In the health department, many professions are increasing in number as the requirement increases. This new type of profession has many different types of jobs that are different from traditional jobs. They are Physician assistants, Genetic Counsellors, Medical Assistants, Phlebotomists, and Physical Therapists. The numbers are rapidly increasing in these professions as they offer good and stable careers. Let us know more detail about ‘Physical Therapist Salary’.
Physical Therapist Salary
In this article, you will understand the different types of information about the new healthcare profession that is Physical Therapist. You will get the information about its salary, job outlook, hiring procedure, and state-wise salary.
Physical Therapy is a trendy profession nowadays. Many people are trying to get into this profession as it would be a long-term profession with a good and stable career. This profession offers a good salary and a better working environment. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics, in 2018 the most salary earned annually as a Physical Therapist was $107,920 in Nevada, and the least salary earned annually was $75,010 in Vermont. The salary does fluctuate with the area but the pay is not bad.
There are some requirements like qualifications, skills, qualities, and experience that are needed for this type of job. The hiring procedure is also not easy, as the person needs to be well trained and educated. This profession’s outlook is on the positive side with the growth of 21 percent from 2020 to 2030 according to the studies. Some top companies to work for as a Physical Therapist are ATI Physical Therapy, Athletico Physical Therapy, and more.
If you want to know more about Physical Therapy, then complete reading this article as it will cover all the mentioned points in detail.
Who are Physical Therapists?
Physical Therapists are the ones who help the ill or injured people with their treatments and care. They improve the patients’ living situation from worse to better. Physical Therapists help the patients to decrease the pain and discomfort they are feeling. They use many methods to help the different types of patients. They use physical activities, massage, reflexology, and muscular and skeletal manipulation.
Physical Therapists are trained and experienced individuals with medical degrees like Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). Their responsibilities are to provide care to those who are suffering from sprains, strains, fractures, amputation, arthritis, and other problems.
With many technological advancements, physical therapy is also advanced in many ways and has become more effective. The recovery rate of the patients is increasing rapidly, and other ways to support the needed people are also developing.
Physical Therapist’s Salary State Wise
Physical Therapists are all over the world and earning different amounts of salaries. In the United States, the average salary of a Physical Therapist is $76,707 according to Glassdoor. Glassdoor also reported that the lowest salary is around $60,000, and the highest salary is around $98,000.
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics, the average salary of all the states are ranging from $75,010 annually which was the least amount of salary for a physical therapist in Vermont, and $107, 920 annually was the highest salary for a physical therapist in Nevada.
The state wise average salaries of physical therapists annually in 2018 according to Bureau of Labour Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics, are listed below. They are as follows:-
- Alabama- $90,620
- Alaska- $99,180
- Arizona- $88,800
- Arkansas- $81,430
- California- $97,110
- Colorado- $82,560
- Connecticut- $96,010
- Delaware- $93,880
- District of Columbia- 89,750
- Florida- $87,410
- Georgia- $86,320
- Hawaii- $90,540
- Idaho- $77,700
- Illinois- $90,690
- Indiana- $83,680
- Iowa- $82,960
- Kansas- $85,250
- Kentucky- $84,630
- Louisiana- $89,860
- Maine- $76,910
- Maryland- $85,170
- Massachusetts- $91,750
- Michigan- $91,160
- Minnesota- $83,750
- Mississippi- $89,720
- Missouri- $81,330
- Montana- $79,050
- Nebraska- $80,130
- Nevada- $107,920
- New Hampshire- $82,880
- New Jersey- $97,770
- New Mexico- $97,210
- New York- $87,470
- North Carolina- $87,560
- North Dakota- $78,120
- Ohio- $86,690
- Oklahoma- $84,860
- Oregon- $85,890
- Pennsylvania- $87,050
- Rhode Island- $83,850
- South Carolina- $85,450
- South Dakota- $76,200
- Tennessee- $82,920
- Texas- $92,940
- Utah- $85,940
- Vermont- $75,010
- Virginia- $91,700
- Washington- $85,930
- West Virginia- $89,420
- Wisconsin- $85,200
- Wyoming- $87,510
What Are The Different Types Of Physical Therapists?
There are different types of physical therapists who specialize in different parts of the body or just by using different methods. Some of the different types of physical therapists are listed below.
- Exercise Physiologist- This type of physical therapist uses exercises and other similar means to test or find the problem of the patient. After finding the problem of the patient, they then try to make a timetable or exercise regimen for the patient to help them solve the problem. This physical therapy requires the therapist to be able to do all the exercises with the patient. This therapy helps the patient to improve their physical health and fitness.
- Geriatric Physical Therapists- These therapists work with elderly patients. They help the patients with movements, exercise, and other physical needs. They are mainly improving the patient’s physical health and movements. They also help the patients with reducing the effects of chronic diseases like arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, and other conditions. They teach the patients different movements that will reduce the pain and also increase more movement. Some of them also help the patients to recover and gain strength after coming from surgery.
