Sephora is a French multinational beauty product retailer company that was established in 1970 in Paris, France. The company sells beauty and skincare products of their brand as well as feature about 3,000 other brands in their stores. Today’s article- All About Sephora.
It specializes in products like cosmetics, make-up, skincare, haircare, and perfumes.
The company is based in Paris, France, and was founded by Dominique Mondonnaud, who was also behind the idea of making Sephora beauty and cosmetic store where customers are introduced to “assisted self-service”- a new kind of a sales model wherein the customers were able to sample a product on the shelves before making purchases. The service ensures better customer satisfaction and also helped them to buy the best products that also suits them the best.
It expanded globally by 1997. The company extended its operations to middle eastern countries like UAE. By 2007, Sephora opened more than 40 stores in the UAE. The company also partnered with several brands that were exclusive to UAE to sell their products in Sephora stores.
In 1997 to bring about the expansions of Sephora on an international level, Mondonnaud sold the company to LVMH. The first Sephora in the USA was opened as a result of this expansion in New York City in 1988, and the first store in Canada in 2008.
The headquarters of Sephora in the United States are located in New York City. It is the headquarters for all of the company’s operations in North America, where it operates more than 400 stores, in the USA, Canada as well as Mexico along with Island countries
The biggest Sephora store in North America is situated in Herald Square in New York City.
Sephora operates in over 400 stores in North America, most of them in the USA. The company deals with many partner brands along with retailing its flagship products. Some of the product brands that
It has partnered with are as follows.
- Make Up For Ever
- Anastasia Beverly Hills
- Benefit Cosmetics
- YSL Beauty by Yves Saint Laurent
- Huda Beauty
- Bobbi Brown Cosmetics
- Urban Decay
Sephora also features fragrances, and perfume collections by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen called Elizabeth and James, and Marc Jacobs’ makeup line.
Sephora operates branches inside other retail and merchandise stores like JCPenney and Kohl. These divisions of Sephora offer some of the company’s make-up, skincare, and fragrance brand services.
Sephora inside JCPenney stores operate on a smaller scale than its flagship stores.
Sephora announced opening similar smaller-scale stores inside Kohl in 2020. The company has planned to open these at more than 800 of the Kohl’s stores in the United States by 2023.
Careers at Sephora:
Sephora is one of the world leaders in the international cosmetic and beauty retail industry. The company operates in over 1000 locations worldwide, combining the company’s stand-alone stores as well as stores in other department store locations.
It constantly looks forward to hiring new and talented employees to maintain its brand and to always keep up with the recent global trends in the beauty community. The company has partnered with several department stores over the years and operates nearly 400 locations in the US.
Sephora offers various entry-level jobs as well as several career-oriented work opportunities. Positions like beauty advisors, sales associates, nail technicians, aestheticians, etc., are among the many jobs that job seekers can choose from while applying.
The company expects the employees to be interactive with the customers, approachable, and friendly. Individuals with fashion insights and keen interests in the field are preferred for the job.
The following are the qualities that are expected in an employee at Sephora.
- People skills
- Interactive front
- Can give beneficial beauty advice to the customers
- Product knowledge
- Eagerness to learn
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team.
Jobs and Salaries:
Several jobs are offered at Sephora. The following is the description of the jobs that are most commonly applied for at the company.
- Beauty Advisor: These employees are responsible for assisting the customers. Their duties include suggesting products to the customers and providing them with correct information about the same. They are responsible for maintaining the neatness in the store and restocking the displays and the counters.
Other than creating a memorable experience for the customers, their responsibilities also include ensuring the store’s success by gaining clientele.
The Beauty advisors at Sephora make about $12 to $13.
To get hired as a Sephora beauty advisor one needs to have basic knowledge of the currently popular beauty products in the market and also be aware of the recent beauty trends.
- Sales Associate: The sales associate employees at Sephora are responsible for assisting the customers, stocking and restocking the counters, handling the register when needed.
Sales associates are also responsible for maintaining shelves and drawers and ensuring that the displays are always amply supplied.
These employees are paid about $10 an hour.
- Management: The store managers are expected to set a good example for their subordinates. Their duties include assisting and guiding the employees, creating employee work schedules, overseeing the payments, and managing the supplies.
Store managers earn an annual salary of about $40,000 to $60,000.
To apply for a job at Sephora, the applicants can follow the following steps.
- Visit jobs.sephora.com
- Search jobs by keywords such as the positions you are interested in or the location you seek to apply at.
- Select the job position or category
- Read the job description carefully before clicking apply to proceed with the application process.
- Fill in the necessary personal details and submit copies of the certificates of your educational qualification.
- Create a personal account by registering a valid email address and creating a password. This can be used to track the application status.
- Upload your resume
- Click apply.
The job seekers can also apply for jobs at Sephora at a department store like JCPenney and Kohl by visiting their respective careers page online and applying for the available job positions there.
Sephora may contact you within a week of application selection to proceed further with the application process. This includes the applicants appearing for an interview with the hiring manager.
The interviews are conducted to check the competence and assess the situation handling skills of the applicants.
Some of the questions that are frequently asked at an interview at Sephora are as follows.
- Tell us what you know about Sephora?
- How did you come across the job vacancy?
- Name some companies that are partners with Sephora.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How can you benefit the brand?
- What are your questions for us?
Qualifications and requirements:
- Hiring Age: Employees must at least be 18 years old.
- Education: The employees are required to possess a high school diploma, hence Sephora employees are all required to be high school graduates to apply for an entry-level position at the company.
Higher educational qualifications are required for managerial and corporate posts.
Benefits of working
- Employees enjoy the following benefits.
- Flexible work schedule
- Full-time and part-time job opportunities.
- Paid sick leave
- Employee discounts
- Gym discounts at partner gyms
- Half days on Fridays from June through September.
- Retirement plan (401 K)
- Paid Vacation
- How long is the hiring process at Sephora?
The hiring process at Sephora is about 2 days long.
- Do Sephora employees get discounts on their purchases?
Yes, Sephora employees get about a 40% discount on the flagship products and a 20% discount on other products.
- When are the employees paid?
Employees are paid biweekly, which is once every two weeks.