Words are more powerful and using the correct set of words will always elevate us among others, which indeed helps to maintain a good relationship with other people in both personal and professional environments. Usage of polite and empathetic words plays a key criterion in a business or organization. The customer support or help desk team in any business or professional platform ensures the usage of polite and empathetic words to maintain a good relationship with their clients and customers. “My pleasure” is one such word that is used on a large scale by people on a personal or professional platform. Here, let’s know about the Meaning of My Pleasure.
My pleasure – Meaning
The word “pleasure” stands for enjoyment, happiness, satisfaction, when you “My pleasure”, it means that you are happy or satisfied in performing certain work or tasks. My pleasure is an idiomatic polite and empathetic reply when someone appreciates or thanks for one’s work or help or assistance. My pleasure is one of the common words that is used regularly in a business or organization. It is good to be used in personal life as well. The expression “My pleasure” is similar to that of “You are Welcome” but the former shows that the person is glad to be of assistance and in a more empathetic manner.
My pleasure- Examples with scenarios
Listed below are some conversations that depict how “My pleasure” is used:
On a Television talk show
TV Talk show host: Thank you for being on the show with us despite your busy schedule.
Guest: My pleasure.
During a job interview
Job Applicant: Thank you for your time. I liked the way you described the various process in this company.
Employer: It was my pleasure. Thank you for coming.
Phone conversation between two mothers
Mother 1: Thank you so much for taking Sam to the Park with you.
Mother 2: It was my pleasure. We had lots of fun.
Online shopping – customer chat with the support team
Customer: Hi. I could see the dress chosen by me in Wishlist from Levi’s brand seems to be out of stock. Could you please let me know when this will be back in stock?
Support Team: Dear Customer. I regret the inconvenience caused. It will be back in stock in two weeks. I have also shared similar dresses from the same brand. Please have a look and choose if you like anything among them.
Customer: Okay, sure. Thank you so much for the assistance.
Support Team: It is my pleasure to assist you.
While boarding a cab, customer and driver’s interaction
Customer: Could you please help me with the luggage?
Cab Driver: Sure, let me take them.
Customer: Thank you for your help.
Cab Driver: My pleasure!
Interaction between a tutor and his student
Student: Mr. Kevin, my Mathematical score has improved a lot now. All thanks to your teaching.
Tutor: That’s great. It was my pleasure teaching you.
Employer welcoming a new employee in an organization
Peter: Hi Mike. We are glad to have you on our team.
Mike: Mr. Peter, it’s my pleasure to be working under your supervision.
Customer and Hotel Manager at a restaurant discuss post their dining
Manager: Hello, hope you enjoyed your food!
Customer: Hi, yes, I did. I especially loved the spicy fish barbeque. Special mention to that dish.
Manager: Oh great! I’m glad that you liked it. Thank you so much for the compliment.
Customer: My pleasure!
Sample sentences using “My pleasure”
- It is truly my pleasure to introduce you at the meeting today.
- Though I’m worried about John leaving the team, it is also my pleasure to recommend him for the managerial position in this organization.
- “It is my pleasure to drop you at your house,” Jack said to Becca.
- It is my pleasure to present you to our guests.
- It was my pleasure working with you.
- It is my pleasure to contribute to this important work.
- It was my pleasure to be a guest at this event and I’m glad to witness the participant’s talents.
- Besides, it was my pleasure to promote you to the next level.
- It’s my pleasure to be here with the NGO and to offer my support in this initiative to encourage American citizens to donate blood.
- “My pleasure,” she replied with equal genuineness.
- It is indeed my pleasure to have this conversation with you today.
- It was my pleasure to have read this very fascinating article.
- It’s been my pleasure to be part of this drama.
- It’s been my pleasure to work with this team.
- My pleasure, do you need anything else?
- “For my pleasure, not theirs,” he responded, not so bothered.
My pleasure – When to use it?
The expression “My pleasure” can be used in personal or professional conversations. This is used when someone says thanks to a person for their help or assistance in any situation. In personal life, a person says “my pleasure” when they truly feel glad for doing some help or assistance for which they are being thanked or appreciated. For instance: When a husband does the dishwashing and his wife thanks him for supporting her with the household work. The husband replies “My pleasure” because genuinely he loves his wife and wants to do something that makes her happy.
But in a profession, whether you mean it to not, you will have to use such empathetic words like “My pleasure” when dealing with customers or clients“. For instance, a customer support executive is having a chat conversation with a fierce customer, the customer keeps arguing and demanding but all that a customer support executive can do is to be polite and clarify the queries of that customer. In this scenario, when the customer ends the chat conversation by saying “thank you for the assistance”, the customer support executive must say “it was my pleasure assisting you” though he might not feel happy dealing with such a fierce customer, it’s the morale of his work.
