We often hear this statement in our life. You may or may not agree with it. In the case of an interview, however, this assertion is frequently proven to be correct. To kick things off from shore, let’s begin with knowing may be a Resume. So what exactly is a resume? It can be classified as a formal document that an applicant creates to itemize their qualification for some desired post! A good resume’s ultimate purpose is to convey your qualifications and talents to potential employers. let us know about that the Engineering Technician Resume Building Guide.
What is a Resume?
Well, this is not such a common question! Most people already know about it but there is far more than being just a paper with all your abilities and capabilities listed. A resume is a formal document that summarises your professional qualities, including relevant job experience, abilities, education, and noteworthy achievements. A resume, which is usually accompanied with a cover letter, helps you exhibit your skills and persuade companies that you’re qualified and hireable. It’s a softer version of the person who will be presented to recruiters.
Importance of resume
A resume is an important tool for your job search because it is foresightedly a soft representation of yourself towards the recruiter. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate your abilities and traits. Resumes are used by employers to have a better understanding of a potential employee. Because it is the first step in acquiring a job, it must be something so captivating that it causes recruiters to become polarized.
A resume is frequently a must for moving further in the interview process in today’s competitive professional job market. An excellent CV will show companies right away why the individual is a suitable fit for the open position.
- Outline your relevant experience and skills.
- Showcases the benefits you provide to companies.
- Attracts the attention of potential employers
- It matches you to the job.
- This might lead to an interview.
What a Recruiter looks for in your Resume?
There are a lot of things a Recruiter looks upon while shortlisting a Resume for filtering out potential interview candidates, while some of those would be listed below, there are some which need not be discussed such as dressing, behavior, etc.
1) Language and Grammar
For having the most beneficial impact on Recruiter, having a positive first impression is a must and that can be accompanied by having good grammar and a stronghold of vocabulary.
2) Length of CV
Ideally, a CV should be 1-2 pages long, highlighting all the important details that one believes would have the strongest impact on another’s brain.
3) Educational Details
In a chronological order, provide your school data either before or after the part with your professional experience. Mention your school, university (if applicable), degrees/specializations, and the grades you earned in each. The finest CVs emphasise how your educational credentials and disciplines relate to your present position and/or the one you’re seeking for.
This section of the resume is the most crucial since the type of work that specifies its need is determined by one’s level of knowledge.
4) Work Experience
The next most important bit after your educational details is your work experience. It should include everything that you have worked upon and have made a positive outcome out of, it can range from full-time work to half-time work, internship to online courses, or even freelance projects.
5) Specific Skills and Competencies
Many occupations and roles need candidates to possess certain skills or competencies that are relevant to the position. These may not be included clearly in the Job Description, but they can serve as screening criteria. As a result, if a candidate’s CV lacks the required skills/competences, the recruiter may reject it.
Even if the job description calls for a data scientist, the recruiter may be searching for someone who knows how to code in Java and is knowledgeable about data science.
Now, let’s Ponder over the term Engineering Technician, this job consists of working with a skilled team of qualified engineers and technologists to ensure that all machinery used to bring a design to life remains functional and the production line stays in motion.
There is a need for Technicians in every field, namely Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Chemical Engineering.
Making a Resume to outstand every other candidate requires some Skills and knowledge but before let us look for what employers look for in a Resume! Clear, easy-to-understand language with no-nonsense information is the key to success”What did you do for a living?” “Why did you do it?” “How did it turn out?” An employer searches for these annotations in a resume; the more clearly this information is provided, the greater the chances of being chosen!
Engineering technicians work alongside other engineers, assisting them with research, evaluation, design, and quality control processes.
- Collaborating with engineers to develop, create, and test solutions to a wide range of technological issues.
- Examining and making changes to existing designs and prototypes.
- Conducting research, gathering data, and creating daily reports are all part of the job.
- Engineers’ feedback is included into designs using CAD software.
- Tests, diagnostics, and calibrations are all carried out.
- Experiments and studies are carried out under the supervision of engineers.
- Reordering materials and technical components after inspecting inventories.
- Analyzing operations and suggesting ways to enhance them.
- Maintaining records and aiding with presentations are two of my responsibilities.
- Attending conferences and other learning and development opportunities.
What is the job title of an engineering technician?
Engineering technicians are qualified engineers that work alongside engineers and assist them with a variety of tasks. Engineering technicians support engineers in gathering data, developing and running tests, constructing equipment, and documenting test results as engineers utilise their math and scientific skills to solve issues and design products. They take on greater engineering responsibilities as their expertise and knowledge grows. Adjusting test equipment, installing small equipment, drawing graphs and curves, conducting computations, and completing rudimentary drawings are some of their responsibilities. Their responsibilities differ depending on the industry in which they operate. An automotive engineering technician may diagnose and repair a vehicle’s problem, whereas an electronics and electrical engineering technician assembles electrical systems. The responsibilities of an engineering technician will also differ depending on the company.
