Do you want to become a benefits coordinator? Are you acquainted with the work you will have to do? Do you know how much will you get paid? If not, you have stumbled across the right article. This article will elucidate upon the job description, responsibilities, duties, and salary of a benefits coordinator.
To apply for any job, you should check the eligibility criteria first. And after that comes the job description. In simpler words, you should know what the job offers, the role, the responsibilities, and the duties. We will elaborate upon all these aspects subsequently.
Benefits Coordinator: Eligibility Criteria
A benefits Coordinator is a person who is responsible for communicating employee benefits to the employees of a company. They are responsible for letting employees know about the intricacies of the benefits the company offers to them.
The following is the eligibility criteria for being a benefits coordinator:
- The foremost requirement for the job of a benefits coordinator is a degree in human resources or any similar course.
- The person should possess prior experience in human resources and benefits.
- The person should be well versed with payroll and benefits software.
- Since this job is concerned with dealing with people, one has to possess good communication skills.
- Since the person will have to coordinate with people, they should have strong organizational skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in any field is preferable.
- If a person is a Certified Employee Benefit Specialist, then it would be a cherry on the cake. They are preferred more than other candidates.
If you want to apply for the job of a benefits coordinator, make sure you fulfill these conditions.
Benefits Coordinator: Job Description
After knowing the eligibility criteria, the next thing that you should know is what the job offers. You should be aware of the work you will have to do. A job description does the work for you.
A benefits coordinator might have different roles in different companies. But the most generic or perhaps the primary role of a benefits coordinator is to enroll the employees of the company into benefits programs of the company.
This job involves communicating and coordinating the benefits programs of a company to the employees. A person is expected to be possessing good communication skills, knowledge, and experience in this field. They mostly work subordinate to the Human Resources department. They assist them in carrying out the smooth solving of queries related to the benefits programs of a company.
This job involves assisting Human Resource personnel in communicating and administering the benefits programs to the employees of the company. A benefits coordinator is also expected to provide counseling to the employees as to how to utilize the benefits programs they are facilitated with.
This was all about the description of the job of a benefits coordinator. They have certain duties and responsibilities to fulfill which are as elaborated upon subsequently.
Duties and responsibilities
With the position of benefits coordinator, comes many duties and responsibilities. Some of the duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- The foremost duty of a benefits coordinator is to acquaint the new employees with the benefits programs of the company and all the terms and conditions affiliating with these benefits programs.
- They advise and assist the employees in filling and enrolling in health and dental insurances. This is important as employees might not know about these insurances and the benefits coordinator proves to be a helping hand in this aspect.
- They are responsible for informing the employees of changes in benefits programs and structures. This is a crucial duty of a benefits coordinator to know about the changes in benefits programs is a right of every employee.
- The benefits coordinators are obligated to coordinate with the Human Resource department to carry out the work of communicating the benefits program with ease.
- The benefits coordinators have to resolve the queries regarding insurances and other benefits programs. If the employees face any problem or ambiguity regarding the benefits programs and policies of the company, they can approach the benefits coordinator to solve their queries.
- They are also given the duty of sorting out employees’ issues with the insurance providers. In case of any discrepancy between the insurance providers and the employees, it is the benefits coordinator who steps in and tries to resolve the issue.
- They have to keep a check on whether the employees have submitted their queries in a timely, if they are getting the benefits programs or not. This all is ensured by the benefits coordinator.
- They are responsible for coordinating effectively using their communication skills and the facilities available in their office.
- Another duty of the benefits coordinator is to build networks with benefits providers. This ensures that the benefits coordinators can bring in the best benefits packages in the company and thus facilitating the employees with the best benefits programs.
- They are also responsible for verifying the insurance billings of the employees. They need to check everything, list the errors, and work on resolving them.
These are some of the duties and responsibilities of the benefits coordinator. However, these may differ based on the company they are working for. Benefits coordinators have different roles to play in different companies. However, the primary role remains the same, that is to coordinate and communicate the benefits programs to the employees of the company.
Salary of the benefits coordinator
The next thing you should be aware of before applying for any job is the salary of the position you are planning to apply for. A person applying for the job of a benefits coordinator would like to know the salary he will be offered.
The salary given to a benefits coordinator might differ from company to company. This article would be able to mention the average salary a benefits coordinator gets.
According to indeed.com, the average base salary of a benefits coordinator is $56,681 per year. This is the average base salary ib the United States.
