As Oprah Winfrey says, and I quote, “Breathe and Let go. Remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure”. Even after so many experiences in our life of our first day, there is still always that tingling in the stomach and the feeling of rats having a relay race in our stomach without any winner in it? During such times, one should be calm, focused, and have the self-confidence to move ahead on their first day. We must remind ourselves that this will not be our last first day and have a little more confidence for the next one.
For anybody first day can be scary because it’s a new surrounding, new faces, and as human beings, we tend to have many expectations and ourselves. Many even believe that our first day is going to decide how the rest of things can be. This entirely not true because each day is different. Each day some change is going to happen. Each day, a person or place changes and grows; hence one bad first day or one first good can’t determine anything except how we will be the rest of the day. Any first day is a celebration for all, whether it’s your first day of rolling over as a baby, first day or day of standing with support, the first day of speaking, and so on.
We have had our first days even before we could realize, and these are captured, videos are made about it, and that is our achievements and success that we can hold high. As human beings, we are very competitive. Hence comparing the timeline of our first days is not good, not just for ourselves but also for others. The first days are something that we will treasure all our lives, and we learn, understand, and even laugh about it. The first days help us bond and connect. When we see our siblings being nervous on their first day, we connect and bond with them more by telling the incidents of our first day. The first days are the new beginnings of our lives. It’s a gem that is most precious and something we will always hold onto.
The night before our first day is nothing less. It’s a roller coaster of so many things in our head, and it’s during that night that we try so hard to sleep or sleep so fastest than any other day. Adrenaline rushes through our bodies. Our heart is pumping faster than normal, so much that we can hear it on the head. There is a sense of happiness in our bodies. These are just some of the things we feel on our first day. Sometimes that feeling may get so much that we might sense a feeling of fear. Our first day might be very scary as well, so much that our hands may start shaking; it’s even possible that we may have little difficulty while talking. During such times, one should remind themselves that this is completely okay, normal, and telling themselves to be confident and going ahead in the day. The first day is like any other day. It’s just how we perceive it and how we remember it in the coming days.
As we all know the first day, it is also important to prepare for it beforehand as the morning of the first day can be hectic, chaotic, and impact the way we work; hence, it’s necessary to keep some things in mind.
Tips for the First Day
- Keeping the attire ready the night before: This can be a great thing to do on our first day as we always worry about the attire that we wear. It’s in every head about making the first impression, and the attire we wear plays an important role in it. Selecting the outfit saves time for us on our first day, and being ready beforehand gives us a sense of confidence. An ample amount of sleep is necessary as the body requires rest before we plunge into a new day.
- Planning the commute: As small children, it’s always our parents dropping us at school. As we grow older, this changes slowly, with us getting less dependent on our parents. Hence it is valuable that we keep track of time and the amount of time we require to reach our destination and prepare according to it. Nobody would want to be late the first day itself and therefore planning our travel is essential.
- Keeping the required materials ready: This is very crucial as one doesn’t want to forget anything important on the first day. It can be as simple as getting our school bag ready. It’s the process that will take time, and keeping all the materials required for the first day can make our first day less chaotic and haphazard. Having the right materials on the first day can help us ease down and relax.
- Having a proper meal: The thing we forget the most or neglect the most on our first day is our breakfast. Indeed, some people don’t feel like eating because they are already tensed about their first day. It has been proven that eating a scrumptious, healthy meal in the morning gives a lot of energy and helps us stay active. Our body is already using a lot of energy; hence it is important to have a good meal today as no one wants to be lethargic and disinterested on the d-day.
- Paying attention: Yes, this might sound very childish and unnecessary, but this is one thing that people often forget on their first day. People assume that nothing important, but it’s always on the first day that instructions, rules, and protocols are mentioned. Hence it’s important to listen to all of the things that are said on the first day so that we don’t have any problems.
