- Afterpay is a credit card-like service with Buy Now Pay Later facility.
- Afterpay is an Australian-based company established in the year 2014 by the joint efforts of Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen.
- Afterpay works by providing its customers to buy first and repay the amount in four equal installments with negligible interest rates. However, there can be some changes in rules and regulations depending upon the failure to pay the installment.
- The roots of Pay after have been extended to different places also such as the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, New Zealand.
- In the year 2020, afterpay was known to have crossed active 3.6 million users in the United States, 3.1 Active users in Australia and New Zealand, and more than about 6 lacs active users in the United Kingdom.
- Afterpay is said to be a great service for the people who need borrowing small debt and can pay later.
- However, some people have accused Afterpay to be a scheme that causes one to be under pressure and be in debt.
- The majority of users of afterpay are millennials or the university student or young people who need to borrow a little amount of money for the time being.
Fortunes Of Afterpay:
Afterpay was founded in the year 2014 that is about six years before now. It was constructed by the joint efforts of both Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen.
From the time it was launched, there has been a great graph seen in its daily customers and trusted customers.
In the year 2019, there was a slight change in the name of Afterpay as it was renamed Afterpay Limited.
Gradually with time, the number of active users started crossing the mark of one million to two million in different places.
So by keeping all the development in mind, Afterpay is known to have acquired many other shares also.
The places like the UK and the EU it is also known as clearpay.
ClearPay was a UK-based buy now pay later service which was later than given to Afterpay.
This change was subjected due to 90% of share equity owned by afterpay in August 2018.
Owning to the increased number of active users, Afterpay is now planning to expand its services to some other continents also such as Asia.
Inspired by the covid pandemic and its related circumstances, they are planning to avail the service of buy now pay later for the majority of online shopping or online services.
The most recent advance made about afterpay is that it had joined hands with a digital payment company named Square. This will result in the acquisition of afterpay by Square.
Work Mechanism Of Afterpay:
Afterpay is a buy now pay later type of financial service.
It is mostly used by millennials or young people.
This service allows one person to buy the required thing and to pay up its whole amount in pre-decided installments of fixed duration.
It is mostly done while shopping for things and then dividing up its full amount in four predefined installments for the easy purchase and easy installments.
Another best thing about Afterpay is that it does not charge any interest so it is safer to use up.
It allows shoppers to shop without worrying about the credit limit, minimum limit, extra fees, interest rates, etc.
Once you have purchased your required things, then you need to select Afterpay as your payment option to enable the use of Afterpay in your purchase.
Afterpay does not have any minimum limit to be used for, however, there can be some demands kept the shopper you are planning to shop from.
For the online use of Afterpay, one can get its account directly by just going on its Application.
You can also access the offline service of Afterpay.
To avail of this service, you will need to have a card of Afterpay.
Through this card, you can do your shopping just like the way you do with your credit card.
Once your purchase is done, then you are required to fill up your whole amount in four equal parts.
Failing to do so, can get you in trouble with the addition of some taxes or penalties in your original amount.
Afterpay service is used by many individuals as well as retailers across the world.
Pros And Cons Of Using Afterpay:
Any of the possible decisions has its advantages as well as some drawbacks along with it.
It is just like a coin, consisting of two sides that need to be looked at for a better understanding of anything.
For a device like Afterpay, majorly there needs to be some consideration that needs to be looked at before getting into it.
Afterpay service is much similar to the Credit Card system and is mostly used by millennials.
So before going out with the pros and cons of using afterpay, we should first consider the requirement of the use of Afterpay, especially by millennials as they can easily get access to credit cards.
- For the young generation, it is not that easy to acquire a credit card. Hence using Afterpay is the best option to go with.
- It is quite cheap when compared with a credit card as there is no interest attached to Afterpay.
- Using Afterpay for your purchases can help you to keep possible control over your expenses.
There can also be some other personalized reasons such as nit able to get a credit card and many more to go with the option of Afterpay.
Let us now look at the positive points of Using Afterpay:
- It is quite easy to use.
- Afterpay is available as both an online and offline service, so you do not need to worry about it.
- It is not just a coupon-type thing that can be used in online shopping only. But it is a whole package that can be used in retail stores as well as online shopping.
- It is a fuss-free option, as there is not much drama in creating an Afterpay account.
- The best thing about Afterpay is its interest-free service. You do not need to pay any type of interest on any of your purchases irrespective of the amount.
- The other great thing about using Afterpay is its plan if paying up your amount in parts. Those who can not afford to buy a thing by the full payment can consider Afterpay to split up the payment in four equal parts for your easy paying.
- Afterpay is a good alternative to some famous services like credit cards. Those who are worried about their credit limit can look up this option.
We can go on for the positive parts of Afterpay, similarly irrespective of all the attention taken to prevent any undesired situation, there will be some drawbacks attached to it too.
Let us look at the cons of Afterpay:
- Afterpay is an easy method to apply for a loan, so it is kind of responsible for the encouragement impulse spending. Especially in youngsters.
