This article will give you a clear answer to your question ‘How to Get a Job at Jack in the Box?’ in detail.
Jack in the Box is an American fast-food restaurant chain that has stores in over 2,200 locations. It is mostly spread over the West Coast of the United States. The setting up of new restaurants by the fast-food restaurant chain brings in new employment opportunities. Building up some skills can get you a job with this reputed name.
The candidates interested to work with the company can fill an application form online or even apply offline at a Jack in the Box location. Filling the application offline might result in securing an interview on the spot. But usually, one has to wait for a week to hear back from the employers. After the interview, the most suitable candidates are hired. A background check is done and the whole process might be completed in two to three weeks.
Working at Jack in the Box brings in many exciting opportunities. Here are the details one needs to know before seeking a job at Jack in the Box.
- Online: One might choose the convenient process of applying online. The candidate can choose the job according to his suitability. The process requires you to make a personal profile which will take only a few minutes.
- Offline: You might also choose to visit a jack in the box location to apply.
One has to show eagerness to work with the brand by putting sincere efforts into the submissions.
Application Status and Interview
- An applicant is supposed to wait for at least a week before heading back. If you are curious regarding your status then you might visit the job location and enquire about the same. If you visit in slower hours, you might be able to get an interview with employers. It is advised that you dress professionally when approaching employers.
- The interviewer tests you on standard questions.
Preparation for the Interview
Some typical questions at a Jack in the Box interview can be:
- What do you know about Jack in the Box?
Tell the interviewer about the food items that the restaurant chain serves. State the number of restaurants owned by the brand. Tell that the headquarters is situated in San Diego California.
- Why should you be hired?
Talk about the experience you have had while working at a restaurant. Show your knowledge regarding customer service. Even if, you haven’t worked at a restaurant name the skills that might help you fit into the role.
- What is your greatest strength and weaknesses?
Be honest. Mention strengths that are relevant to the job profile. Refrain from saying you don’t have any weaknesses. The weaknesses you state must also be relevant and let the employer know how you want to keep working on your weaknesses.
- Why do you want to work with us?
Tell the employer how Jack in the Box provides an opportunity to grow. State your reasons as to why you consider it as one of the best restaurant brands.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
Let them know you want to grow within the brand. If you are a part-timer pursuing education tell them what you want to study.
- What would you do if you see someone taking money from the cash box?
An appropriate answer to this question would that you will inform the manager as soon as possible.
- Talk about your work history.
Focus on the work experience that will help you get the job. You might get an edge over the other candidates because of your experience but Jack in the Box also hires first-timers.
Tips for the Interview
- Make sure you have completed your research about the brand.
- Try to keep a friendly tone and wear a smile throughout.
- Be honest about yourself and what you expect from the job.
- Polish your knowledge about customer service.
Background Check and Drug Test
A background check is run by Jack in the Box after the position is offered. The brand has signed Fair Chance Pledge; thus a fair chance is to be given based on qualification even to the people with a criminal record. However, there might be certain factors that might affect your employability. It is advisable to mention your criminal record at the first chance you get. Jack in the box does not have a drug test policy.
Roles at Jack in the Box
- Team Members: This role is an entry level position. The team members are assigned different areas; near the cash registers, drive-through windows, or food preparation stations. They keep changing stations throughout the day. The job requires the employees to keep their stations organized and ensure the quality as well as timeliness of the order. There is a physical requirement of the ability to carry 15 to 20 pounds. A team member gets the minimum remuneration and it keeps increasing with experience.
- Team Leader: It is a job position to act as the first level manager. The responsibilities might include training associates and leading the teams. The quality of food should be monitored by the team leader. For this position, the candidate needs to have reading and writing ability, along with the ability to lift 65 pounds. As a team leader, an employee can make around $8-$11 per hour.
- Managers: Assistant manager and Store manager are the two managerial positions available at the restaurant chain. They are supposed to oversee all the store operations and make sure the profit standards are met. They are expected to delegate work, hire new employees and ensure customer satisfaction. An assistant manager can earn somewhere around $30,000-$40,000 while a store manager can earn $50,000 annually.
Checklist While Applying at Jack in the Box
- To work with the fast-food chain, one has to be 16 years old.
- It is preferred if you have more than the one-year experience of working in restaurant operation services.
- To be eligible for the managerial positions, a potential candidate might be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent and also some college work.
- According to the policies of Jack in the Box, a felon might be hired but the employee reviews have been controversial.
Training and Dress Code
- The training at Jack in the Box is a computer-based, on the job training. The training extends approximately up to hours. As a trainee, you will be paid for the hours devoted to the job.
- Dress up in black pants to go along with a black t-shirt. The brand provides you with a uniform shirt to wear.
Shift Hours at Jack in the Box
Jack in the Box operates all week long for 24 hours. The shift hours might depend on the shift you are scheduled for. Typical Jack in the Box shifts might look like 5 AM to 2 PM (Morning shift), 3 PM to 10 PM (Midday shift), and 8 PM to 3 AM (Overnight shift). The shifts will be allotted to you as per your preference, the managers at the stores are very understanding. Thus, the shifts can be scheduled as per your flexibility.
Why Work at Jack in the Box?
The employees of Jack in the Box get to avail themselves of attractive job benefits. There are health insurance benefits available for the employees. Some of the other benefits can be named in the form of:
- vacation pay
- service rewards
- retirement plans
- employee stock purchase plans.
A manager gets some additional benefits like tuition reimbursement and optional life insurance.
An aspiring successful associate might join Jack’s University that offers a structured program for employee advancement to build new skills and gain some experience. With the growing opportunities and programs for employee safety, Jack in the Box is one brand a job hunter might like to work with. If you want to seek a career in the food service area, this opportunity is something to look forward to.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it easy to be hired at Jack in the Box?
The application and hiring process at Jack in the Box is fairly easy. The whole process for an entry-level position might take at most a week and the time taken to be hired depends on the location of the restaurant.
- Does Jack in the Box pay overtime?
Jack in the Box might ask its employees to double the shifts or work beyond the fixed 40 hours per week. It has to pay the employees for extra hours excepting some managerial positions.
- How much does Jack in the Box pay per hour?
As a cashier, one might earn an average of $10 per hour. A team leader is paid somewhere around $11 per hour while the average wage of a fast food worker is about $12.
- What are the skills to work in Jack in the Box?
The restaurant promises to deliver quality service, thus to work at Jack in the box one must be prompt in customer service. Another skill that will be required is organizational skills as the brand asks its employees to keep their workstations clean and organized.