There is a saying by Mary Lou Retton quotes that “Working hard becomes a habit, a serious kind of fun. You get self-satisfaction from pushing yourself to the limit, knowing that all your efforts are going to pay off.” Any kind of work done towards the betterment of the people is like the work of God. One should always remember that no work is big or small and one is doing their job honestly, diligently, and responsibly then not only does it benefit them but also the society and the country. We often forget that behind a leader is a team of people who are constantly working and making sure not to miss anything and get everything spot on. These members shouldn’t be forgotten or left behind as they play the most important part of anything. They make it look that their job is simple but it’s not, they spend their man-hours non-stop to get everything on time and in order. In this article we will discussing the complete Legislative Aide job description guide over here.
Before we try to understand the job of a legislative aid let us first understand the definition of legislation. In simple words, legislation means laws that are considered collectively or the process of making or enacting laws. Though this might seem very easy-going and simple work it is not. It is the entire preparation done by a body that includes evaluating, amending, and voting which speaks about the purposes of the proposal. The process results in an idea that becomes a bill. A bill is something that is like a draft or a tentative version that might or might not become a part of the law. When the bill is approved it is known as an act or statute. The entire process of the implementation of the legislation is left to the relevant constitution.
The ideas for legislation can from various sources or can come from other countries or states with the hope that it might make things much better and healthier. The idea of copying isn’t considered bad or wrong in any matter as long it provides benefits to all. The drafts or bills do not get approved in a day or two and aren’t looked upon by just a few people. Rather it’s a long tedious process involving different groups and people and during the process can go through a lot of changes as well because these drafts are exposed to other models that are suggested by different organizations that are taking part in it. One should understand that legislation is not done keeping in mind only a minute amount of people but a large number of people whose lives it may or may not become a part of. The term legislation is used so that these drafts can be differentiated from other businesses that have to be looked into by the government.
Legislation is considered one of the three most important functions of the government. In any sovereign country, it is always that people hold the power even more than a government authority. The right kind of political action is determined only by the satisfaction and acceptance of the people. Hence people also become a part of the law-making. Though people do not completely understand the process of legislation it is still very crucial to make people a part of it. For people to have a basic understanding of legislation it needs to be addressed and brought out in their education. Making laws and enacting them is not easy but some people are working tirelessly to make it possible and see that all the businesses of the country are running smoothly.
What is a legislative aide?
In basic words, legislative aides are those who help legislators. Legislative aides are people who go through the process of research, analysis, publications, legal services, and other written work which is required to make the draft. The legislative aides are responsible for making memorials and sanctions. Legislative aides act like the roots of a tree. As the roots of the tree grow longer, wider, and stronger, the tree is more healthy and firm. Same way when legislative aides do their work perfectly like the roots they create a stronger base for the draft.
The work of a legislative aid has to be very precise, methodical, and perfect. We hear people say that humans cannot make everything perfect but they forget that legislative aides constantly work for perfection in every stride that they take. Legislative aides are behind the success that a legislator tries to conquer. Legislative aides provide their services in every department that one could think of. A legislative aide works a proper weekday job like anybody else when there is not a lot of work but when there are important sessions and a larger quantity of sessions then they have to work overtime, weekends, and sometimes might not even have time for themselves and their families.
If anybody wants to have a political career then they have to start with being a legislative aide as it is like a baby learning to slowly walk until they eventually start walking running and racing which is a major part of a political career. The career of a legislative aide is a very long one. While some might choose to shift their offices from one official to the other but some choose to work only one official. The primary work of a legislative aide is to provide support services to the official that they are working under. Legislative aides must be responsible and creative so that they can solve problems that are coming to them. An aide must be well aware of opinions, suggestions, and be able to understand the situation because this will help them have their ideas and opinions which will be clear and precise and gives them the upper hand to speak for themselves. The work of a legislative aid is a mixture of both field and office work. Most of their work will be limited to the office but sometimes they might have to juggle between them both to get the work done for their officials.
Legislative Aide Job Description
Duties of a Legislative Aide
- Research: The employee should conduct extensive researches and various surveys to gather information required for the preparation of the legislation. They should be well aware of the whereabouts of policy makings so that they can prepare reports and briefings with which they will provide information to their officials. They also have to keep a constant check on the hearing and committees so that they are aware of the progress of the bills. They should be well informed about each specific issue as it will help them in finding the correct solutions.
- Communication and Public Relations: A legislative aide should have great communication skills as many people will come to them about different concerns and inquiries. They have to be hands-on and be able to answer them all. They are like a string which connects different offices hence they have to be very good at what they do. These offices will be government and other private groups as well. They will be responsible for all the official correspondences of the government hence there is no space for any kind of error.
- Administrations: Candidates wanting to apply for this position should not just have great communication skills but also great teamwork skills. They should be able to handle multiple groups at the same time and be able to all of the groups’ requirements. They are also responsible for the arrangements that need to be made for the officials which can be travel, meeting appointments, etc. Not just occasional arrangements but they also have to look into the daily activities and see that everything will run smoothly. They have to handle the storage area as well. These jobs might look very simple but we only have the true idea of difficulty and hectic when we experience it ourselves.
Employees who have managed to achieve all of the above with years of experience will remain as a precious asset to their officials and over a period they will be given work related to sensitive matters to work with. Such an honor is not achieved and gained by all.
Additional Skills and Knowledge
Working in the government is not an easy job. Apart from being able to manage the above duties candidates or employees must have some additional skills and knowledge such as:
- Being able to manage both office and personnel work
- Should have great written skills
- Should be able to process things quickly and work with speed as well as accuracy
- Have great statistical and graph skills
- Should be well aware of the working of all the government systems
- Should be able to work under time pressure efficiently
- One of the most important skills is being able to manage confidentiality under all costs
These are some of them but as you work in the environment the candidate or the employee will learn more and get better.
Qualifications of Legislative Aide Job
The basic qualification required for this position is a bachelor’s degree. This degree can be in public administration, communications, business, and other related fields relating to the occupation are preferred. Apart from this, a kind of training or experience in this field will give a jumpstart to the candidates. Prior experience with the job is also an added benefit to the candidates.
Salary of a Legislative Aide
The most basic salary of a legislative aide is $43,145 per year. This payment is a pretty good amount for the amount of work and energy that employees put into their occupations. They are also provided with other benefits such as insurance which is a really good safety net not just for themselves but also for their family members.
To conclude with a quote by Julia Gillard who says that “At the end of the day government is about teamwork and partnership and they can prove that only by working hard”