Imagine how difficult it would be to follow directions if the compass was not invented. Do you think you will be able to navigate on your own if there wasn’t anyone to guide you with the directions? Not really. Orientation is what does the work of a compass or that someone you ask for directions (when you are lost) in a company. Its main objective is to introduce you to the interests, goals, and activities of an organization. It is like an introductory chapter of any textbook. Therefore, it is advisable to have an idea of how much time it usually takes in orientation, especially if you know in which company to work. If you are interested to work in Dunkin’ Donuts, then knowing how long it might take for its orientation, will not only help you to prepare in advance but will save your time as well.
You may ask how will knowing about the duration of orientation at Dunkin’ Donuts would help you in preparing in advance and saving your time.
- If it is your first job then this article will help you in gaining an insight into how its orientation works and for how long.
- It is uncomfortable to work in a new environment initially, takes time to settle down. Thus, having an idea of how long this orientation is going to be will help you in mentally preparing yourself for what you are stepping into and how much time it is demanding from your schedule.
- Planning is always a wise decision. So, if you know the approximate time taken for its orientation, then it will help you to figure out how to proceed with your day. For instance, if you know that the induction starts at 10 a.m. and approximately takes one hour to finish, then planning to meet your friends after 11:15 a.m. for lunch would be a better decision. Therefore, knowing about the timings will not only favor you in maintaining a schedule for yourself for other things but train you to be more organized as well.
Types of orientation-
At Dunkin’ Donuts, it turns out that they provide two kinds of orientation for their employees(newbies). It depends on the fact of what type of employee you are.
- For the part-time newbie, the duration of the introductory session is comparatively lesser than the full-time ones. The session comprises twenty-thirty minutes only.
- For the full-time ones, the duration of the session can be a bit longer. It is thirty to forty-five minutes usually.
What they cover in the session-
The reason behind this timed session is that they have a lot of topics to cover. They talk about their-
- Brand awareness
- Work Experience
- Customer service
- Training and career opportunities
- Branding awareness – In this, they discuss the history of their company, how the idea about dunking the doughnuts in a coffee led to the present name of the company, the present scenario, and the prospects of their business. You will learn about the parent company, the founder of this establishment, the locations at which they are operating, the type of bakeries and beverages they provide and the other products offered, the location of the corporate headquarters, etc.
- Work experience- The actual crew members of the company share their work experience at Dunkin’ Donuts and teach you about some basic brand standards like what kind of conduct is expected from you as an employee, the requirement of adhering to the dress code, to be a team player and respecting your guests and team players, etc.
- Customer service- They introduce you to the topic that how important customers are and that serving the customer is your main objective. It is therefore imperative for you to greet the customers when they enter the store, to always be friendly, and to have a smile on your face so that they visit your store again and again. Some customers might also visit the orientation as guests where they speak about their expectations from the company.
- Training and career opportunities- Over here, they will let you know about the career prospects and what are the key elements to becoming successful at Dunkin’. They show you the potential career ladder as well.
In a nutshell, the orientation at Dunkin’ helps you to gain awareness about the company you are going to work in. They discuss the history and culture of their establishment, the work environment, brand standards, and what you are expected as a member. It usually takes thirty minutes to finish but it might vary for the part-time and full-time employees.
Frequently asked questions-
- What is the dress code for the orientation?
It is usually a white polo shirt with blue jeans.
- Do they ask questions at the orientation?
No, they don’t. They introduce to you about their company.
- Does orientation and training session mean the same thing at Dunkin’?
No, it doesn’t. They both are different. Orientation comes before your training starts. Orientation acts like giving an overview of the company whereas training is about you learning the skills for your job.
- Do eminent guests come to this session?
It is generally the customers who come as guests in the orientation.