A brief introduction to Safeway
Safeway is one of the renowned supermarkets in the neighborhoods. Safeway found by Marion Barton Skaggs in the year 1915. The supermarket is been here for a century as it got a go-to and trusted place to shop in. The headquarters of Safeway is located in Pleasanton, California, United States. It has locations on 904 spots with the opportunity of employment to over 250,000 employees working at Safeway. Safeway sells products like dairy items, meat, frozen food, typical home groceries, snakes, liquor, pharmacy products, flowers, dry cleaning, and photoshopping. Unlike other supermarkets, Safeway does have a wide range of options for shopping and necessities. Read more to find out to Get a Job at Safeway.
- You can apply for a job either online or in person.
- If you are applying online, you need to attach your resume. Make sure your resume is thoroughly checked by you. Most times, the employer will get impressed by how you constructed your resume. Before submitting your resume, asks your friends or family members to help you with the resume.
- Fill in all the questions asked in the application. A complete perfect application might get short-listed and will have the majority of chances to get hired.
- After the submission of the application, you can log in to the website and get updated about your application status. If you have submitted your application in person in the store. You could visit the store and clarify your question with the manager.
- Most probably, you will be receiving calls or emails for the hiring in two or three weeks.
- The next step after the application, you will be called for an interview in few weeks after the application submission.
Requirements to get hired at Safeway
- The minimum age Safeway hires employees is 16 years old. If you are 16 years old, you can apply for an entry-level position at Safeway.
- One need not necessarily have to hold a high school diploma or college degree to work at Safeway.
- High school diplomas are only preferable and not mandatory or drawback for not getting hired if you do not hold a diploma.
- For certain job roles such as Manager, assistant manager or for the store director you are expected to have a bit of education by having a school diploma and experience in the relevant work field.
- You are also required to have management skills like time management, communication skill, good observation skill, and good memory.
- If you are not regular, not being perfect wt work, disobeying the rules, and not willing to follow the regulation set by the store, you will be fired at the end.
Job opportunities with description and salary details
Safeway Department Store manager
The manager’s role is to take care of all the smallest and the core activities in the store. They are responsible for any events happening at the store are connecting to the store.
The key duties of the manager include training new employees, assigning tasks for the workers, hire qualified candidates for the store, and monitor the employee’s work. The employees might not follow the rules and regulations of the store, and they can be given with warning a certain number of times. A manager who is in charge and leads to the store may not be excused for not taking the company’s policy seriously, misleading them consistently, or even for once.
There are several manager positions available at Safeway. The key duties and responsibilities stay the same. The manager positions are
- Dairy department manager
- Front End manager
- Grocery Department Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- Fuel station manager
- Night Crew Manager
- Assistant store manager
- Seafood Department Manager
- Floral Department manager
- Liquor department manager
- Food department manager
Each department manager has their duties to perform. They will have to check the monetary transaction, profit, and loss of their department. Keep in check with the goods and supervise the workers of their section. The salary for each Manager might vary slightly. The Manager will be earning around $ 30,000 to $ 55,000 an annum.
The cahiers are responsible for the monetary transaction made at the counter. Their job is to scan the purchased items by the customers and bill them. They must also have to greet customers every time. If you want to be cahiers at Safeway, you must have some basic skills like communication skills, reading skills, good at accounts, say mathematics, and a problem-solving mind.
The cashier’s salary is pretty low at the beginning. A person with a good experience record or a long-time employee with a better performance at work will have the advantage to get paid higher. On average, the cahiers at Safeway can earn around $ 10.00 to $ 11.30 an hour.
Safeway Courtesy Clerk
Mostly courtesy clerk role is an entry-level position. The courtesy clerk’s work is to assist the customers, help them find products, carry the grocery baggage for them if asked, filling the shelves with products, check for the expiration date on the products, damaged items and handling them, cleaning the store, arrange the shelves in order, and retrieving the shopping carts.
On an average rate, the Safeway courtesy clerk will be making about $ 8.70 to $ 9.30 an hour. If you are a part-time worker, then you will have to work for 20 to 32 hours a week. A full-time employee will have to work for 40 hours a week. You can also choose to work on a flexible schedule or choose the shifting morning or the evening.
Safeway benefits offered to the employees
The perks received by the part-time and shift employees are limited whereas the full-time employees get access to all the major benefits that are offered.
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- 401 k retirement plan
- Maternity leave
- Employees assistant program
- Gym membership
- Family medical leave
- Paid time off
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the requirements to work at Safeway?
The requirements are quite simple to get a job at Safeway. If you are 16 years old, you can apply for an entry-level job position. For an 18-year-old, you can apply for any job that is currently available including the management position. You must also have a bit of experience in the management sector if you are applying for a manager role.
Can a 14-year-old can work at Safeway?
Yes, if you are 14 years old you can get a job at Safeway. Mostly Safeway prefers workers to be above 16 years. As the 14 years have no experience and are still in their childhood, it might be difficult for them to pick up on the work culture. So the 14-year-old will be fired in 3 weeks or a month for irregular work.
What is the dress code in Safeway?
The employees at Safeway are supposed to wear dark pants and black shoes. The employees are banned from wearing canvas shoes, spiked heels, sandals, leggings, denim, and stretch pants.
Can the employees dye their hair?
No, the employees are not permitted to dye their hair as for the dress code. The worker is restricted from getting their hair colored and also from piercing and getting a tattoo that can be visible.
Does Safeway drug test?
Yes, Safeway drug test their employees and do drug testing before hiring a person.