Everybody is quite aware of the Wegmans Food Market, Inc. If not, let me introduce it. Wegmans is a supermarket chain having its main branch in Gates, New York. Since its founding in 1916, Wegmans has grown to have 108 locations throughout the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern areas. It has received a lot of applause for the genuine effort it put into the market. One example of it would be their marketing process. In this article we shall see how do Wegmans train their employees.
It believes in selling organic and less harmful products to its customers. Similar to this, there are several other influencing factors of Wegmans. One such effort they put in is their training process. The company always gives special training to their employees. This article throws light into that segment.
About Wegmans Training: Brief Information
Training programs for staff are essential for a business as they would aid with new policies, responsibilities, sales, and the areas on which they should concentrate. Wegmans also provides training for their employees. The training they deliver is appropriate for the business demands to succeed financially. For their employees, the company gives a mixed approach to training and integrating classroom instruction with on-the-job training Noe, R., Hollenbeck, J., Gerhart, B., & Wright, P. (2009). Wegmans educates its employees about the importance of serving customers well and collaborating towards a common goal through custom training.
Wegmans Training : Explained
For them, the customer is the king. Their employees get trained to behave politely towards customers; they want them to treat them well. It also allows experienced, professional staff members to spend time with newer, younger ones and lead or assist them as necessary.
Different Methods of Wegmans Training
Wegmans use different methods to grow themselves. Some of them are:
- The company measures its success by sales and profit.
- The training process is a criterion used to assess the training provided to the workforce. In the workplace, staff applies the skills, knowledge, and attitudes acquired during training.
- Since it is the era of technology, Wegmans also tries their hands on eLearning. It is visible that hiring an instructor to train their employees is more costly. Instead, it is better to jump to web-based learning as it is less expensive. As well as providing more flexibility than scheduled training, this will also be beneficial to the company. Workers can schedule training around their existing work routines due to eLearning. In addition to submitting questions via email, online training programs also allow employees to submit questions. Consequently, the workers have the opportunity to ask questions they would be reluctant to ask in a classroom.
- Contradictory statements exist in the use of eLearning, too. Once, Danny Wegman, CEO of Wegmans, said the food business must use all five senses. According to what he said, for all other companies, the nature and use of the product will determine the profit sector. Food is to be consumed by people. It must be healthy, hygienic, and tasty. Thus, an employer must check everything before sending it for sale. Wegmans require practical training as things like cooking and baking should be done by a person. Computers can provide timers or different options for cooking and baking but can’t do the process.
- Wegmans believes in face-to-face interaction. Hence, they employ their workers to have face-to-face conversations with the customers, which might help them become more aware of their needs and wants.
What is Wegman?
Wegmans is a supermarket chain headquartered in Gates, New York. Founded in 1916, to date, it has 108 franchises. It started to flourish slowly, and by 1992, it started marketing healthy products under the brand Food You Feel Good About. They aim to inform the public that their products don’t have any added colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. In 1995, they launched the Italian Classics, which bought to market olive oils, canned tomatoes, and kinds of pasta. Next, in 2002, they launched organic products. They have received a lot of accolades from society. It has appeared on Fortune’s annual “100 Best Companies to Work For” list. ‘The Office,’ a famous American sitcom, featured the Wegman brand, as the program took place in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where Wegman had a franchise.
In addition to considering the mentality of its customers, Wegmans also focus on the mental state of its workers. The company tries to motivate the employees so that the thought of leaving the company and going somewhere never rises in the mind of the workers. As a company, Wegmans has many other responsibilities like this, which come hand in hand with success.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Wegman provide training for food preparation?
Yes. Wegman focuses on food preparation. They believe their customers should consume good food. Hence, they provide training in food handling, processing, storage, and many more.
Is eLearning a good training platform for Wegmans?
There are contradictory statements for this question, but it is not a good platform for the brand because it mainly sells food products. It is necessary to prepare food products carefully. Computers cannot cook and bake just like humans do. Thus, Wegmans takes a lot of effort in this sector. eLearning can be a good platform for auditing, kinesthetic learning, and many more.