Nowadays,most companies search for candidates who can add value and be an asset to their organization. They also desire a Candidate who can be open to suggestions and is a quick learner. So while looking for such candidates, they usually see specific skills in them. The essential skill they want a candidate to have is to be detail-oriented. Detail orientation skill is crucial for a candidate, especially if a candidate highlights this skill on their resume and in their job application, the chance of getting selected increases. Let us know about the detail-oriented skills and importance of highlighting detail-oriented skills in your resume in this article.
Detail-oriented skills mean a character trait or possessing the ability to work accurately for an assignment or given task with close attention and noticing minor details. An employee with detail-oriented skills can quickly identify minor errors in the process. A person with this skill can catch and rectify the mistakes soon before it causes a bigger problem in the run. For a person to be detail-oriented, they need to focus and be more observant.
Importance of highlighting detail-oriented skills in your resume
Often employers seek to hire employees who can quickly adapt to things and deliver good quality work with minimum supervision or no supervision. Having this detail-oriented skill can reduce errors and save a lot of time for the employees. The managers can smoothly work on more significant projects rather than wasting time rectifying minor mistakes of the employees.
This can help the employees gain the trust of the managers. Also, such employees can be allocated greater responsibilities and good positions. Highlighting this skill on the resume or application shows the ability of the candidates. It gives an employer assurance that the employee will be able to complete any task with accuracy and within the given time.
Listing these skills will also help the managers gain confidence in the employee and assign the crucial tasks. The managers start believing in the capabilities of such candidates and give them to handle the more critical jobs. It increases the chance of the employee getting selected for the job.
Sometimes candidates with this skill may be asked to overlook other staff. This, in turn, builds self-confidence within the employees. It is generally necessary for mid to senior-level employees to acquire this skill. But developing detail-oriented skills at the beginner level will help the employee grow faster.
Ways to showcase detail-oriented skills on the resume
Highlighting and writing down your skills on your resume could be an easy selection process. Detail-oriented skills can capture the eyes of the employers when they are viewing your resume.The skills section of the resume has your soft and hard skills mentioned.
One can use this section to include detail-oriented as a skill. You can make points of different detail-oriented skills in you. You can also mention how your detailed-oriented skills were critical or helped you in your previous or current job. Below are some tips and ways to showcase these skills on your resume.
- Highlight the achievements and mention your previous projects and assignments done. This will give the employers an overview of your records.
- While mentioning your work experience or skills, use adjectives to describe them. Use words like organized, managed, coordinated, goal-oriented, etc.
- Write your resume in simple and proper English. Be up to a point and make sure not to have any grammatical or spelling mistakes.
- Mention the role you played in your previous work or projects. This will give the employers an insight into your experiences.
Ways to showcase your detail-oriented skills in an interview
In an interview, there are several ways to show your ability to pay close attention to details. Other than verbal communication, many interviewers might observe your nonverbal cues to check this skill of yours. So you must pay close attention to details right from the time you enter the room for the interview. Below are some tips that will help you get a clear idea about how to present yourself in an interview and show them your skills.
- Always keep in mind to research the company you will interview for. This will show the employers that you are well prepared for the interview.
- Being punctual will play a vital role in an interview. Being right on time or before the time given for the interview will tell the employers about your dedication and sincerity.
- Please share your previous work experiences with them. If possible, carry the hard copy of your portfolios for reference.
- Be sure to carry all the essential documents, or you might put a wrong impression about yourself in front of the interviewer.Taking the documents with you will show how organized you are.
- Be a good listener. Listen to the interviewers and pay close attention to what they are discussing. Use head gestures to show that you are listening to them.
- Ask the interviewer relevant questions about the job once they are done with the interview. Ask about your job roles and the company.
- Make sure to answer their questions carefully. The answers you give should be relevant and up to a point.
What are the habits of a details-oriented person?
Employees with detail-oriented skills have certain traits which make them detailed and practical employees. A person having this kind of skill has positive habits. Let’s study these habits of detail-oriented employees.
Identifying minor errors and fixing them
a detail-oriented person identifies the small mistakes quickly and rectifies them. They are very quick with identifying any errors. They are very focused and avoid making minor mistakes. Since they notice the little details, they are less likely to make any mistakes at work.
Revise and edit
a person with this skill has the habit of rechecking or revising their work several times before finalizing it and sending it forward. They do Minor editing and try to minimize the errors as much as possible before submitting the job.
Organizing tasks according to time
often, people with detail-oriented skills list down their jobs and perform as per the time priority. They always make out time for each task and avoid rush. This helps them complete any task within the deadlines.
Maintains a routine
a person who pays close attention to details maintains a routine. They like to do things in order and in a system. This helps them stay focused and consistent.
they value time and like to be on time for work. They respect the time of people and never want to miss deadlines.
a detail-oriented person asks questions to avoid confusion. They like to be sure about performing a task.
Perform and keep track of multiple things simultaneously
a person with this skill can handle various tasks simultaneously. They hold several dates, instructions, and recurring charges in mind at once. They keep track of everything they are assigned without any hustle.
Being detail-oriented is a critical and valuable skill one might possess. It is crucial for a person’s career. Being observant about something helps one develop their focus and concentration.
It not only helps the employees grow in themselves but also helps them grow in their workplace. Detail-oriented employees can perform better than the rest.