Dollar general corporation, based in America, is a chain of variety stores headquartered in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. It was established in 1939 as a family-owned business named J.L. Turner and Son in Scottsville, Kentucky. The name was changed to dollar general in 1955, and thereafter the company went on to public listing on the New York Stock Exchange in 1968. As of 2020, the dollar general was spotted at 112 on Fortune 500.
Dollar General offers various services in areas such as clothing, cleaning, home decor, health and beauty aids, toys, pet supplies, grocery, and seasonal items. As a result, dollar General has become one of the most popular and profitable general stores in the rural United States, recording around $27 billion and total assets of around $22,825 billion in 2019.
With 16,278 operating stores in the continental United States as of January 2020, dollar general is the house to more than 143,000 employees.
Dollar General offers many management jobs such as:
- Sales Associate
- Assistant Manager
- Store Manager
This article will discuss the job aspects and salaries of the store manager.
The position of a store manager is of responsibility. He is to perform managerial functions of the store. So he is to take care of different activities concerning a store of the organization. For example, he is responsible for the recruitment and staffing, assisting in the hiring process, supervising entry-level employees, overseeing retail operations, and ultimately customer satisfaction for the organization’s benefit. In addition, he is to comply with the company procedure, SOP, and the safe deposit of the company’s funds in designated banks. Furthermore, he is to see the company’s merchandise and the company’s statements and oversee that all the functions run smoothly in the organizational structure.
Responsibilities for Store Managers
As store managers, they have to perform the following duties:
- Assisting in recruiting and staffing and the whole hiring process
- Assisting in inventory management, take of the availability of the inventory, proper execution of the damages, scanning, paperwork, and facility control
- Prepare and conduct inventories, maintaining proper records
- Assisting in-store merchandising in staging, stocking, and storage of merchandising
- Proper pricing of merchandising, properly utilizing merchandising fixtures
- The ensuring company established standards of merchandising
- Supervising store employees
- Ensure compliance with the procedures established by the company, SOP, etc.
- Undertaking the store opening and closing activities
- Follow up the prescribed company ordering practices meeting or exceed stock targets
- Ensuring a safe environment for customers
- Maintenance of store in a safe, well-stocked, convenient, and clean store
- Reviewing all the statements concerning the store, its sales, labor, earnings, cost control, and overall proficiency of the business.
- Ensuring all the documentation and paperwork is completed according to the guidelines and well within the time
- Discharging the duties of the store manager in the absence of the latter
Apart from these duties, they may be required to answer telephones, setting schedules, and communicating with dollar corporate offices.
Following are the educational and experience requirements for the candidates who wish to apply for the store manager at dollar general:
- Age: The minimum age required is 18 years.
- Educational: High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- For internal candidates, who are already working in the dollar general – four months experience as an assistant store manager.
- For external candidates – one year experience in the field of retail.
- Job Training at dollar general involves hands-on audio, visual, and verbal orientation. It may take up to one week in job training.
Along with educational requirements, candidates for the store manager position must be healthy and physically fit to perform regular work at the store involving:
- Frequent walking and standing for long hours
- Handling of heavy merchandise and equipment such as boxes, cartels, containers, two-wheel dollies, and u-bots
- Lifting to 40 pounds and more
- Bending, stooping, and kneeling for various store purposes
- Driving to various places such as banks, management meetings, and other dollar general stores around,
- so he must be able to handle outside weather conditions.
Apart from these educational and experience requirements, store managers must possess the following skills as well, such as:
- They must be able to perform basic math calculations efficiently and accurately, such as addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication
- They must possess the skills for the reading and interpretation of various documents such as safety rules, diagrams, operating and maintenance instructions, complex terms, and rules
- Ability and knowledge for the management of inventory
- Knowledge of merchandising practices
- Basic knowledge of accounting practices, cash handling, cashier accountability, and deposit controls
- They must be able to learn and perform IBM cash register functions
- They must have knowledge of the recruitment and hiring process, counseling, and termination policies
- Knowledge of legal compliance, and internal processes
- Excellent communication skills, both oral as well as written
- Knowledge of safety control policies and measures, such as store keys, SAFE, and STARS, etc.
- He must possess interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving abilities offering solutions to problems
- Excellent detail-oriented organizational skills
The salary of store managers varies according to the qualification and experience of the candidate. It also increases from the initial levels as the experience increases. According to Glassdoor, the average salary of a store manager at dollar general is $47,436 per year, and it ranges between 25k and 329k annually. According to Indeed, the average salary of a dollar general store manager is $33,823 per year, which is 24% below the national average salary for a store manager. According to career bliss, store managers at dollar general earn an average of $43,000 per year or $21 per hour. As per PayScale, a dollar general corporation pays its store managers an average of $46,056 per year, ranging from an average of $36,642 to $66,630 every year. Zippia records the average salary offered by dollar general for its store manager at $108,078 per year. According to ecityworks.com, the average salary of a dollar general store manager is $36,720 per year, which is 18% below the national average salary for a store manager.
Salary also varies according to the job location. Careerbliss provides salaries of dollar general store manager at a different location as follow:
|Houston, TX||$30k per year|
|Ponca City, FL||$30k per year|
|Poteet, TX||$30k per year|
|Pryor, OK||$35k per year|
|Montgomery, AL||$40k per year|
|Binghamton, NY||$45k per year|
Other benefits for the qualified dollar general management employees include:
- Paid time off
- 401 (k) retirement plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health care coverage
- Life insurance
- Discount on dollar general products and services
Working Hours: Dollar general managers usually work full-time or hourly as 48 to 58 hours per week.
The position of a store manager in any company is of utmost importance. For a store, he is the person behind real activities going on at the store. So it will not be wrong or exaggerated if we say that a store manager is the store owner for the time being. He is responsible for maintaining the store concerning inventory, merchandise, finances, compliance with policies and procedures. It is also a well-paid job.
So if you have the skills and capabilities required for this position, you can go for this job at dollar general, considering the status established by the corporation over the period of time in the field of the variety store. In addition, being one of the most profitable store chains in the United States of America, it provides a good environment to work for an excellent working experience and career opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What are the minimum educational requirements for a dollar general store manager? The basic educational requirements for a dollar general store manager is a high school diploma or a general education diploma (GED).
- Is there any experience required for this post? Yes, for the employees of the dollar general, such as assistants, it is four months. For outside candidates, the experience of one year is preferred.
- Who is paying the highest to a store manager? According to career bliss, IKEA pays the highest to its store managers at $164,000 per year and mobile solutions pay the lowest at $17,000 per year.
- How much a dollar general store manager makes? According to glassdoor A dollar general store manager earns, the average salary of a store manager at dollar general is $47,436 per year and it ranges between 25k and 329k annually. Whereas According to career bliss, store managers at dollar general earn an average of $43,000 per year. As per payscale, the dollar general corporation pays its store managers an average of $46,056 per year whereas it ranges from an average of $36,642 to $66,630 on yearly basis. For detailed salary please refer to the para above titled “salary.”
- How much a dollar general store manager makes an hour? A store manager at dollar general makes an average of $21 an hour.
- What is the work environment dollar general store manager works in? The schedule of a store manager remains busy. He responsible for the store so the work environment may be pressurized, competitive, hectic, and chaotic.
Latest Store Manager Job Vacancies
- Store Manager – Chattanooga, TN
- Store Non-Perishable Manager DGPP – Cullman, AL
- Store Perishable Manager – DGPP – Cullman, AL
- Store Manager – Shady Valley, TN
- Store Manager – Atoka, TN
- Store Manager – Jacksonville, FL
- Store Manager – Waterbury, CT