Dancing is considered a sport by some and an Art by others. People dance to express their emotions, at times happy and sometimes sad. Dancing provides relaxation and comfort to people, while others dance as a hobby and for enjoyment. Let us know about the ‘Salaries For Dance Instructors’.
People are born with a natural talent for dancing, but sometimes they want to learn more types of dancing or improve their skills in dancing, so they join dancing academies or hire a dancing instructor.
The average salary for a dance instructor in the United States is $39,252. A dance instructor is paid an hourly rate of $23 on average. The maximum salary that a high-paid dance instructor is paid is $54,895, which is a well five-figure income, but a person who has just started as a dance instructor is paid a salary of $28,884
Reading this article may help you know the different salary packages dance instructors can have:
Normal range of salaries
Dance instructors manage to teach students and people of all ages specific dance moves or a special kind they want to learn, as there are ballet dancers, salsa dancers, and many more kinds of dancing techniques. The normal salary a dance instructor gets per year is $32,252.
At the normal minimum level, the dance instructors earn $47,909, which increases over time. The salary range also depends upon the dance course’s period, the dance’s difficulty level, and the period to completely learn a dance type. The highest salary a dance instructor earns is $71,000, while on the other hand, the minimum salary a dance instructor is paid is $32,000 per year. In this whole range of salaries, hardly 10 percent of the new dance instructors earn an income of $32,000 per year, while on the contrary, the top 10 percent earn an income of $71,000 per year.
Major Types of dance instructors and their salaries
Although dance is of many forms, and each one has its specific moves, instructors should be different for different forms, or a single instructor can sometimes specialize in many types of dance moves
However, the major types of dance instructors and the average salaries they earn are discussed below:
- Ballet dance: The average annual salary for a Ballet dance instructor in the united states is $60,115. This salary becomes an average amount of $29 per hour.
- Ballroom dance: The average annual salary for a ballroom dance instructor is $40,669. The amount is said to be about an hourly rate of $19.55.
- Contemporary dance: A contemporary dance instructor is paid an average salary of $86,686 annually. On average, they are paid an hourly rate of $42 per hour.
- Hip-hop: The average pay for a hip-hop dance instructor is $64,230 annually. On an hourly basis, they are paid an average of $30.88
- Jazz: The average salary range for a jazz dance instructor is between $29,000 to $62,000. The average rate per hour is $21.
- Tap dance: Most tap dance instructors work from home with salary earnings of a minimum of $18,000 to a maximum of $111,500. The hourly rate for a tap dancer instructor ranges from a minimum of $8.65 to $53.86.
- Irish dance: The Bennett School of Irish dance pays an average of $167,118 to Irish dance instructors, which is the average salary for Irish dance instructors in the U.S till now
Factors Influencing salaries of dance instructors
- Experience: One of the major factors that can influence your salary as a dance instructor is your experience. The experience includes your years of practice and the type of students you have handled. The more you dance, the more experienced you are with your dance moves, and the level of perfection of your dance increases which can attract more students to learn dance and more chances of a higher salary.
- Type of dance: As we have read above, there are various types of dances, and each has its difficulty level with a different salary range. The type of dance instructor you are can influence your salary in Two ways.
- The more complex steps your dance has, the harder it is to teach; hence the more salary you will be paid .
- The more types of dance you learn, the more the amount of students you can teach dancing to.
- Certification: Certification has an important role in our dance career. The more certificates you have from renowned dance schools or academies, the more chances you can get a high salary. As certificates can assure students seeing the certificates, students can get the idea that you are a professional dance instructor with certificates from known institutions.
- Education: Education is also important for becoming a dance instructor. You can even learn dance as your subject in many dances or art colleges nowadays and continue this passion in teaching others. Learning dance can teach you how to use your natural feeling and other factors that can make you a good dancer and increase your salary.
States with high salaries for dance instructors
As we know, the economy across the states and the average prices and salaries of many things and professions are different, so let us look into the top 10 states that pay high salaries to dance instructors.
- New York: The average annual salary for a dance instructor in New York City is $47,781, with a total of 647 jobs available per year
- South Carolina: The average annual salary for a dance instructor in South Carolina is $37, 404 with a total of 378 jobs available per year
- Vermont: The average annual salary for a dance instructor in Vermont is $36, 427 with a total of 32 jobs available per year
- Hawaii: The average annual income of a dance instructor in Hawaii is $47,984, with a total of 52 jobs available per year
- Nevada: The average annual income of a dance instructor in Nevada is $36,614, and the total availability of jobs per year is 133.
- California: The average annual income of a dance instructor in California is $ 42,882and the total availability of jobs per year is 1684.
- Massachusetts: The average annual income of a dance instructor in Massachusetts is $ 48,226, and the total availability of jobs per year is 313.
- New Jersey: The average annual income of a dance instructor in new jersey is $39,042, and the total availability of jobs per year is 467.
- Louisiana: The average annual income of a dance instructor in Louisiana is $36, 398 and the total availability of jobs per year is 136.
- Maine: The average annual income of a dance instructor in Maine is $40, 310 and the total availability of jobs per year is 45.
These are the top 10 states with high salaries for the dance instructor
With the passage of time and development, everything is developing and further divided into various types. The same is the case with dancing. With the development in the field and acknowledgment of cultural dances and different ethnic groups, it is becoming a major industry, and the chances for a successful career in it are all so lot.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the normal age to learn dance?
The best age to start learning dance is the age of 7 to 9 years so your body can attain the flexibility it requires from a very young age.
2. What are the qualities of a good dance instructor?
The qualities of a good dance instructor are Education, Experience, Flexibility, professional behavior, and the, most important, passion for dance.