- Having the best etiquette and manners: Our body language says a lot about us and plays an important role in a new environment and new people. Hence it’s essential to have good body language and be on our best behavior. It’s important to make sure that we don’t seem harsh, rude, or arrogant at any given period.
- Relaxing is important: With so many things going around us and with us, we must keep ourselves very calm and poised. It’s important to relax those stiffed muscles that have popped up because we are stressed about many new things happening in one day. Relaxing will help us is going about the day more fruitfully.
- Being crystal clear: On every first day, most people do have a lot of haze in their minds, which can lead to confusion, and questions might keep popping up continuously. Hence, it is important to have a clear state of mind with no doubts or questions, which is possible by only listening and clearing all the doubts and questions and having a clear set answer to all those questions.
These are just some small things that can be done so that our first day is not hectic and go about smoothly with everything. There are many more things that can be followed, but these are certain major things that provide many plus points for our first day. Keeping all kinds of points will help us not just for the first day but also for the rest of the time. These tips can be inculcated in our daily lives and bring about discipline and dedication towards any work.
There are so many different first days in our lives, and while some might have a lot of first days, some might have very few. This article contains some major first days which most of us have experienced in our lives.
Different Kinds of First Days
- First day at school: The first day we experience in our lives is a school known as our second home. This experience is something everybody will remember even if they become very old. It’s a moment we remember and cherish all our lives. The first day of school for some kids might be fun and exciting, while for some, it might be the worst nightmare ever. We all have seen some kids going to school the first time smiling with all their teeth, some kids crying their hearts out. Some people might make friends on their first day at school while some might take few more days and be very quiet on their first day. The first day at school will be the first experience of being away from family members and being the first day of our lives.
- First day at college: This transition can be very tough for a lot of people. Imagine you have a favorite toy, but it’s going to be with you for quite a lot of years and eventually goes away. That is how difficult it is to move from school to college. The drastic change from a closed environment with strict rules and regulations to a more lenient one can be very drastic. It’s during this time that our way of life will be decided. The change of environment, people, and all the internal changes happening with oneself can make it scary for our first day in college. The first day in college will be enjoyable and interesting as well. We make new friends, meet new teachers who are not as strict as our school teachers, and get to see new places, experience new things outside the college, and so on. Though the college period might not be as long as school, the bond, connection we make with people will be much stronger and more family-like.
- First day at work: If one has had experience with internships, then it always gives an upper hand when they join work . Internship or work done beforehand gives us some idea and experience. The first day at work gives us a completely new experience. According to my thinking, it’s a combination of both school and college. It’s a combination of both rules and no rules. It’s an experience that people not just acknowledge but also be very proud of. For many people, work means a lot because it’s a key to their self independency. Yes, work can be stressful, tiring but it also fun, exciting, and challenging. Work can be in the corporate sector, the business sector or the government, or even in the public sector, but we should always aim to give our hundred percent whatever work we do. Work hours are much lengthier, but they are also worth the experience.
- The first day at class: When I say class, I mean the extracurricular classes that we take apart from school or college. This can be dancing, singing, sports, abacus, calligraphy, indoor sports, etc. This provides us with a whole new level of experience. The first day of this class can be exciting, encouraging, and sometimes even a morale booster. When human beings can show and improve the skills they are gifted with, it increases their self-confidence and gives them the space to get better and achieve things. Usually, friends made at such classes are more connected as they build their relationships on similar grounds. The first day of class can be very engaging and very productive. It’s the day we learn new things about things that we are good at. A class apart from school or college helps an individual in so many different ways. At some part of the time in our life, we all been to some class and cherish the golden day.
- The first day away from home: This can be a simple sleepover at your friend’s house or staying in a new place away from parents for school, college or work. This day can be very scary as we are so used to being around known people that being away from them can be very difficult. The first day away from home can also be very exciting as the freedom one gets also increases. Adapting to a new place, new surroundings without known people around can be effective. For some people, the first day away from home can also be very emotional and sentimental as they have to let go of people to whom they are very attached, even if it just for a day. During such a time, we remember the line that nothing feels better than being at home. It’s a day not just an individual will remember but the family as well.
