From choosing what to eat for breakfast to making life choices, it all depends on your decisions. The decision-making of a person sometimes defines what kind of a person they are. It is always advised to think calmly before deciding as to the scenarios in life change instantly once you decide to choose one way, denying the other one. People always want to make the right choices in their life. It is a fact known by everyone that nobody is perfect, so how to make good decisions? and how can we ask for a perfect decision? Still, we will provide you some tips to make better choices in your life because, in the end, it all depends on what choice you make.
Practical Ways To Assess And Improve Your Decision Making
- Change your mentality about good and bad.
Sounds confusing? What this means is that there are no rules written for a choice to be good or bad. If some sort of written text were present, then no one in the world would have made the choices that didn’t go their way. It all differs from person to person. Say, you are given a choice between two houses to live in.
One is big enough and lacks some of the necessary utilities whilst the other one has all the necessary utilities but is not big. So if you have a big family, then utilities won’t do any good if you cannot live comfortably, while at the same if you have a small family, then probably a house with all the utilities will be the perfect place for you. It all depends on what your requirements are. So it is essential to quit the idea of good and bad. The decisions are situation-based.
- Listen to everyone but act upon your will.
You would have probably heard of it. People refer to this saying because if you take one problem to 10 people, then there is a high possibility that all the 10 people will have 10 different ways to solve it. This concept works the same in decision-making. People always put themselves in situations to help you, but they tend to forget that it is about you and your priorities and not about them.
Maybe they genuinely care about you, but still, every person is different, so keep that possibility in mind. However, it is never considered bad to take advice but never decide according to what the other person has to say in the particular issue.
- The Pros and Cons Method.
One of the most traditional ways of making good decisions is the pros and cons method. It is very simple, take a paper and a pen. Divide it into two halves and write about all the pros and cons of choice and its future effects. Although it is a simple trick, you have to be 100% honest with yourself while making the list of pros and cons. Sometimes the mind is biased towards one decision, which generally leads to making a list biased. Keep in mind to only mention the factual data for a choice to make a good decision.
- Trust your gut feeling.
Most people don’t believe in the concept, but to break it down simply means to trust yourself. In a life where people always surround us, we tend to stop talking with ourselves, and it leads to the blockage of that wise part of your brain, which can lead you to good decisions. To use this process, give yourself some time alone and ask yourself what you think will be a good decision ignoring all the advice. Then, there will be one way your mind directs you. It doesn’t need to be right, but in most cases, the gut feeling is always good instead of the opinions of others.
- Trial and error method.
Sometimes it is necessary to learn it yourself to make decisions instead of relying on others to do it for you. You always learn from your mistakes, and that too applies to decision-making. You make wrong choices, and you move on. The key is to learn from them what mistakes you made and do not repeat them in the future. If you never practiced it, then start with small decisions, say, making choices whether to go to a park or a movie, whether to have a candlelight dinner at home, go to a restaurant, go on hiking, or go to go on hiking on a booze trip.
You will slowly learn what type of choices are suitable for you. This method is very significant as it makes you self-reliant, which will help you build your personality. People will trust your choices and ultimately respect you for that, and beyond that, you will make your life choices ideal for you.
- Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst.
The only misery in making a choice is a fear that what if we chose A and realized B was better and maybe A can have serious consequences. So in such situations where a decision can be life-changing, there you should consider some scenarios in mind:
- The best-expected result from a choice.
- The worst expected result from the choice.
- Can you bear the worst expected result.
- Is the positive part is weighing enough to gamble for the worst.
Once you run these scenarios in your head, then it will help you a lot in making a decision considering what is best for you.
- Do not be someone stubborn to stick to one perspective.
Offered with choices, you must never follow any rules for thinking. Instead, you must look at them from every possible perspective you can. It is all about how you look. Maybe from one perspective, the benefits are limited but looking from every aspect can help you look far beyond.
- Beware of the Social Pressure.
This is becoming common day by day. Most of the choices, including social drinking, smoking cigarettes, pot, and other illegal activities, are majorly pushing social pressure. People often start bad habits or make choices that they later regret under social pressure. You must always ignore these pressures and think how much, what you will do, will impact your future, and you will tend to make the right decisions.
- Never play the victim with yourself.
Sometimes, if we spend a lot on something that later proves to be not worthy of the money, we feel so low about making a decision. Instead, we should always consider what’s done and never regret past choices. It will only make your decision-making ability weak.
- Identify your goals.
