Hello people! In this article, you will learn all about how to get your dream job at Nordstrom! But before moving further, let me give you all a quick overview of what Nordstrom actually is?
Nordstrom is a fashion specialty retailer in the United States of America. It was founded by John W. Nordstrom and Carl F. Wallin in 1901. It is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, United States. Originally, it started as a shoe store but eventually, it evolved into a full line retailer with departments like clothing, handbags, accessories, jewelry, fragrance, cosmetics, and footwear obviously.
What is the application process at Nordstrom?
To apply for the job, you need to visit their official website called careers.nordstrom.com. Then you have to create an actual profile. Once that is done, you will select what work position you are interested in and also the city you would work in. Then you need to apply for the job. In addition to this, you might be asked to upload your resume to the application form on the site itself.
Normally an email is generated to you if they are interested in having a phone interview. Probably within a week after applying you will get an email if they want to proceed forward with you.
What is the interview process at Nordstrom?
Once you have applied and got an email, they will ask you for a phone interview. The phone interview usually does last for more than 10 minutes. However, due to the covid pandemic, you are required to attend a zoom interview lasting about 45 minutes long. They will ask you some basic questions like your availability and stuff like that just to make sure you are a good candidate for an in-person interview.
After you are done with the phone interview, they will schedule a one-on-one interview for you with your department manager. Here expect the questions to be in-depth and more personal like how would you interact with people, are you a team person, do you have any prior experience in sales, or describe the time you felt discouraged and how you came out of it. They can also ask you to demonstrate how you would sell some random things like a mug or a pen. That will help them to decide at what level your marketing skills are. So, prepare well and go for it.
How long does it take to hear back after the Interview?
Once you are done with an in-person interview with the department manager, you must expect to get a call from them within three weeks stating you are hired, if all goes well.
In any case, you didn’t get any response from the company within the course of three weeks, just check the progress of your application by login into your profile. Otherwise, you can also visit the store and let them know that you have applied but didn’t get any feedback. And if they want, they can call you for an in-person interview right away.
Things you need to know when applying for a job at Nordstrom
I think you should go through these points below if you are applying or have applied for the job at Nordstrom.
1. Each department has its own commission base. You have an overall goal that you have to meet. For example, sales associates get paid $14.51 per hour if you don’t meet your goal. However, if you do meet your goal you will get whatever commission rate. Only people who do not get paid commission are from certain departments like the home department or seasonal department. They only get paid a flat rate because it’s not enough foot traffic for you to actually meet your goal.
2. If you want to work in management, you still have to sell as well. So partial is salaried and the rest comes from what you get from selling.
3. Working at Nordstrom after the first 90 days you get a business card. Some people are excited about this since it gives a sense of belonging.
4. You must be able to build connections with the customers. If you’re good at interacting with people, I would absolutely suggest you apply because you can literally make a lot of money. Since it is fully commissioned, it is up to you how much money you want to make.
5. Nordstrom is not actually strict about what you are wearing. You can wear earrings, color your hair, they don’t care.
Nordstrom Interview Tips
To get a job, the toughest part is to clear the interview process. Most of the people are tense and nervous while getting interviewed. It is completely natural guys, I get it!
But below are some tips that will help you succeed in the interview process, trust me. So, thoroughly go through the steps!
1. Do not panic. I understand the nervousness that gets in your head. But take a deep breath and answer properly. Even if you said something wrong, apologize and correct it. Just remember, the interviewers are as nervous as you are.
2. Be punctual for the interview. I know you will be thinking, of course, I’ll be on time for the interview, but trust me sometimes the whole world will come your way on an important day. So, be early even if you had to spend an hour in the waiting room.
3. Make sure to dress and groom well for the interview.
4. Be polite and cheerful. You are about to work at a retail company so obviously, your job is to interact with people. The hiring manager will see how polite you are and also your communication skills.
5. Do thorough research on the company before attending an interview. Please do not ignore this step. If you know everything about the company, your confidence level automatically increases. So be fully prepared.
6. Do not be overconfident. Sometimes we are unaware of our body language showing how arrogant we are. So look out for that and practice speaking in front of the mirror. That will show you how you are actually putting yourself.
7. Do not ask about payment or holidays right away.
8. Show them that you are worth serving their company. Do not be afraid to show what you have.
9. Ask them questions at the end. This will make them believe that you are actually interested in knowing more about the company and enthusiastic about working there.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to hear back from them after applying for the job?
– Most probably a week.
2. How to dress at Nordstrom interview?
– If you’re applying for a management position, dress formally. Otherwise, dress business casual.
3. What are the age requirements for working at Nordstrom?
– You must be at least 18 years old when applying for the job.
4. How long is the training at Nordstrom?
– Three weeks of training until you are allowed to work like everyone else.
5. What are the work positions at Nordstrom?
The work positions at Nordstrom are sales associate, cashier, stocking associate, fulfillment associate, order picker, senior engineer, engineer, assistant manager, senior manager.
6. How much do Nordstrom employees get paid?
– Average salary of a sales associate is $14.51 per hour.
The average salary of a cashier is $14.04 per hour.
The average salary of a stocking associate is $14.35 per hour.
The average salary of a fulfillment associate is $14.32 per hour.
The average salary of an order picker is $21.19 per hour.
The average salary of a senior engineer is $51.20 per hour.
The average salary of an engineer is $39.40 per hour.
The average salary of a senior manager is $47.03 per hour.
The average salary of an assistant manager is $16.48 per hour.
7. Does Nordstrom do drug tests?
– Yes, urine drug test.
8. Do employees get paid weekly or biweekly at Nordstrom?
– You will most probably get paid biweekly.
9. Does Nordstrom do background checks?
– Yes, as a new employee, you will be required to undergo a background check to make sure that you don’t have any criminal records, illegitimate habits, and poor reputations.
10. What benefits do Nordstrom employees get?
– As a Nordstrom employee, you will be offered great benefits like medical coverage, retirement programs. And once you are a devoted worker of the company, you will enjoy long breaks, job security, and an amazing salary.
Nordstrom is one of the best fashion retailers in the world. The environment and community of Nordstrom are very inspiring and friendly. The most important thing is that the company cares about its staff. There are hardly any valid points about not working at Nordstrom. A lot of people think it’s a lot of physical work and find it stressful working at Nordstrom but that is something you will find at every retailer.
So, this was all about how you can get your dream job at Nordstrom. Just be prepared and follow everything mentioned above!
Thanks for reading. Have a nice day!