Many of you today may have heard of the term Data Governance. But it is possible. Some have never heard of the term at all. Let’s learn more!
Data governance is commonly referred to as a process system important in data management to determine the processes, individuals, and technologies that manage and maintain company data assets. In today’s sophisticated era, a system such as data governance is needed, one of the data management disciplines. So to improve the quality of a company, it is essential to ensure the security of the data managed by the company.
Importance of Data Governance in a Company
- Manage company or organization data assets,
- To align IT (Information Technology) strategy and goals with the enterprise,
- Encourage customer satisfaction,
- Improve the quality of the company and its employees.
- Manage company or organization data assets.
Data governance will assist companies or organizations in managing various data assets of the company. What are the company’s data assets? There are 3 company data assets, namely current assets (related to income or expenditure funds), fixed assets (including building infrastructure, vehicles, and equipment), intangible assets (such as matters relating to authority rights).
- As an alignment of IT (Information Technology) strategy and goals with the enterprise.
Data governance can align various strategies and objectives of IT (Information Technology) with a company’s enterprise. For example, company data can be managed using IT governance in the company. So the two things can be related to each other. So good data management is created if it is in line with the strategy and objectives of IT (Information Technology).
- Encourage customer satisfaction.
With good data governance, safe and in line with Information Technology. What can be felt is that the company can automatically encourage customer satisfaction. So they believe that the company’s data is well managed and can greatly increase their sense of trust in the company.
- Improve the quality of the company and its employees.
Data governance can improve the quality of the company. Why? Because from the encouragement of satisfaction of every customer in your company, the company’s good name also increases so that the quality of the company becomes much better than before and every employee in the company also becomes more productive.
What are the steps to create effective and quality data governance?
- Link data management with the main business drivers and the company’s goals, then combine the data governance system with the main business project,
- Appoint a talented business leader in your company, to cooperate in leading the steps to create data governance from start to finish,
- Determine the most crucial priority data and have strategic value to be managed by your company,
- Determine what the data needs most to support your company’s interests. Such as standard data or policy requirements data,
- Determine the parties and leaders who are authorized in the process of selecting the most crucial data and have strategic value to be managed by the company,
- Determine the success indicators of data quality be achieved, compliance with regulatory standards, and timeliness of reporting,
- Review related indicators to management related to the authorized parties with the team regularly and periodically,
- The existence of training and direction to employees who are adequate in the implementation of data governance in your company so that all parties concerned can participate,
- Every leader who is authorized in this matter must be responsible for the team in complying with all the rules and policies for standardizing the data,
- The need for special expertise to support IT (Information Technology) capabilities in automation and monitor the success of this system, and leaders must also continue to review the data governance program every year and compare the expected indicator values and the indicators that have been achieved.
What are the activities in data governance?
Data Management Planning, data management control, data architecture management, data development, data model and design, data operation, data technology management, data security management, master data management, data warehousing and BI management, content management, metadata management, and data quality management.
- Data strategy: making data more strategic,
- Data policies: data policy becomes more accurate no different,
- Data architecture: data becomes more structured and structured,
- Data standards and procedures make it easier to manage all procedures and standardize data,
- Regulatory compliance: make every employee in the company more disciplined by looking at the data being managed,
- Issue management: make it easier to find problems that exist when managing company data,
- Data management projects: manage every project in the company into a data,
- Data management services: make data management within the company service from the company to every customer,
- Data asset valuations: as a tool to assess assets in the company, such as current assets, fixed assets, and intangible assets.
- Communication and promotions: become a place or container in the development of communication and promotion,
- Related governance framework: can create and help develop the existing governance framework in the company, such as the individual framework with roles, the company asset framework, the company project framework, etc.
What is needed and considered in determining the use of data governance for your company?
- First, what is your business strategy? And have you defined and communicated the main objectives in your company? If not, you will be wasting a lot of time, money, and resources solving a problem and not knowing the business problem.
- Does your company already have the correct data, and is the quality adequate? If there is no data quality, data project, and analytics, then your company will surely fail.
So if this question answers your company’s problems, then the solution is that your company does need a data governance system.
What is an example of data governance in a company?
- The following is a simple example of corporate meeting governance data.
|Target Participants||IT (Information Technology) Director|
|IT (Information Technology) Manager|
|IT (Information Technology) Professional|
|Investment Fee||IDR 5,000,000/person|
|Description of||Costs outside the inn|
|5% discount for 3 member group registrant|
|Meeting Agenda||Monday, 21 June 2021 |
Session 1 – differences in IT (Information Technology) and Data Governance
Session 2 – how to build a data governance system
Session 3 – implementing data management measures
- Example of Corporate Data Governance
|3||05.212||Water Tank Car||Mitsubishi||GHT.DK||1||Company||2002||New|
Because many companies are now aware of their problems with data, then Data Governance is the solution to solve these crucial problems in a company. A data governance support system that can automate every activity related to data and harmonize data governance with technology can increase employee productivity and solve problems with company data.
Companies may use manual data management, but the effects of manual data management can create some drawbacks such as insecure data, easy data loss, unstructured data, and inaccurate data. Then if it is converted into governance data aligned with the company’s information technology system, the results will be very satisfying and by the company’s expectations in maintaining important data of a company.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Data Governance and IT (Information Technology) Governance? The difference lies in the things that are managed. For example, if data governance manages company data, IT (Information Technology) governance manages Technology such as technical security, software, networks, and servers.
- Why should companies record their assets? First, as a guideline for determining policies, secure company data, monitor, and control these assets as an administrative order.
- What are the steps to record company assets? Perform design, form teams, collect documents, list assets and related documents, record and label, and reconcile data.
- How important is data governance in a company? Very important because it can improve the quality of the company for employee productivity and customer satisfaction.
- If important, why is data governance important?
- Productivity. All data will become more organized and make work easier.
- Cost Efficiency. Reducing duplicate data, which can make data inefficient.
- Operational Nimbleness. Make it easy if there are changes to the market environment and competitors.
- Security Risk. Helping all company data to be protected safely.
- Reduced Data Loss. Reducing the level of loss of company data due to the backup of managed data.
- Accurate Decisions. The existence of data accuracy, without any different data, is opened on a different device, though.
- Data governance is useful for what company? Data governance is a requirement that companies need to have in a fast-paced industrial environment with high competition persaingan.
- How should data be used? Business needs should drive data use. The appropriate use of data should be overseen and defined by data owners.
- How do organizations sustain data governance programs over the long haul? By building a structure that is reliant on formalized processes and documented procedures that are embedded in the organization’s data culture, rather than on specific people
- How can I use the data? Create and share your own data visualizations and Download the data.
- Who can access your data? Individuals have the right to access and receive a copy of their personal data and other supplementary information.