rewarded with employee discounts and incentives.
To support its employees, DoorDash offers a variety of discounts. For this, DoorDash has partnered with national brands to help the Dashers beyond the Dash. The discounts Dashers receive can be categorized into three.
- Financial Discounts- Dashers get access to free unlimited debt negotiations, tools to build and improve their credits, 2% cashback on gas nationwide, free Everlance premium membership for three months, $20 off on Turbo-Tax self-employed.
- Vehicle Discounts- Dashers receive $20 credits on CarAdvise to spend on car maintenance, Hertz car rental discounts, access to discounted oil changes at Take5.
- Other Discounts- 50% off on one-day workshop at General Assembly, access to health care plans from Stride Health, assistance for tax withholding and retirement planning from Catch, 40% off on GoodRx Gold for 11 months to access discounted prescriptions.
In addition to the discounts mentioned above, Dashers receive free meals during their shift and free deliveries outside work.
Health Benefits at DoorDash
DoorDash partnered with an insurance company(Stride Health) to provide peace of mind to Dashers while on work. The health plan offers coverage to employees under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Dashers have access to the following health benefits-
- Medical Insurance– Personalised ACA plan at lowest price with year-round customer support.
- Dental– Dashers can use their dental plan just after one month of enrollment at nationwide locations. The plan covers regular dental checkups and 100% of dental cleanings.
- Vision– Just like dental plans, Dashers can use their selected plan after one month of enrollment.
How Much Money Do DoorDash Dashers Make?
Unlike a traditional job, where the employees are paid biweekly or monthly, Dashers have an option to collect their earnings every week. The payment for each delivery is based on the location. Dashers delivering for long distances or have to collect orders from restaurants with long waiting times will be paid extra.
In addition to the regular earnings, Dashers receive money in the form of tips given by the customers and the company’s incentives. On average, a Dasher earns somewhere between $2 to $10 per delivery, along with additional pay for promotions and tips.
The earnings of the Dashers depend on two main factors- how and when they work. Dashers working during peak hours and completing target deliveries within a given period are entitled to receive extra promotional pay. Before accepting any order, Dashers will get an estimated amount they can earn through the delivery.
An individual who takes up the job as a side hustle can earn approximately $25 per hour.
Perks of Being a DoorDasher
There are certain benefits of being a DoorDasher that makes it appealing for individuals to become dashers. Here’s a brief list of the perks of being a Dasher.
- Being a DoorDasher comes with a lot of flexibility in terms of schedule and income. It is a good option for people looking for additional ways to earn income. It can be taken up as a side job. All one needs to do is register on the app, get information on available time slots, choose the one that best fits their schedule and continue working.
- Dashers always have an option to decide on the deliveries they want to take. This will give them a clear idea about the earnings and how much they can make in a single day.
- Unlike other food delivery platforms, DoorDash has a feature that lets the Dasher access where the order is going. This helps them take up deliveries that are going in the direction they are already headed to.
- Dashers don’t need to own a car to make deliveries. This allows them to make money without spending on car maintenance costs.
- Dashers get to keep the tips that they earn at the end of every delivery. Apart from the tips and regular income, Dashers receive incentives for taking up more deliveries and encouraging individuals to sign up as Dashers. They can collect their earnings weekly at their convenience.
Disadvantages of Being a DoorDasher
While there are many perks of being a Dasher, one cannot oversee the disadvantages the position holds. Here are some downsides to consider before becoming a Dasher.
- Being a Dasher comes with several outside expenses. Depending on where you live and where you work, vehicle parking and maintenance costs may add up.
- While Dashers can choose the hours they want to work, often the popular slots get filled quickly. This leaves them with inconvenient slots to work.
- Despite sticking to the schedule and completing deliveries on time, Dashers are stuck waiting at the restaurant to collect their next order. This often increases the waiting time, limiting the capacity to earn more by making more deliveries.
DoorDash partnered with national brands and merchants to offer benefits to its employees. The discounts include financial, vehicle, health, and others to ensure that the employees are covered during and beyond work.