Required Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Product performance is something that I’m quite interested in.
- flexible and improvising behaviour
- Engineer with a background in computer science and engineering.
- Is competent to carry out independent research.
- Works nicely in a group setting.
- Pays great attention to the smallest of details.
- When conducting several tests, demonstrate patience.
- Possesses excellent organising abilities.
- Has excellent writing abilities.
- Communicates well and simply.
- Can decipher and interpret engineering jargon.
- Demonstrates the capacity to convert scientific jargon into plain English for the purpose of explanation.
- Has excellent public speaking skills.
- Customer service and interpersonal abilities are excellent.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of intellectual curiosity.
- Shows knowledge of correct lab safety protocols.
Things to keep in Mind
Now that we are good to begin building our Resume, we must have one thing very clear in our minds i.e., For which specific situation, we are building our Resume?
- It can be a resume with No experience
- Entry-Level Resume
- A student resume for Internship
- Resume for a Part-time Job
- Career Change resume
Try to be as specific as you can be, you can have multiple resumes for different roles. Read the job description and build your resume accordingly. As mentioned earlier, companies have special machines called Application Tracking Systems (ATS) in which they shortlist resumes based on certain predefined keywords which are related to the Job post. So, mention the right keywords all-around city may beCity your resume by passing the ATS.
Now, let’s quickly jump into the step-by-step procedure to build an effective Resume.
Types of Engineering Technicians
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Industrial Engineering Technician
- Nuclear Engineering Technician
- Environmental Engineering Technician
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technician
- Computer Engineering Technician
- Aerospace Engineering Technician
- Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technician
Contents of a Powerful Engineering Technician Resume
- Pick your Format
- Basic Information
- Work Experience
- Educational Qualifications
- Special Skill for a Technician (If any)
- Concluding Statement
To Start, Always Choose your Format first, make sure you have a brief idea about how you want your resume to look. Include sections like- Your Work Experience, Your Co-Curricular Achievements, Your Education and Certifications, Your Skills and Interests. Make sure to highlight the part that you think is most likely to impress the employer.
Start writing with your Basic Information on the top as a header because it could be helpful for the recruiter to get in touch with you.
After it, add in your work experience, this section of the resume is going to be the most lengthy and bulky amongst the others since this is what the recruiter is looking forward to deciding your destiny upon! Include every qualification you find worthy enough to be in your resume. You will almost always want to have your most recent experience at the top and your older experience down below.
Top them off with some skills and interest and you are good to go.
To conclude your resume, always write an impactful closing statement with the main gist of why you are perfect for the job.
Some Essential Skills for being the best among the rest are given below
- Problem-solving ability
- Industry skills
- Pressure management
- Structural Analysis
- Communication skills
- Attention to Detail
- Leadership Qualities
Where can you build a resume?
There are many platforms where you can make an effective resume.
If you already have an idea about resumes and want to design your resume, in your way. Then, you can simply use Google docs or Microsoft Word. They are easy to use, give you a lot of functionality and freedom to build your resume. They even have built-in Templates to help you get an idea about how your resume should look.
But if you are a beginner, and you don’t have any idea about Resume Building, then there are many free and paid online websites available, which can give you a step-by-step path to show how you should build your Resume. They even provide you with the Resumes of Industry experts as an example. Some of the best online websites for resume building are:
- Resume genius
Some of the best practices you can follow are
- Length – DO NOT make a 2- or 3-page resume unless you believe it will add value to it, remember the recruiter is going to give hardly 10-15 secs to each resume as he has 1000s of candidates to interview. They will never be willing to read a full story about your life. It is always advisable to make a one-page resume, mentioning only those things which will uplift your value.
- Headings – Use the same heading style for all of your headings. If you use different and fancy styles for every other heading, it will simply not look Professional.
- White Spaces – Don’t leave a lot of space between sections. It looks very odd. Add spaces as much as required. And at the same time, leave an ample amount of space around the margins.
- Font – Use professional fonts which are pleasing to the eyes and easy to read. Some of them are Roboto, Arial, Times New Roman. Never use funky handwriting style fonts like Comic Sans.
- Font Size – Proper sizing of fonts all around the resume should be there. It is advisable to use 11-12 pt for Normal Text and 14-16 pt for Headings.
- Template – If you are seeking a job in a traditional industry like banking, finance. You may choose a freer-looking template. But, if you are applying to a tech company, then you can choose a little modern template and showcase your innovation.
The objective for an Engineering Technician Post
- Assist in the auditing process
- Production support
- Implementation of continuous improvement upgrades
- Adhere and implement SOP’s
- Support in finishing operation
- Product and Process trial
In many positions, technicians also must interact with customers and provide professional, helpful service, along with honest advice and cost estimates. Your aim should highlight your technical abilities, as well as your ability to effectively communicate, manage time, and prioritise projects. Engineering technicians collaborate with engineers and technologists as part of a team. They must aid these folks in problem-solving and product design. Their daily activities include conducting tests, collecting data, constructing equipment, and keeping track of performance.
