Adversity is an occurrence of consequential and continuous difficulty or catastrophe. People at work often face difficulties and misfortune. You must have heard of employees not being able to complete their projects on the given deadline or not being able to crack a deal due to any affliction, self-doubt, or personal reasons like any injury or illness. This is referred to as facing a situation of adversity. Being in adversity can affect an individual employee, a team, or the business itself. Fruitless work or mismanagement also contributes to adversity at workplaces. Let us see how to answer Describe A Situation In Which You Had To Overcome Adversity question.
Describe A Situation In Which You Had To Overcome Adversity
Therefore, a recruiter or an interviewer may ask you to describe about a situation you overcome adversity in your life, schools, colleges, or workplaces in interviews. They may ask questions like this to evaluate our perseverance, potency, strength, and analytical skills. If you’re interviewing for jobs or internships, learning more about why a recruiter may ask about adversity can help you prepare an effective answer.
Why do recruiters ask to describe a situation you overcome Adversity?
While hiring interns or job aspirants, hiring recruiters or HR managers want to know more about the person you are and why you are different from others. They want to know why you think you are the perfect person for doing that particular job. The recruiters also want to know how you would contribute to their organization or their company. Thus, listed below are some reasons they might ask you questions about the adversity you’ve faced at workplaces.
- Evaluate analytical skills
- Assess perseverance and potency
- Acknowledge your style of working
- Understand the propensity of your position
- You should be able to think and react positively even when you face negative situations. At the end of the day, it’s you who has to solve the problem. This shows how you can handle adverse situations. You should learn to stay calm and assure hiring recruiters that you can work in any kind of environment. This puts up a great impact on the employer.
- You should describe the situations where you have faced adversity and handled it correctly to the employer so that he/she can evaluate your analytical skills based on your experience. You should also offer solutions to various problems faced at the workplace due to adversities.
- The way you handle difficulties or misfortunes at the workplace shows a lot about your style of working. You should be able to work in and with teams and collaborate with people working around you. This will help you a lot.
- The employer may hire you at the time of adversity in the company. This time your skills to overcome adversity may help the employer to understand the propensity of your position. This will increase the probability of you getting hired by the manager in that particular company.
Challenges you might face at workplace
When dealing with adversity at work, having the ability to overcome stumbling blocks or hardships can be crucial. Understanding how to handle it can help you prevent complications, gain from faults or blunders, resolve conflicts and manage challenges in a professional and unbiased manner. It is helpful to learn more about the skills you need to overcome the challenges you face in your professional life. Some of the challenges you may face are as follows-
- Physical obstacles, such as continuous rearranging of offices, switching jobs, or roadblocks, being sleep deprived, ill, or injured.
- Mental challenges, such as learning to work with people having different personality types.
- Emotional adversity, such as handling criticism, self-doubt, failure, and other kinds of feedback given by people around you, your boss, or your co-workers. You may feel unsure about your work or responsibilities.
- Social challenges, such as building and maintaining relationships with other employees.
- Financial adversity, such as accounting errors or budget restrictions (may include lesser salary) or money challenges.
How does dealing with Adversities help?
Adversity mainly occurs due to clashing thoughts and personalities of people working with or around you. Dealing with adversities can help you in various ways. Some of the benefits include-
- Less stress
- Good mental health
- Good relationships
Being able to handle stress at all times and dealing with adversities at the workplace helps you bring confidence in yourself. This gives you the experience to work in any situation. It also affects the relationship with your co-workers and helps in the smooth working of your company.
Skills that help in dealing with Adversity
To overcome challenging situations in the workplace, you can consider developing the following soft skills:
- A sense of humor: You should be able to laugh at a problem, then you may be capable of looking at it objectively, which can help you learn from it, maintain a positive attitude and create solutions. One way you can boost your sense of humor is by contributing to friendships in and out of the workplace.
- Critical thinking: Critical thinking skills can help you approach adversity logically, which can help you and your team overcome obstacles. You can develop your critical thinking skills by enrolling in online courses, attending specialized workshops, going to professional conferences, and using them at your workplace to handle situations of adversity properly.