Some good companies to apply in:
Certain companies are considered good if someone is planning to apply for the job of a benefits coordinator.
According to indeed.com, the following companies tops the lists of the companies considered suitable for benefits coordinator:
- North American Senior Benefits
- Arias Agencies
- Keller Agencies
These are some of the companies in the United States which are considered suitable for someone who is planning to apply for the job of a benefits coordinator.
How can you become a Benefits Coordinator?
Becoming a benefits coordinator is not a cakewalk. Though there are no specified degrees for the post, yet some degrees and qualifications are preferred more than others. You have to be the best to qualify for the post. Here are some tips which can make your path easier and clear:
- Though there exists no specified degree, yet there are some degrees that are preferred more by employers. If you are applying for the job of a benefits coordinator, you should have an associate degree in any of the fields like accounting, human resources, business administration, commerce, psychology, and industrial relations. If you possess any of these degrees, the path will become a bit clearer.
- You have to be sure about yourself. You should know whether you want this job or not. Have a closer look at the job description to make an informed decision.
- If you have an advanced degree in the areas concerned, then you can be given roles of higher responsibilities. So, consider getting an advanced degree before applying for the job of a benefits coordinator.
- If you possess good organizational and communicational skills, then you are perfect for this job. A benefits coordinator is expected to possess good communication skills as they have to coordinate every detail of the benefits programs and policies of the company with the employees.
- You need to establish good relations with the employees. Being a benefits coordinator, you are required to maintain good relations with the employees as they will have to communicate with them on regular basis.
- A benefits coordinator should be trustworthy as they have to keep certain things confidential. The employees’ details are shared with the benefits coordinator, and these intricacies need to be kept confidential. Thus, the benefits coordinator should be reliable.
- Problem-solving skills are required in this job. As a benefits coordinator, you will be confronted with multiple problems of the employees. You will be responsible to solve these problems. You should not get irritated by the work and take every challenge head-on.
- Along with problem-solving skills, you should also possess good interpretation skills, you will have to interpret the problems, look into them, and give a solution to the problem.
- Good relations are also to be maintained with the benefits provider. Thus, you should be a social person, who can talk to people and make the most out of it.
These are some of the traits that you should possess to become a desirable candidate for a benefits coordinator’s post. If you possess all these personality traits and qualifications, then do not hesitate in applying for the job.
Becoming a benefits coordinator is a tough task but not an impossible one. If you possess the required skills and the personality traits mentioned in the article, you can easily become a benefits coordinator. You just need the right guidance and information about the job.
The article attempted to make the task easier for you. Before applying for the job you should know what the job offers and whether it is in your interest or not. This is what the job descriptions are for.
The next things you need to know are the eligibility criteria, the roles ad duties, and the salary the job offers. You should be well informed about all these things before applying for not just the job of a benefits coordinator but any job. Make sure you keep all these things in mind before applying for a job.
The most important thing is what you want from your career. You should know what you expect from your job. A benefits coordinator requires a person with good communication skills and organizational skills. If you are a people person, then go ahead with this job.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the average salary of a benefits coordinator?
A benefits coordinator can get a decent salary of $56,681 per year. The workload may be more, but the salary is worth it. You can go ahead with the job.
What are some of the traits one should possess to become a benefits coordinator?
If you want to become a benefits coordinator, you should have good communication and organizational skills. You will have to deal with the employees, benefits providers, and many other people on regular basis. You have to be social to make this work. You have to possess all these traits to become a benefits coordinator.
What professional qualifications do we need to become a benefits coordinator?
The professional qualifications include an associate degree in fields like accounting, human resources, industrial relations, commerce, psychology, etc. An advanced degree is preferred more. If you want to become a benefits coordinator you should consider getting these degrees and then apply for the job.
What are benefits coordinators responsible for?
Benefits coordinators are responsible for communicating and coordinating benefits programs and policies of the company with the employees. They are responsible for solving all the queries of the employees regarding the benefits programs which include many types of insurances. They have to assist the Human Resource department and carry out the administration accordingly.
Is becoming a benefits coordinator a difficult task?
Becoming a benefits coordinator is indeed a tough task but not an impossible one. You just need to have the right skills and the correct knowledge about the roles and duties. If you are a people person then you are perfect for this job. You should have the required degrees and social nature, the one who can talk to people and make the best out of it.