The work itself is physically challenging but presents substantial pay and enough opportunities for adventure. The Merchant Marine ships are responsible for taking the cargo and goods around national and international waters, and marines are supposed to look over the goods. Sea and marines transport 75% of the United States’ goods. They are the people who spend days on ships to provide transportation for the people and the cargo that moves in national and international waters.let us know about that the Salaries For Merchant Marines.
If a candidate wishes to follow the path of a marine, they can choose between the different paths within the Merchant Marine. The choices to make are the engineering, deck, and steward’s departments. The choice is important to make as it is the deciding component for the requirements for the merchant marine credential (MMC). Engineers, electricians, mechanics, and oilers include in the engine department. Their job is to ensure that the machinery on a vessel operates perfectly. Members of the deck department include merchant seamen and lifeboatmen. They are supposed to help in the daily functions of the ship. The third category of the steward’s department is the people who provide food for the ship.
The average salary presented for the job
In the United States, the average salary for a merchant marine is around 52,742 per annum. The highest salary amount earned by a merchant marine is in San Francisco, with an average salary amount of $79,716 per annum, which equates to 51% higher than the United States average salary amount. The salary amount for the job falls between $10,017 and $271,999 per annum, with 48% of employees earning a salary of $48,897 per annum. If a merchant marine files for tax, with an estimated federal tax of 22% taken out, one could expect an amount of $45,199 per annum, which equates to a monthly income of $1,833.
Before moving further ahead, one has to apply for a Transportation Worker’s Identification Credential (TWIC). the selection authorities make sure that the purpose that the candidate presents no security threat of any kind. And to receive one, one has to go through an FBI background check, which has many layers to it. Physical and drug screening are must-do tests for one to be a marine. They disqualified candidates with critical diseases like heart disease and psychiatric disorders. If one wishes to progress in the merchant marine, one must take part in an apprenticeship program.
one is asked for no formal education for the position of a sailor or a marine oiler, while positions like a third mate or third assistant engineer demand a bachelor’s from the Merchant Marine Academy or completion of a training program that is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Most often, the marines gain experience on the job, and the ongoing training makes them eligible for progress in positions. The Transportation Worker Identification Credential is a very important piece of paper that is supposed to be carried with an employee depending on where the ship is traveling. The Standards of Training and Certification and the watch-keeping are supposed to be renewed every five years.
They are responsible for providing emergency services and helping other vessels maneuver and carry oil and refrigerate the cargo, in addition to people. Merchant marines are responsible for handling the cargo to maintain the engine and providing food service. In times of war, they were supposed to provide needed supplies to the troops of the U.S. navy. Along with moving the cargo and the military supplies, they are supposed to operate ferries, tugboats, motorboats, and deep-sea vessels. They usually work for private companies that work on U.S. ships.
Salaries vary by city
The salary amount varies depending on the many factors that affect it. Different cities offer different amounts for the same job.
- Atkinson presents an amount of $83,012 per annum, while Dimondale presents an amount of $76,934 per annum salary amount.
- Cambridge presents an amount of $74,185 per annum, while Vacaville presents an amount of $72,535 per annum e salary for one to be a merchant marine.
- New York City suggests an amount of $72,200 per annum, while Lake Marcel-Stillwater suggests an amount of $72,180 per annum.
- Long Beach presents an amount of $71,539 per annum, while Bridgehampton presents an amount of $71,521 per annum salary amount of the job in the United States.
- Comparatively, Bellerose and Oceanside suggest an amount of $71,201 and $70,644 per annum, respectively, for the job of a merchant marine in the United States.
Salaries vary by state
The salary amount varies depending on one’s location. Different states pay different amounts for the same job in the merchant marine of the United States.
- Florida presents a salary of $47,604 per year, while California presents a salary of $48,833 per year.
- $51,159 per annum is the average salary amount offered by Texas for the job, while in Virginia, they pay one an amount of $59,052 per annum as salary amount for the job.
- In Alaska, they present an amount of $58,305 per annum, while in Hawaii, they suggest an amount of $66,608 per annum for the job.
- The average amount of salary presented in Georgia is around $56,936 per annum, while in Washington, they present an amount of $63,675 per annum.
- The average salary amount presented to a merchant marine is around $68,944 per annum, while in New Jersey, one is presented with an amount of $43,100 per annum salary for the job. In Ohio, $63,115 per annum is the salary amount presented, whereas, in Michigan, they suggest a $54,129 per annum salary amount.
- They present one with an average salary amount of around $66,290 per annum in Colorado, while Arizona presents an amount of $55,494 per annum salary. In Alabama and Utah, the salary amount presented is $41,260 and $46,206 per annum, respectively, for the job of a merchant marine in the United States.
A merchant marine earns an average of $55,590 per annum. The highest earned by the upper 10% of people is around $120,000 per annum, while the lowest 10% salary amount falls around $27,000 per annum. The entry-level position of a merchant marine sailor earns an amount of $40,730 per annum. An amount of $73,000 per annum is the salary for the higher position, which includes a ship engineer. The salary amount for a merchant marine varies widely depending on many factors, which include educational qualifications, years of experience one has in the field, training, and certification, and the location of one’s work.