My pleasure – Where to use?
“My pleasure” is a common word and can be used anywhere in a business or organization or a relationship or to a third person. In a business or organization to sound more professional and empathetic, “My pleasure” is to be used. In personal life, to express happiness or love, we use “My pleasure” in our closed circles. Usage of this expression is quite mandatory in a business or organization environment whereas using it in personal life is one’s own choice. Especially for a support team or help desk personnel, their target is customer satisfaction. To keep their customers happy, they should use words that are more polite and empathetic. For people in such a profession, “My pleasure” is a must to use the word.
Wherever the words “My pleasure” are used, they just spread positivity and happiness to those who hear it. It makes the person at the receiving end feel good. In this world, the usage of such words will help to create and maintain a beautiful bond with fellow humans in a personal or professional space.
My pleasure – How to use professionally?
“My pleasure” is a commonly used expression in a sentence when it comes to a professional platform. Either with clients or customers, these words are used to make them feel happy and comfortable in collaborating with them. To use these words professionally, we have to make use of formal statements that fit in with these words and use those sentences in a relevant scenario. “My pleasure” is mostly used when a new employee at the workplace meets the Manager and has a conversation with the Manager, when the new employee is done talking, a new employee says “It was nice talking to you” and the Manager will respond “It is my pleasure”. These can be used in similar scenarios when someone meets a new person and they have a conversation; they could end their conversation with such statements in a professional manner.
In an office environment, there are email or chat templates that have been set up for all email or chat conversations that the support team or help desk does with their customers or clients. There is also a template for phone conversations stating how the beginning and end of the conversation should be. In all these templates, we could see that “My pleasure” will be used in any of the many sentences listed below
- “It is my pleasure to assist you”, “It is my pleasure to help you”, “It is my pleasure to be of assistance”, “It is indeed my pleasure to meet you” – These sentences are used in the conversation in the present tense form, meaning when someone requires for help or assistance, we assure them not to worry and that we are glad to be of help to them.
- “It was my pleasure talking to you”, “It was my pleasure to help you out”, “It was my pleasure to be at your service”, “It was indeed my pleasure to have had this conversation” – These sentences are used in the conversation in the past tense form, meaning after we have helped or assisted someone and they are thankful for our work, then we could respond in this manner conveying them that we were glad to be of assistance.
- “It would be my pleasure to help you out”, “It would indeed be my pleasure to assist you”, “It would be my pleasure to meet you” – These sentences are used in the conversation in future tense form, meaning when the person is about to ask us for any help or assistance, we assure them beforehand that we are happy to help or assist them with whatever is required from us.
Some of the situations in an organization or business to use “my pleasure” professionally among our colleagues or team:
- There is a combined project between two organizations, a new team has been allotted from the other company to assist them. Both the teams decide to work together to make it a success. They aim to make it in the best way possible, benefitting both companies. After the project completion, both the teams and the companies will show their gratitude and appreciation through basic professional attire, saying, “it was my pleasure working with you” to each other.
- When an employee is resigning or retiring from an office, it is a human courtesy to show their gratitude towards the people with whom they have worked. If they are resigning without saying anything to their colleagues, it is considered highly unprofessional and rude behavior from a professional standpoint. Even though the employee might not mean these words genuinely, they are obliged to say that “It was my pleasure being a part of this team” or “It was my pleasure working with you all”.
- Whenever there is a new employee or an existing employee resigns or gets transferred to a business or an organization, they must use the phrase “my pleasure” in the introductory note or farewell messages to sound professional and ethical. This is considered a basic expectation from any employee in a professional environment. When we use this phrase while meeting new people, it will help us to create a good bond with them. In an office environment, maintaining a good bond with the team will help us in many ways. Having a professional relationship with the team makes us stronger employees and helps us in our career development path as well.
We can also use “It’s a pleasure” in place of “It’s my pleasure”, like “It was a pleasure meeting you”, “It was a pleasure working with you” all these statements convey the same meaning and context. Using “My” in “My pleasure” focuses on the specific person who is saying that.
Some of the alternative words that can replace “my pleasure” in a sentence are as follows:
- Don’t mention it
- You’re welcome
- It’s the least I could do
- You’re more than welcome
- It’s a pleasure
- That’s alright
- Never mind
- That’s OK
- Don’t worry about it
- I’m glad to do it
- Not to worry
Hence, the usage of such polite and empathetic phrases like “My pleasure” in a workplace environment depicts professionalism. Also, using such phrases in personal life elevates us as human beings.