- Communication: Being able to discuss adverse conditions professionally is essential for overcoming challenges in the workplace or other adverse conditions. You can improve your communication skills by focusing on one topic in a conversation, being aware of your co-workers’ body language, and using constructive language. You should socialize and communicate enough to help you overcome obstacles and problems in the workplace.
- Patience: By approaching challenges at work with patience, you can avoid making additional mistakes during the problem-solving process. You can develop patience through meditation, mindfulness exercises, and specialized professional development programs. Try listening to podcasts related to patience and learn from them. Patience is the key to success. Try not to panic in adverse situations and try handling the problems with patience.
How to overcome Adversity at the workplace?
This involves 7 steps which are listed below-
Identifying the adversity
The first step to prostrating adversity in the workplace is to identify who is involved and what type of adversity the business is passing. Relating the ensuing rudiments of adversity can help you produce pretensions and strategies to address its causes. You can try to determine the cause of the workplace adversity you or your company is facing. Another element to identify is the goods of adversity. This could be advancement, poor morale, or frustration.
For example, Vaibhav, a hand for a deals company, gets emotional adversity, including frustration with his job and advancement from his work. He identifies the cause of his adversity as deals that feel insolvable to reach. The adversity is causing Vaibhav stress which is showing in his deal’s performance pointers, and his master is taking notice.
Identifying your skills- (mentioned above)
The next step to handling and prostrating adversity in the company is to identify strengths you can use to address the challenges at work. Below are some exemplifications of soft skills and character traits you can use to overcome adversity-
a) Determination: Determination skills can help you ensure you will address the adversity without giving up.
b) Responsibility: Taking responsibility for the causes and goods of adversity can help you take the power of your results.
c) Perspective: You can change your perspective to view adversity as an occasion to ameliorate rather than a challenge to overcome. This can help you keep a positive station as you address the causes and goods of workplace adversity. Inflexibility The capability to acclimatize to changing situations can help you use creative strategies to address adversity.
For example, Vaibhav and his director start to address his issue with the deals shared by allowing how they can use their skills and character traits to overcome adversity. Vaibhav is prepared to take responsibility for his low deal performance and is flexible about espousing new strategies to overcome the challenge of his high deals share. Likewise, his director is willing to view the challenge as an occasion rather than a problem. Both have the determination to address the issue proactively. They record a meeting to bandy implicit results to the issue.
Setting a goal to overcome adversities
After understanding the adversity and relating skills you can use to overcome it; you can set a goal to ameliorate the situation. Setting a thing can help you identify strategies to overcome adversity. You can ensure your thing has the following attributes-
- Specific Setting- A specific thing can help you identify specific strategies for achieving it.
- Measurable- You can ensure the thing is qualitatively or quantitatively measurable so you know definitively when you’ve reached it.
- Attainable Setting- Attainable pretensions ensure your aspiration is realistic enough to complete.
- Applicable– Easily relating the adversity can help you set a thing that applies to prostrating it. Time-grounded Setting a time-grounded thing can give you a time frame for reaching the thing so you can make sure it’s fulfilled.
For Example, in their meeting, Vaibhav and his director reviewed Vaibhav’s deal figures and shares. Vaibhav expresses his passion for the prospects of the high deal, and his director uses active listening skills to understand Vaibhav’s perspective. Vaibhav’s director apologizes for the high share but acknowledges its challenge. Rather than lowering the share, the two decide to review Vaibhav’s overall workload to determine whether any of his tasks could shift to other departments. They find soothsaying and executive tasks that Vaibhav could shift to others to concentrate further of his time and energy on selling. At the end of the meeting, Vaibhav and his director set a goal for Vaibhav to reach at least 75 of his deal shares for the current month. They agree to meet again in the coming month to review Vaibhav’s performance.
Choosing the strategies to address adversity
Some common strategies to address adversity are as follows-
- Communicate openly– Open communication can help you address adversity in working connections to find results. For illustration, workers can communicate with their director about the challenge to find ways to overcome it.
- Use cooperation skills to address interpersonal conflict- If you are passing adversity as a result of colliding personalities or task conflict at work, you can work with others in your workplace to find results to the adversity.
- Reflect on your station– Adversity can introduce negativity into situations at work. You can reflect on your station and approach the adversity with positivity to combat this symptom of adversity.
