Essays are an effort or an attempt to express your thoughts regarding a particular topic. In an essay, the writer expresses the idea in front of the reader. An essay is a short piece of writing that gives arguments and facts concerning a single idea. An essay can be described as the literature of self-expression.
Writing an essay in 250 words is quite easy. You need to organize your ideas, facts, and examples precisely that would be easy to read and grasp. You should be careful not to use extra lengthy sentences or improper vocabulary. Following these basic steps would help you create a 250-word essay in no time.
What are various types of essays?
Before we jump into the tips for effective essay writing skills, let us quickly look at various types of essays that you can create. There are four types of essays which are listed below:
- Narrative – These are the essays that describe an actual or an imaginary situation. These essays are purely narrative when they are being written. It is almost as if you are describing a tale from folklore. Some common examples where you can witness narrative forms of writing are human creativity, photography, art, entertainment, including music, song, comics, journalism, gameplay, TV, drawing, and other visual art.
- Descriptive – As the name suggests, these essays describe a situation in a detailed manner. They are used to describe things that have happened or are happening. They are mostly related either to history or to current situations.
- Argumentative – Argumentative essays serve the purpose of writing essays that deal with debate topics. These topics will clearly state facts and examples that are contradictory in appearance and essence.
- Reflective – Reflective essay is written about some idea in particular. These essays can be written on topics with a need for social awareness. Topics like depression and stress disorders, misbeliefs in society, the elections, etc., are a great way to reflect upon society and present it in written form. Adding a personal reflection of the item or incident feelings and situation in life.
How to start writing a 250 words essay?
Every innovative and fun thing which exists now has its power originating from the roots of its beginning. If you desire to write an impeccable essay, you can start with the following method. Here are four essential steps that will serve as pioneers in your effective writing journey.
- The Title: Your title is your abode which you will be describing in detail. Thus, make sure you give your essay an attractive and alluring title that grasps the reader’s attention right away. Please don’t make it too long so that you can save your word count.
- Introduction: This is the part of your essay where you need a mere 2-3 sentences. And these sentences are going to set up the mood of your article. If you can create a warm and energetic beginning, you get to maintain the reader’s attention rapidly. This part of 2 to 3 sentences (around 30 to 40 words) can include catchy slogans, poems, conversations, quotes, or any other innovative style to create a mood for the reader. Write your introduction in such a way that the reader is compelled to scroll over and read next.
- Body of the Essay: This part of the essay is where you build the essence of the essay. It consists of 140-150 words and includes all the data regarding the topic. If it is a technical topic that requires facts and data, then mention it appropriately. If it is more ethical or moral, then create the aura by mentioning examples and case studies. While writing the body of the essay, make sure you write the content in paragraphs. After every 3 to 4 sentences, change the paragraph. The body of the essay should be in sync with the introduction. Only then will you be able to create an impressive conclusion. Remember to end your last paragraph with either conclusive or supportive statements. This will help you create a notion that you are now headed towards the conclusion part.
NOTE: Any essay with sync in introduction and body will automatically lead to a strong and exquisite ending or conclusion.
- Conclusion: The conclusion is the last part of the essay. One way to nail this part is by researching the topic thoroughly and creating a conclusion for the same beforehand. If you have a conclusion in your head, then you can easily reciprocate it with words. Make sure your conclusion is satisfactory and doesn’t leave the reader on a cliffhanger mode. People always tend to approve essays or write-ups with decisive and powerful conclusions. But, if you are trying to play with the odds and wish to have a cliffhanger conclusion, keep in mind to present some powerful statements that would compel the reader to think about it.
Tips to Improve Your Essay
Now that you know how to start writing an essay let us focus on some basic steps to improve your writing standards. Here are the most needed steps for creating a phenomenal essay:
- Get control of capitalization: This fundamental step can set the mood of your essay right away. If you are not good at generating the content, but you know how to maintain capitalization. Then, you still have a chance to stand out. Always make sure all the initials in the title should be capital (take a look at the title of this article). When it comes to subheadings, the initials of the first word must be capital. Whenever you start a sentence or use names of people or places, make sure the initial letter is capital (don’t stress out already, it’s nothing much but basic grammar skills, you’ve got this!).
- Please have a great highlight technique: It becomes highly important to highlight the important details in this fast-paced world. Be it headings, subheadings, bullet points, quotes, examples, ratios, facts, or other essential data to help the reader take a quick look. It must be highlighted. You can do so by making the respective content either bold, italic, or underlined.
- Keep some fixed phrases handy: This is an important tip for your essay to look attractive by using mere sentences. Some primary phrases like firstly, secondly, lastly, fortunately, unfortunately, however, moreover, etc., will help you to improve the quality of your essay. You can get dozens of these in your grammar books or search them on the web.
- Use they/them to make sentences shorter: Time and again, you may get stuck in a phase where you need to sum up your points in a limited amount of words. In such cases, what you can do is use terms like them and them. Instead of specifying the complete names, you can skip it to them or them.
- Use punctuation mark carefully: An accurate punctuation is a source to creating an impactful essay. If you can master the art of using punctuation marks, your maximum efforts are reduced. Exclamation marks, commas, colons, semi-colons, question marks, etc., are all designed to ease the communication process between writer and reader. If you wish to connect with your reader effortlessly, you must master the art of diligently using punctuation marks.
Stuck while writing an essay? No idea what to write about? Allow me to guide you!
