Most food preparation processes required vegetable oil to bring out the desired flavor and taste but unfortunately, a high percentage of the vegetable oil available today contains saturated fats that oxidize when heated. These oxidized fats are harmful to the body system hence, for healthy food, one needs to be careful about the kind of oil to be used while cooking. Does KFC Use Peanut Oil? Know More About It
Have you ever wondered if KFC uses vegetable Peanut oil for cooking? Then this article is for you. But before we dive into that let’s understand the keywords.
Kentucky Fried Chicken generally called KFC is a food restaurant widely known for its sweet crunchy fried chicken. Established in 1952 by Colonel Harland Sanders, KFC has through its wonderful meal satisfy their customer all around the world. KFC is popularly known for its yummy chicken that is claimed to be prepared with eleven (11) herb recipes.
Peanut Oil is extracted from Arachis hypogea seed (Peanut Seed). Among the widely used oil, Peanut oil is a vegetable oil widely accepted for cooking and making medicine across the world. In some parts of the world, Peanut oil is known as Groundnut or Arachis oil. Although peanut oils contain saturated fat of about 18 percent, they also contain a high percentage of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats that are helpful to the body when used as supposed.
Now, Does Kentucky Fried Chicken Use Peanut Oil?
Although peanut oil is good and healthy for cooking, Kentucky Fried Chicken does not use it for the following reasons.
- There are other healthier and better oils on the market. Oils like sunflower oil, Canola Oil, and avocado oil among others.
- Peanut Oils are higher in saturated fat and have more chance of increasing cholesterol levels in the body of the users.
- For KFC to be able to serve a well-fried crispy chicken they make use of an industrial fryer that produces high-temperature that can heat the oil to about 165 ºF and above. Hence, they need an oil that can still be healthy when heated to such a temperature.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken serves a variety of customers with different allergies, therefore KFC makes sure that the oil it uses can still be a lesser health disturbance after being heated to this 165 ºF.
Because of the above reasons, Kentucky Fried Chicken, rather than peanut oil, chooses canola oil for its customer satisfaction. What about canola oil?
Things to Know About Canola Oil
- Canola oil is an oil extracted from mashed canola seeds.
- It contains less saturated fat, thereby saving the users from increasing their cholesterol levels.
- It reduces the possibility of heart disease.
- It can be used for cooking, baking, and solid fat replacement.
- It is best for industrial frying
- Very low in trans fat
- Very high in monounsaturated fat (oleic acid)
- Rich in omega 6 and 3
- Canola oil doesn’t affect the flavor of the food.
The uniqueness of Kentucky Fried Chicken
KFC has worked so hard to acquire a place in the international environment because of the following unique factors
- Their brand is authentic
- They make use of the 11 different unique recipes to prepare their chicken.
- They make use of canola oil, one of the best cooking oils on the market.
- KFC offers standard and most organized Menu services.
- They are among the popular restaurants that serve their customer healthy and quality meals.
- They have locations in most countries and are easy to locate.
- Their services are swift, professional, and neat. These encourage customers always to want to visit KFC, hence enhancing customer retention.
In conclusion, Kentucky Fried Chicken does not use peanut oil because it is not that healthy with the temperature level that is required for high heated oil of up to 165 ºF to produce KFC crispy chicken. It makes use of hydrogenated soybean oil and canola oil. Canola oil is better because it remains healthy even when it is on an industrial heat level.
Kentucky Fried Chicken also considered the allergenicity of their customer to vegetable oil hence, they chose an oil that is less immune reactive.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which other oil does KFC use?
Kentucky Fried Chicken uses canola oil or hydrogenated soybean oil.
- What percentage of saturated fats are contained in Peanut oil?
Peanut Oil contains 18% of saturated fats.
- What is the smoke level for healthy Peanut oil?
Peanut oil is healthy at a temperature level of 450 °F.
- What is the smoke level for healthy canola oil?
Canola oil is healthy at a temperature level of 428 °F.
- What cooking temperature level does Kentucky Fried Chicken uses for its chicken?
Kentucky Fried Chicken cooks chicken at a temperature level of about 175°F.
- What percentage of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are contained in Peanut oil?
There are polyunsaturated fat of about 32% and Monounsaturated fat of 46%.