- Trial and error- Another strategy for addressing adversity in the plant is to try different strategies and estimate their results to determine what works best for prostrating challenges.
For example, Vaibhav leaves the meeting feeling confident that he can address a lower share with further time to devote to deals. He’s determined to approach his deals liabilities with a positive station. He is also willing to try different approaches to reaching his goal to increase his workflow’s effectiveness and meet his goal.
Implementing the strategies
After relating strategies for prostrating adversity, you can apply the strategies. At the end of each day, you can suppose how you feel about the adversity to determine whether your strategies are reducing your particular stress.
For example, Vaibhav devotes further time to deals so he can hit his reduced share by the end of the month. He approaches his work with a positive station to reduce his frustration and advancement.
Evaluation of results
Once you’ve reached the deadline you set to complete your thing, you can estimate the results of your efforts to overcome adversity. Some types of workplace adversity can take longer to address, so it’s important to remain positive if you did not reach your original goal. Rather, it’s important to celebrate enhancement throughout this process to help ensure your perspective remains positive. You can estimate the following to determine the success of your sweats.
- Causes– You can determine whether the causes of workplace adversity are still alive.
- Goods- Most importantly, you can identify whether the original goods of adversity are still present.
- Feelings- Another way to estimate the success of your ears to combat adversity is to estimate your feelings girding the challenge. However, this is a good sign your sweats are effective if you feel more positive about the situation.
- Pretensions- You can determine the degree to which you reached your pretensions in this process. However, you can estimate whether your strategies were effective If you did not reach your thing.
For example, Vaibhav met with his director in the coming month to estimate his progress. Vaibhav bettered his deals figures with a reduced workload and reached the reduced share his director set. They agreed to keep the lower deals share for the coming month as Vaibhav continued to acclimate to the changes on his part. Vaibhav also agreed to continue meeting with his director until he constantly reached his deal share to ensure their strategies continued to work.
Preventing any adversity in the future
While some degree of adversity is ineluctable in a career, relating ways to help against adversity in the future can help you avoid challenges throughout your career. However, this can be a sign that it’s time to estimate strategies if you witness recreating cases of the same challenges. You can use the following tips to help workplace adversity-
- Ameliorate adaptability skills- Resilience is the capability to recapture energy and determination snappily after a reversal. perfecting your adaptability skills can help you help and handle adversity in the future.
- Estimate your professional situation regularly- Another way to help unborn adversity is to regularly dissect your passions about your places, liabilities, and connections in the company. This can help you identify and address pressures before they grow into bigger challenges.
For example, Vaibhav’s director bettered their coaching skills as they banded Vaibhav’s adversity and worked through it together. The experience inspired his director to regularly speak with work members to ensure their morale stayed high.
You should try to separate logic from emotions by control, endurance, ownership, and reach. Also, try consulting a mentor and practice positivity.
How to answer such Questions?
Step 1- Elaborate on situations from your previous workplaces that show how flexible and resilient you are. Try to give examples that match most with the company’s values and ideology.
Step 2- Provide surroundings for a specific circumstance. Explain the context of the adverse situation to the hiring manager.
Step 3- Elaborate on your roles, responsibilities, experiences, and skills. Explain what skills you have to overcome the obstacles or adversities. Show that you can assess and handle situations calmly. Also, show how determined you are towards your goals and the adversities don’t lower your determination and will to reach your goals.
Step 4- Describe the outcomes and stories of your success after you faced adversity. Elaborate on your achievements and the positive results produced by you.
- Describe a situation you have faced at your previous workplace where you had to undergo adversity.
” I was an intern for a magazine, and I demanded to snappily ameliorate my grammatical understanding and overall vocabulary. numerous of my classes were for journalism, and I demanded a specific vocabulary outside of normal conversation to share. I decided I would be as close to fluent as I could be by the time I left the country.”
- What are the skills that you require to overcome obstacles at the workplace?
A good sense of humor, critical thinking, communication, and patience.
- What do you mean by an adverse situation at the workplace?
Adversity is an occurrence of consequential and continuous difficulty or catastrophe.
- What do recruiters check in with you while asking about adversity at the workplace?
1. Evaluate analytical skills
2. Assess perseverance and potency
3. Acknowledge your style of working
4. Understand the propensity of your position