In this article, we will see Does FedEx Drug test the new employees?
Multinational delivery service company Federal Express Corporation, popularly known as FedEx is a Tennessee-based company that is known for safe and quick delivery. Best known for their air delivery service by the name FedEx Express, it is among the first shipping companies to provide customers with overnight delivery of goods.
Along with FedEx Express, the company owns several other subsidiaries like FedEx Office, FedEx Ground, FedEx Supply Chain, etc. It is a public limited company and its shares are available to be purchased freely on the stock exchange. It is traded on New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) as FDX.
FedEx is among the biggest names in the courier and delivery service industry, not only in the US but also worldwide. Its biggest competitors in the industry are United Parcel System (USP). Other than the courier service, FedEx has expanded its business in several ways. They have bought the naming rights to NFL’s Washington Football Team called the FedEx Field. Memphis Airport is the busiest cargo airport in the western hemisphere as a result of FedEx’s delivery service. It is the second busiest cargo airport in the world after Hong Kong.
FedEx drug test their employees
Jobs at FedEx
FedEx employs over 300,000 employees globally and is one of the world’s largest courier shipping and delivery companies. Around 3 million packages are shipped through FedEx every business day. FedEx is one of the busiest corporations in the world and therefore requires dedicated employees with creative minds. The company in turn is equally dedicated to its employees providing them with excellent opportunities and benefits.
FedEx is among Fortune magazine’s top 100 best American companies to work for.
FedEx offers several job positions to the applicants to choose from. The company has posts for customer representatives, delivery persons, clerks, package handlers, and several managerial posts.
The company offers both full-time as well as part-time jobs to the applying candidates. Candidates applying for jobs can explore the positions of customer service, communication, sales, marketing, delivery, accounting, and finance.
Some jobs at FedEx like package handling might require physical skills. Meanwhile, others like customer service require the employees to be friendly and approachable.
Job Positions and Salary
- Customer Service: The customer representatives are tasked with customer inquiries and sales via phone. The employees at this post must have an ever-updated knowledge of the company policies like prices, shipping, product services, and supplies. Customer Service is an entry-level job and does not require individuals to have prior experience. The candidates however must be high school graduates with basic computer skills and have open schedules to work on weekends if required. The salary at this position ranges from $24,000 to $45,000.
- Courier: Tasked with making deliveries, courier employees are the company’s representatives at the customer’s doorsteps and therefore, are expected to behave professionally. They must be able to operate large vehicles along with being able to inspect and handle the shipment packages. The individuals must have high school diplomas, driver’s licenses and must be able to lift at least 75 pounds to apply for this job. The job pays about $14 to $25 an hour.
- Management: Management jobs at FedEx are associated with managing and supervising crew members. Individuals are expected to lead and guide their subordinates in business as well as service operations. The individuals are tasked with interviewing applicants, evaluating team members, providing training, resolving customer disputes, etc. The candidates must be capable to stand long hours and lift 55 pounds. The applicants for the job must be high school graduates with at least one year of experience in management. The salaries of the assistant manager range from $30,000 to $80,000 a year.
Candidates can apply for a job at FedEx through the FedEx website’s careers portal and select jobs by locations as well as job categories.
Click Apply. This will lead the applicants to a job application form. Fill in the necessary details and upload your CV. The candidates can apply for multiple positions at a time. The company sends an email confirmation for the application’s registration. Online job applications are preferred over the ones that are applied for through mail or in person.
The company asks selected candidates to appear for interviews with a hiring manager. The hiring process usually takes about a week and the hired individuals are often contacted by FedEx within a week of the interview.
FedEx like most companies today drug tests its employees to make sure that they are not under the influence at the workplace. These tests can identify any recent use of medication drugs, or illegal drug use.
These tests are conducted to ensure that the employees or the job applicants do not violate significant health hazard guidelines. It is also done to deter the employees from drug abuse, which also affects their productivity at the workplace.
Drug testing also prevents the company to hire individuals who were found to be using any illicit drugs.
All new employees at FedEx go through compulsory drug tests during the hiring process. The company might also test employees that are promoted to a new position or moved to a new location. If the candidates are tested positive on the test, they are immediately disqualified.
FedEx employees go through Saliva and Urine drug tests. Saliva tests are easier to pass while urine test is not which is why it is the more accurate test. The candidates for the tests are monitored closely during the tests.
Methods of Drug Testing
Drug tests are performed by many different methods. The popular methods that are used for testing drugs are urine and breath tests. Urine testing is usually considered to be the most accurate as the drugs are more likely to remain in the urine sample longer than the breath.
Other methods used include blood testing, saliva tests, sweat tests. Some organizations even test hair.
- Breath testing: This test is generally used to detect the presence of drinks in the system. It is one of the most common methods of testing and is used most often in the corporate as well as by the government and police departments.
Blood drinks concentration is measured by making the person being tested, breathe into the blood drinks device. A person must test below 0.04 BAC to be able to qualify for the test.
- Blood tests: these tests are conducted to detect the presence of drugs in the circulatory system. The tests is usually conducted to detect the presence of prescription drugs and other substances.
- Urine test: considered to be the most accurate method of conducting drug tests, urine testing is often employed to detect the substance level in the bodies of the applicants applying for the jobs. The test is considered to show the highest accuracy of results as the substances are more likely to remain longer in the urine and thus can be used to detect the drug or substance using habits of an individual.
What are the substances that applicants are tested for?
Applicants and employees are tested for substances like prescription drugs, and illegal substances. These include:
- Hallucinogens, etc.
The drug tests are usually conducted at another location or facility, after the interview. The HR team provides the candidates with some paperwork and the candidates are sent to a hospital or facility where the tests can be performed. The samples in the urine test are tested for several drugs like benzos, marijuana, meth, etc., which takes about a week long. FedEx receives the drug test results within a week and the candidates are later contacted with the details of their hiring or rejection according to the test reports.
Benefits at FedEx
Employee benefits at FedEx include:
- Health and life insurance
- Travel discounts
- Paid time off
- 401K retirement plan
- Reduced shipping charges
- Tuition assistance.
- What is the hiring age at FedEx?
FedEx hires employees that are 18 years and above.
- What are the work hours at FedEx?
The work hours for weekdays are 7 am to 11 pm, while for weekends are 9 am to 9 pm.
- Does FedEx hire Ex-felons?
FedEx hires former felons giving them an opportunity for a fresh start in life.