An Example Resume is given below:-
TONY STARK Email: [email protected]
Phone: (123) 456 1232 LinkedIn: linkedin.com/tonystark Address: 1737 Marshville Road,
Engineering that is dependable Technician with extensive experience working on both private and government projects. Proven experience handling any sort of form submission procedure, collaborating with field engineers to resolve difficulties, and keeping precise project records. Every project’s technical position is assigned responsibility, which he honours.
- CAD/CAM Software Utilization
- Government Procedures Expert
- Vendor Management
- Field Process Administration
- Corporate Communications
- Project Management
Engineering Technician, September 2010 – May 2015
Kamco Chew Foods – Miami, Florida
- Before the project starts, it is your responsibility to understand the form submission process for each project.
- For all active initiatives, I was in charge of the paperwork and digital information.
- Served as a link between the engineers in the production office and the field crew.
Assistant Project Manager, June 2001 – September 2010
SR25 Confectionary – Salt lake city, Utah
- Arranged all vendor deliveries to the job site.
- Managed all correspondence coming into and going out of the site office.
- Compiled the daily personnel timesheets for management.
2001 Associate’s Degree, Structural Engineering
Guelph Community College – Dark city, Florida
ROBERT DOWNEY Email: [email protected]
Phone: (123) 456 78 99 LinkedIn: linkedin.com/robertddowneysmith Address: 1737 Marshville Road,
Skilled Maintenance Professional with ability in mechanical and electrical operations. Have special bonding with Machines and a hand in Computer System architecture. Known for quality and timely submission of work.
ability to balance priorities and tight deadlines.
To work for the organisation to the best of my knowledge and skill in areas where the company might benefit from my services and provide me with professional knowledge, as well as to demonstrate that I am a valued asset to the organisation.
- Microsoft Office
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- AFE Navigator
- IHS Enerdeq
- Internet Research
Engineering Technician ABC Corporation April 2013 – October 2016
- Assisted over Dual-Chamber systems
- Built Semiconductor Systems
- Maintained Statistical data on the Production line
- analyzed Business report of the financial year during audit season
- Tested electrical signaling Components and boxes
Facility Operations Specialist ABC Corporation March 2011 – March 2013
- Track facilities, utilities, and ground maintenance Schedulings
- Maintain and enforce safety regulations during various phases
- Coordinate in projects
- Represented Organization at various Summits and convocations
- 10+2 from Harvard International school (92%)
- Graduated from Oxford (93%)
(Bachelor in Technology)
- Post-graduation from MIT (94%)
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Ability to build interpersonal relationships
- A high degree of self-motivation
- Teamwork spirit
- Positive mindset.
Salary Expectations of Engineering Technician
The average technical engineer salary in India is ₹ 450,000 per year or ₹ 231 per hour. The starting salary for entry-level occupations is $335,167 per year, with most experienced individuals earning up to $1,500,000 per year.
It is not advised to write the salary expected in resume since a startup firm won’t be able to pay as much as an MNC could though the work is the same and also a high expected salary could turn the table upside down and can lead to rejection of your resume, if the firm necessitates writing expected salary, always write NEGOTIABLE with your expected option.
Few Important Tips
- File Format – It is highly recommended that you save your Resume in PDF Format, as most of the devices have proper applications to open a PDF. Word files can easily mess up your resume format.
- Punctuation – Please avoid making Punctuation mistakes as it can annoy the recruiter while reading the resume.
- Accurate English – Try to be as correct as possible grammatically, as it creates a deep impression. If you have any doubt, use an online English checker tool and you are good to go.
- Checking – And most important, don’t forget to double or triple-check your resume before handing it out to the recruiter.
- Lastly, a good resume and a confident personality go hand in hand for having a powerful impact on the recruiter hence being confident during interviews is a must.
- NEVER LIE IN YOUR RESUME, Facts are stubborn things, believing that no one is going to bother about what you write in your resume is a clear lie. If even slight discrepancies are detected, you may be disqualified from further consideration for the position.
- Most employers think that just a resume is not enough to hire someone for a job, so you can write a good cover letter for your job. It is a direct message from you to the recruiter.
- It should be created with good and polite words. Introduce yourself and try to make an impression by saying something good about the company and why you would like to work in that company. Tell them how you would like to fulfill your responsibilities in the company. And then, give them a simple thank you at the end.
As you know already, apart from you, there are 1000s of other job seekers who are making their resumes for the same post you are applying for.
In such a case, your resume must stand out so that it can catch the attention of your recruiter. Try avoiding the templates which everybody else uses, and make your own unique design. Create a great cover letter specifically for the recruiter. And lastly, the golden rule is to be as specific as you can be.
The recruiter should understand why it is important for him to recruit you. Everybody works for profit and he can see the company’s profit by hiring you. Then he’ll do that. So, it is now up to you, how you present yourself to the recruiter.