How many times have you remained stuck while writing your piece of the essay? I want you to reminisce through all the school exam days up until now! No one is born Shakespeare, so stop with those panic attacks already! It’s okay, and it’s completely fine and normal to get stressed when you lack new ideas.
There might be chances when you get thoughts of giving up on writing. But, hold it, amigo! It is this stressed-out phase that will lead you to a confident and knowledgeable phase. Suppose you can hold in through the moments of stress for some short duration of time until you reach the threshold. Only then will you be able to achieve that striking blow in one shot.
To do so, you must first analyze why you are stuck in the first place? Following are the common reasons which lead to such situations:
- Not familiar with the topic: Often, you will have to write on completely alien topics. It is in those moments when you will get confused, irritated, and annoyed. It is normal because you are adapting yourself to a new niche. But only if you focus on exploring rather than chaos, if you focus on enjoying the new details rather than getting annoyed due to new changes, you can generate wonders.
- Stress due to lack of ideas: Time will come when you know everything about the topic, but the word limit will bound you. In that scenario, you get stressed about how to combine huge details in a short space. It is quite obvious, though. But, as I said earlier, learn to keep your focus on the exploration part rather than the fear part. Of course, you won’t understand new and unfamiliar terms on the first go. But is it all that you have got? Like, seriously are you going to end your efforts only at the 1st step or 50th step or 99th step? Just like that? If you were going to quit at these steps, why even bother to give it a start, my friend? The problem will get resolved on its own when you understand that you need to enjoy the process to get the desired results.
- Not able to combine the ideas: This, at times, can be quite frustrating. Because you have got eggs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, and utensils. But, unfortunately, you don’t know how to sift the ingredients and how to mix them up to bake a deliciously decadent cake! Intrigued, how to resolve this? Simple, get guidance from some source! It could be a recipe book (in your case, it can be google ^_^), or refer to an expert in the field (it could be your junior, senior, friend, family, relative, literally anyone!)
Three things you can do to generate a good quality essay!
- Think in your mother tongue: While many freshmen writers may think of this point as insignificant, it doesn’t alter the importance of this key ingredient. Yes, you heard that right! No matter how fluent you are in English or other languages, it’s your mother tongue or mother language that will enlighten you to think broader and out of the box. You can take a notepad and start writing down ideas while thinking in your mother language. This will help you collect some super cool ideas for your essay. Indirectly, you will have enough sub-headings to think about and then move forward by writing about them in the specified language.
- Pick a word and expand it creatively: When I say pick words and expand them, you must have correctly guessed what I mean. Keywords! Yes, keywords are the ultimate stepping stones to build the finest quality essay. No matter how hard you think about neglecting keyword research, it will eventually lead you to think more of it. Every topic has a certain set of keywords that must be included to increase and enhance the clarity and conceptuality of the topic. You can’t write an essay on food-related topics without mentioning the terms like nutrition, fruits, and veggies, can you? Similarly, if you are stuck in a phase where you can’t think of new subheadings, you can gather the related keywords to help you through.
- Make up an example or state amazing facts: Every essay must include examples and case studies. I repeat every! The essence of an article lies in the type of examples and case studies you include to describe a topic. When you narrate an example appropriately, you provide the reader an opportunity to connect with your content easily and deeply. Mentioning facts helps elevate the standards of your essay by proving your effort to conduct in-depth research on the topic. This is the simplest way to elongate the body of your essay yet allowing it to be interesting throughout.
- How to make an essay attractive? There are six steps to make an essay attractive. These 6 steps include in-depth research of the topic, a target plan to write the narrative, an innovative introduction, a detailed body of the essay with interesting facts and examples, profound knowledge of the topic, and a great conclusion. Every article or essay is incomplete without a strong conclusion.
- How many pages are needed for a general essay? A single page easily occupies a 250-500 words article. Two pages are sufficient for a 1000 word essay, and 3 or more pages for essays longer than 1500 words.
- What do you mean by profile? How to write a personal profile? In literal terms, a profile means a descriptive representation of a person’s personal details and some official information clubbed on a piece of paper. To write a personal profile, you can follow the pattern of three basic steps, which are personal information (name, age, DOB, names of the parents, address), official information (years or duration of expertise, education, and academic skills, fields, awards), and general hobbies of yourself or skills you are good at.
- What is an essay topic? Essay topic refers to any idea or thought shared with you on which you need to collect information and gather every detail into a fine piece of writing. Essay topics can range from technical to non-technical terms. Some of the common topics are cybersecurity, e-governance, freedom of speech, science & technology, poverty, food security, disaster management, tourism, religion, entertainment, education system, government policies, ethical issues, etc.
- How do I write topic sentences? The topic sentence is a statement that tells what your paragraph will be about. It states the main idea of your paragraph. There are two important things in a topic sentence: it helps you stay focused on the main idea of the paragraph, and it helps the reader know what your paragraph will be about.
- Which tools are used for the framework essay? The framework is used to make the basic structure of an essay to be easy to write the whole essay. There are some tools for developing or generating the framework of an essay which are the title of the essay, breaking idea for the topic, paragraphs, analyzing the idea or the theme of the topic (like the logic behind the topic, examples, facts, tone, etc.), examination of your work, collab for similar sentences, canceling re-phrases, linking the paragraphs, and maintaining the mood till you reach a strong conclusive point.