- Orthopedic Physical Therapist- This type of physical therapist specializes in the musculoskeletal system of the patient’s body. Musculoskeletal means the bones, tendons, tissues, ligaments, and joints of the body. They provide medical care to the injuries in the musculoskeletal system of the patient. Conditions like lower back pain and muscular dystrophy are treated by these types of therapists. They normally give the patients instructions to exercises to improve the condition of the patient.
- Pediatric Physical Therapist- These types of therapists are the opposite of the Geriatric Physical Therapists because they work with the age groups under 18. These therapists work with infants, toddlers, and adolescents. They work for their physical movements and fitness. They provide care for the patients with growth and physical development for all ages under 18 and not just for the babies or infants. The main areas of work needed for these types of therapists are limb abilities, cognitive disabilities, genetic conditions, and some other issues with children. They also work to improve the behavior of the children.
- Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapists- This type of therapist work with the cardiopulmonary system of their patients. The cardiopulmonary system includes the heart and lungs of the patient. This type of therapy is used to treat conditions like asthma, lung transplant, emphysema, and other conditions. They help the patients with exercises like walking and some other activities that improve breathing and blood flow.
- Occupational Physical Therapy- This type of therapy is for the issues that came from physical work on jobs. This type of therapy is for those who got injured during work. They could have lifted something heavy and or could have been sitting with the wrong posture. They give the patients tips and teach them about the movement and postures like not lifting with the back but with the knees. They train the patients to work out and increase their core strength. This therapy helps the whole body and not only particular parts of the body.
Top Companies to Work for as Physical Therapists
As the profession is growing rapidly, there are many options for companies to choose from. According to Glassdoor, some of the best companies to work with are listed below. They are as follows:-
- PT Solutions Physical Therapy– This Company has 7 office locations in the United States and with around 5000 plus employees. This company was founded in 2003 and now has 67 privately-owned physical therapy places. Many other individual locations are running with physical and occupational therapists. It is a rapidly growing company with improving work and benefits.
- Bayada Home Health Care– This Company was founded in 1975, and has 10,000 plus employees around the world. They have 33 office locations in the United States. They were first providing their customers with home health aide services, but now they are doing home health care also.
- Kaiser Permanente– They have 25 office locations in the United States and have over 10,000 employees. They were founded in 1945, and they are serving 12.5 million people in more than 600 plus locations in the United States. Their goal and mission are to provide better healthcare with quality and affordability.
- Fox Rehabilitation– They are providing healthcare and physical therapy with more than 5000 employees. It was founded in 1998 and they work with physical therapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, and other types of therapists. It is a private company and works to provide people with excellent treatments.
- Providence– This Company was founded in 1855, and it is a non-profit organization. They have revenue of $100 million to $500 million. They have more than 120,000 employees and have 25 office locations in the United States. Their motive is to serve those who are poor and vulnerable, and they have 52 hospitals and 1085 clinics.
Hiring Of Physical Therapists
Becoming a Physical Therapist is not an easy job. You have to be a well-trained and educated person to be a proper licensed Physical Therapist. There are some steps that you need to follow to get yourself hired for this job. The steps are in the list below:-
- Find the best option- This could be easy for many individuals but finding the perfect job could be difficult for many people. There are many types of physical therapist jobs, and you need to find the proper and best one for you. Don’t try to force yourself to choose a better-paying job, but try to choose a job where you could learn new things and grow in that area.
- Requirements for the job- Every therapist is required to fulfill some requirements for the job. First, you need to have a degree in Doctor of Physical Therapy from a Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited program. After graduation, you need to pass the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE). There would also be a state licensure exam that you need to pass, and every state has different licensure requirements.
- Skills and Qualities- You need to have a set of skills and qualities for this type of job. They are stamina, dexterity, interpersonal communication skills, trust, resourcefulness, observational skills, and many more. Every type of physical therapist needs different types of skills and qualities.
- Resume- You need to attract the company you are applying to with your resume. Create your resume with enough key points and skills and qualities. Try to make sure you are mentioning the things that the company requires for a physical therapist.
- Interview- Prepare for the interview by researching the company and the requirements of the company. Try to mention your experience (if any) and your skills and qualities. Ask relevant questions and answer the questions confidently.
Physical Therapist Job Outlook
The profession of Physical Therapists is a growing profession and with rapidly increasing demand. According to studies, the growth of this profession will increase by 21 percent between 2020-2030 which is more than many professions. There are around more than 15,600 openings in this profession every year.
Physical Therapist is a booming career with a decent amount of salary. With proper training and experience, one could become a successful Physical therapist. There are many types of physical therapists as there are many types of issues and problems with the same regard. Many companies are helping this profession to grow.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the places for working as a physical therapist?
Answer-Hospitals, clinics, schools, nursing homes, etc.
2. Do I have to get a license for this type of job?
Answer-Yes, you need to have a proper license for working as a Physical Therapist.
3. What is the hourly pay of a physical therapist?
Answer-It is around $40 per hour.
4. Is this profession only for hospitals?
Answer-No, there are many uses of this profession like private therapists, school physical therapists, and more.
5. Is there any training after getting the job?
Answer-No, you have to be trained and experienced for getting this job.