These are some of the major ones that happen in everyone’s life, but these can increase with other small first days, and it’s all worth the effort and time because these are things that set us apart as human beings.
The environment and people on the first day also play an important role in an individual’s first day. It gives away good feelings and confidence when other people make their first day acknowledged and important.
Things that can be done to say good to someone:
- Small party before the big day: Congratulating someone a day before their big day for their achievements will increase their morale and make them confident. It builds a sense of positivity in them. It relaxes them and makes them calm as they are constantly thinking and stressing about their first. Cooking their favorite meals can make them feel really good.
- Small gifts: Giving small gifts that they can hold onto and carry around with them can make them feel so good and always remind them there are people for them. Such gifts don’t have to be expensive or big. They just have to medium of connection of love, trust and confidence.
- Pep talks: Believe it, or not pep talks can benefit many people and make them feel content. This gives them a lot of courage and confidence to move ahead. Positive pep talks are always recommended than negative pep talks. Communication can help a lot of people.
- Conversations on first days: Often, it’s said that talking about things that will happen is not good. But that is entirely not true. A conversation about the first day with people can be enjoyable and engaging, and exciting. It acts like a reminder that they are not alone, and all have had the first day’s experience. When they hear other people’s stories, they realize that there can be a good first day and a bad first day which helps individuals prepare their minds. Often such conversations help them have a vision and know what to expect, which is very beneficial.
- Helping with the preparation: Helping individuals the day before their first day is very engaging. One can help them by helping them choose their attire. They can help them pack the required materials and even cook their favorite breakfast. We can help individuals with their first day by doing their other work as people can be very stressed on their first day. This makes it simpler and easier for them.
These are some small and basic things, and if one thing can think of more creative ideas about it, then they should go for it because sometimes something can better than nothing.
Communication can play a key role in different scenarios. One of them being on the first day and often wishing people well, or good luck can be very morale-boosting. Even if someone informs or lets one know about their first day, it is always appreciated when people wish them luck. Words can be very powerful, and one can wish someone luck in many ways.
Examples of different ways to wish good luck for someone’s first day:
- “You don’t need it anyway but good on your first day,” says this builds a self of confidence within oneself and can be very empowering.
- “Good luck, my dear friend/family/colleague, on your first day” often, good luck with a hint of the relationship and connection can have a great impact.
- “So happy to hear about your first day good luck and congratulations” often, expressing happiness about someone else’s work is a great deal and makes the individual feel very special.
- “Chase your dream and reach your goals, good luck for your first day” wishing someone this way can make them determined and acts as a booster to their dedication.
- “Good luck on your first day, shine like you always have” this wish not just makes them more confident but also brings in a reminder that they have been doing great and they should continue to do so
- “Put your best foot forward and good luck for your first day” this wish is straightforward yet filled with a lot of sentiments and emotions hidden in it.
- “Good luck with your first, and congratulations! New beginnings can be terrifying but don’t worry. You will do great” this wish has emotions also shown and lets the individual know that everything will be fine and should stay calm.
- “The first day can be scary, but remember, new beginnings are never easy, so stop worrying about it and move forward with enjoyment” wishes like these can help people who are scared and will help them ease down more comfortably.
- “Hope your first day brings forth new opportunities and new connections. Good luck!” this message is formal yet informal. It’s a good mixture that can be very useful under various circumstances.
- “Don’t pay head to those butterflies your mind and rats in your stomach, be your wonderful self, and everything will be fine. Good luck!” this kind of wishes are creative reminders that can ease them down during the stressful day
To conclude, wishing people on their first day matters, acknowledging their important day matters, wishing them can be done in any manner as long it positively affects the individual. The response to such wishes can make us also feel very content, happy, and satisfied.
Also read Have a Good Weekend Meaning in Conversation