Perhaps the best dynamic technique is to watch out for your objective. Does this mean recognizing the motivation behind your choice by asking yourself what precisely the issue should be settled? Also, for what reason does this issue be addressed?
- Evaluate your decision.
Whenever you have settled on your official conclusion and set it in motion, it is important to assess the choice and the means you have taken to guarantee that it works. This last advance is most likely similarly as significant as stage one, if not more significant because it will assist you with facilitating fostering your dynamic abilities for future issues. This progression is likewise crucial because it might expect you to search out new data and roll out certain improvements en route.
- Unable to get to the root cause.
Commonly the issue will be self-evident, yet there may come while recognizing the primary issue isn’t unreasonably simple. However, at the point when this issue emerges, sorting out precisely what it is and where you need to center your endeavors will save you a great deal of time and energy over the long haul.
- Keep in check the factor of overconfidence.
In making a good decision, one of the greatest foes is overconfidence. When suddenly many things start going in our way, we tend to put down the guard and involuntarily make choices without proper evaluation, which is the point where things go wrong. So always make sure to make decisions with a cool and composed mind, not influenced by any bravado or overconfidence.
- Talk to yourself like a trusted friend.
It is similar to trusting your gut feeling but slightly different. We often seek help from our friends in situations of important decision making. Still, at the same point, it is only we who know what is best for us, so consider yourself to be your trusted friends, mention the scenario and choices available without any bias, and ask yourself for the answer with present information. Maybe the choice will not always be perfect, but the decisions will always be wise.
- Always have a crystal clear vision of your goal.
Most of the time, small hurdles tend to blur the vision of the ultimate goal we are seeking for. This creates a huge impact on your decision-making power. Never even for a second get distracted by the problems and make decisions under the pressure of them. It will only lead you towards settling for less at the moment.
The simple method to stay on track is never to let the final goal slip your mind, even for a second. If it’s something that’s gonna take a little longer to conquer, then write it on a sticky note and place it on your mirror. This way, every day, when you see your mirror, you will see your goal and then work and make decisions per it.
- Be enthusiastic about making decisions.
Never be someone who makes decisions to keep up with the daily routine. You must possess a thrilling attitude towards your decision-making. It is very simple to arouse that adrenaline rush about your decision, follow these steps:
- Think of what impact the choices will make on your future. Your mind also plays an important role in these types of decision-making as it doesn’t want to burden itself at any time. For example when you decide to go for a walk in the morning before your work, and set an alarm according to that, but when that beep hits the mind forces you to push the off button and go back to sleep. It starts creating scenarios about how tired you will be at work and you will have a sleepy day and that tomorrow thing also hits.
- Say you are stuck with the choices among, either to work hard and give all your time to make money and be successful, or work on your hobbies and natural skills to develop a permanent job with it, or hit the gym along with somewhat less dedication to your present work and maintain a good physique and wealth. Here people often tend to miss out on that perspective column and only look at the available choices of one perspective.
- Look for a challenging way for yourself as thrill always derives from challenges. For example, you can opt to have a morning home workout then leave for your work and when you return home, instead of investing time on Netflix make time for your hobbies and skill-building. This will be tiring at the start but when you hit a consistency mark of 21 days it automatically converts into a habit.
- Keep free time for yourself too, like taking time off from everything on weekends so as not to make your life dull. Considering this, make other decisions that challenge you to pull the best out of you and this keeps you thrilled and motivated towards making your decisions too.
- Seek Professional Advice.
Sometimes it is a huge issue for some people to make a choice or a decision that they go through huge waves of anxiety. This is something that doesn’t come under a normal thing to experience to make a decision. It may lead to several health problems. If you are someone who experiences the same during the choice-making, you must see a counselor, not for helping you make a choice but for helping you to be capable enough to deal with such situations without a pinch of panic.
- Should I consult someone to make a big career decision?
Seeking advice is not bad if it is coming from someone who is experienced in that particular field. Yet again, you should only look for the perspectives anyone has to share because what went right for him may go wrong for you or vice-versa.
- How much can I involve my parents in making decisions?
Honestly, if it is about something that they know then it could be a lot beneficial but keep in mind that they are also humans and no one can always give you perfect advice because the experiences parents have are only limited and they cannot cover every aspect of life.
- What should I do if my decisions went extremely wrong?
Take a deep breath and let your brain cells do the work. Always remember that nothing is that broken that it cannot be fixed so are the various scenarios of life. Maybe some decisions go wrong and can be life-changing but it is never late to start again from scratch.