Salaries can be categorized into ranges based on the number of figures present in the salary number. There can be 5 figure salaries ($10000 to $99999), 7 figure salaries ($1000000 to $9999999), and above. A 9 figure salary is any salary whose number falls between the range of $100000000 to $999999999). It can be 450000000 or 620000000. This salary is not easy to earn and is usually paid to high-paying careers such as athletes, musicians, business moguls, etc. Some people who earn 9 figures are Kanye West, Roger Federer, Elon Musk, Sumit Singh, etc.
What is a figure?
A figure is simply a solitary digit or a number. It is ‘0’, ‘1’, or any other single number. It can also refer to larger numbers as a single form. This means that a figure can be ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘200’, ‘3000’, or even more. It can be a single digit in a number or the number as a whole.
What is a salary range?
This is the gap between a minimum and maximum figure paid for a job done or position in a company. It is the range of pay from lowest to highest that a company is willing to pay to an employee in a particular position. For example, if the minimum salary for a job is 7000 dollars to 15000 dollars, then the salary range is 7000 to 15000 dollars. The exact salary can be any figure within that range (such as 9000 dollars, 12000 dollars) and depends on several factors such as educational background, experience, tenure at the job, accomplishments on the job, a prerogative of the company, etc.
What is a ‘figure salary’ and what types exist?
A figure salary denotes how many figures the salary being paid has. It can be 2 figures ($10 to $99), 3 figures ($100 to $999), 4 figures ($1000 to $9999), all the way up to 9 figures and above. The most commonly known is the 6 figure salary, which is any salary between $100000 to $999999. The United States Census of 2015 estimated that households’ average salary in the United States is $56516, which is a 5 figure salary. There are endless types of salary figures, but realistically, it ends at 9 figures, which isn’t even common and very hard to accomplish.
What is a 9 figure salary?
A 9 figure salary is a salary amount that has 9 figures. This means that the number is within the range of a hundred million ($100000000) to just above Nine hundred and ninety-nine million ($999999999). This is a very high amount to earn as a yearly salary and usually requires lots of experience in a high-paying career like investment banking, a talent specific, medical or science careers, acting, or a successful entrepreneurship career where you decide your own salary.
What jobs earn a 9 figure salary?
A 9-figure salary is hard to attain but not impossible. People are currently earning 9 figures as yearly salaries. Forbes estimated the highest-paid celebrities in the world as of 2020, and here are those who earned 9 figures and what they do as a career:
- Kylie Jenner – $590 million: Kylie Jenner is a beauty mogul and reality TV star who successfully launched her cosmetics line, Kylie Cosmetics, and then sold a majority stake worth 600 million dollars to Coty, Inc. This sale polished her pocket with an estimated 540 million dollars, pretax, and established her as the highest-paid celebrity of the year.
- Kanye West – $170 million: Kanye West is a very popular musician and businessman who earns annual royalty payments from Adidas to sell shoes from his brand, Yeezy. He also has an apparel line under the Yeezy brand and is estimated to have earned 1.3 billion dollars in 2019 sales.
- Roger Federer – $106.3 million: Roger Federer is known as the greatest men’s professional tennis player of all time, breaking several records and winning over 130 million dollars in prize money over the span of his professional career. He also has a very lucrative endorsement deal worth 300 million dollars with Uniqlo, a Japanese apparel brand.
- Christiano Ronaldo – $105 million: Christiano Ronaldo is one of the most popular athletes and footballers globally and the celebrity with the highest number of followers on social media, with 200 million followers on Instagram. He has won the FIFA player of the year award five times and is the all-time goal scorer in the UEFA champions league. He is the top scorer of his club, Juventus, with a 28 goal score during the 2018 to 2019 season and leading the club to a win at the Italian super cup.
- Lionel Messi – $104 million: Lionel Messi is one of the world’s most popular athletes and footballers. He currently plays for Barcelona, where he earns over 80 million dollars annually and has a lifelong endorsement deal with Adidas. He has been awarded FIFA player of the year 7and the Golden shoe award for top scorer 6 times, a record. He currently holds the La Liga and club goal record with 650 goals and 54 hat trick goals. He also owns a clothing line, The Messi Store, which has a retail outlet in Barcelona.
Many more careers can bring in a 9 figure salary, especially in this digital age where many jobs are created out of an increasing need for experts in the IT, technology, and social media sphere. Some of these jobs include medical careers such as a Plastic and cosmetic surgeon, Anesthesiologist, Neurosurgeon, other careers such as Lawyers, Pilots, Psychiatrists, Social media influencers and managers, etc.
According to “Bloomberg’s Highest Paid US CEOs: Top Salaries in 2019 list”, several business moguls and CEOs also topped our 9 figure salary list, such as:
- Elon Musk – $595.3 million: Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla, Neura link, co-founder of PayPal, and SpaceX. He is the lead product designer and engineer for the production of electric vehicles and solar energy products. His goals have often said to be the revolution of technology and transportation through alternative forms of energy such as the Tesla electric cars and the SpaceX rocket producer. He is said to have an estimated net worth of $176.3 billion, which puts him in the running for the richest man’s position on earth.
- Tim Cook – $133.7 million: Tim Cook is the CEO and former Chief Operating Officer of Apple. He played a key role in developing strategic seller and supplier relationships and was the head of Apple’s Macintosh division. He used to be the Vice president of Compaq and worked as the Director of North American Fulfilment at IBM. He is very charitable, having given away millions of dollars worth of Apple shares and pledging a majority of his wealth to charity. He has an estimated $1 billion as his net worth.
- Thomas Rutledge – $116.9 million: Thomas Rutledge is the CEO and Chairman of Charter Communications. He had worked in various capacities at American Television and Communications (ATC) before becoming the President of Time Warner Cable. He became a Broadcasting and Cable hall of fame in 2011 and had an estimated net worth of $281 million.
- Joseph Iannielo – $116.6 million: Joseph Iannielo is the former chairman of the CBS entertainment group, a Viacom CBS subsidiary. He dedicated most of his career (more than 20 years) to CBS and Viacom, starting as Director of Financial Planning in 1997 and leaving as the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) in 2019. He is said to have received severance payments and compensation worth around $125 million.
- Sumit Singh – $108.2 million: Sumit Singh is the Director and CEO of Chewy Inc. He previously worked as the Worldwide Director of consumables business at Amazon and in a management capacity at various Dell. He is the former Chief Operating Officer at Chewy Inc and is credited with leading the company to a public company in 2019 and trading on the New York Stock Exchange, which grossed $1 billion in stock sales.
- Sundar Picha: Sundar Pichai is our honorable mention in the 9 figure salary category. He is CEO of Alphabet Inc, which is the parent company of Google. He started working at Google as a material engineer in 2004 and is credited with lead work in creating and developing several Google features such as Gmail, Google Maps, and Google Chrome, which is the most popular browser in the world. He became the CEO of Google in 2015 after being appointed as a leader in product development and engineering for Google’s products and platforms in 2014. In 2017, he joined the Board of Directors of Alphabet and later advanced to the CEO position in 2019. He has focused on developing products and services that impact the world in big and small ways through investment in new opportunities such as YouTube and google cloud. His 2019 annual compensation totaled a whopping $280.6 million.
Also read Highest Paying Chemistry Jobs