- Another disadvantage of using Afterpay is that you are eventually going to take a loan which is like you are spending the money that you don’t have.
- Sometimes using Afterpay and having a particular amount left to repay can get you rejected by the bank for a loan application form. As the impression of a person who still needs to pay up for some money is not appealing enough for the bank to provide them with another loan also.
- With the installments provided by Afterpay to fulfill your amount, you can not decide the time. Instead, you should agree on the plan settled up by Afterpay Limited.
- Unable to pay your amount on the due date can lead you to have an additional fine or penalty attached with your original amount. This penalty is quite troublesome to get completed. As Afterpay service earn a good amount of money from just the penalty collected from its customers.
- Using Afterpay can increase your pressure and can lead you to more debts.
- There is one rule of Afterpay which is responsible for the limit of your Afterpay credit. You are allowed to spend some particular amount of money only which will be decided by the Afterpay and the period you have been in service.
- Buy now pay later is a good service, to begin with, but for those who are not able to manage their expenses, it can be fatal to get in touch with these systems.
With all the precautions in mind, one can safely use the service of Afterpay and can avoid causing trouble for self.
How Does Afterpay Make Money?
Afterpay works on the ancient business models but with a slight change in it to fit up in the recent market.
Afterpay works by providing instant cash in place of the customer to the retailer.
Which in the future needs to be paid up by the customer in four equal installments of some particular type.
When the use of Afterpay is initiated, 25% of the payment needs to be paid up by the customer, and the remaining 75% can be then completed in the future by the customer.
But in all the processes, what can be the earning pattern of Afterpay.
When a client select to go with the option of Afterpay as a payment option.
Its 25% is paid up by the client itself on the spot.
Whereas the remaining 75% is paid by Afterpay to the retailer.
But before this, there is a fixed amount of commission deal in-between the retailer and Afterpay.
For example, the amount is 100$ that needs to be paid by the client.
But the client chooses to go with Afterpay making it just 25$ for the time being.
However, there is a commission deal between retailers and Afterpay, which makes it 96$ for the Afterpay to pay.
From this 96$ amount, 25$ has already been paid up by the client itself.
And the remaining amount will be also paid ul by the client of the installment of 25$ on time.
Completing the four installments will lead to an accumulation of 100$ from the client but paid 96$ only.
Hence this 4$ is considered as the profit earned by Afterpay.
The other big source of income for Afterpay is through the late payment of due installments of its client.
The model on which Afterpay works is known as factoring of accounts receivable.
There is another method for Afterpay to make money and that is by adding up advertisement links in its application and website.
Even though the work pattern is quite simple, it is still risky to walk down in it.
How To Pay With Afterpay?
Afterpay service allows you to get instant money for your shopping.
Which you can then pay back later on in some installment.
So to enable this service, you can have the option of both online and offline service.
For online service, your first step should be to create an account with Afterpay.
With this account, you will be able to shop with it easily.
If you are looking forward to using the online service, then the other essential thing is to download it then apply it to your system.
Once installed, you can then open it and look out for your respected store.
From there you can go on for your product and can get it to your home once your account has been checked.
For the offline purpose, you will need it’s a card.
To gain the Afterpay Card, you will need to register through its app first and then click on the Card option.
From there you will need to complete all the shown instructions and then you can get the print of your card.
With the Afterpay application in your system, you can be able to join it up with your pay and other similar systems.
However, one should be clear about the options and the availability of the Afterpay option with them.
You can use the Afterpay service with only those retailers who accept Afterpay.
Review of Afterpay:
Afterpay is buying now pay later service for shoppers and those in need for loans for a small amount of the time to purchase anything.
With such a great platform, there will be many good things to note about.
But along with good things, there can be some bad things also attached to it.
According to most reviews, it is trusted as a very good practice of buying now and paying afterward.
For many, it has proved to be a way to achieve their desired things which were not possible to buy with full payment.
For some, it was a way to buy something in installments but without any interest attached.
For some people, it is like an alternative to Credit cards but with more good options available.
Some like it because of its easy-to-use features as well as the simplicity of work that needs to be done to get the account of Afterpay.
Whereas many people are not satisfied with the customer service of Afterpay.
The date for installments is fixed up by the system itself and can’t be altered. So this is a kind of issue by many people.
Some other similar platforms are said as a better option for a few people, whereas some people consider Afterpay as a better option than those platforms.
The delayed payment that needs to be paid by the client is quite higher.
The late fees can also cause some damage to your credit score.
It does not offer any other mode of payment and can be used with only its acceptable retailers.
There is some kind of restriction settled up by Afterpay to it’s a customer on the card limit.
Apart from all this, there can be some change in reviews depending on person to person.
- Afterpay is a service used to provide instant money like Credit Card.
- It was born in 2014 by the joint efforts of Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen.
- The afterpay works on the method of buy now pay later.
- From the time it was started, there has been great growth in the number of its active customers.
- There was a slight change in the name of Afterpay, it was renamed Afterpay Limited.
- Afterpay has many advantages with itself such as no interest fees, can be obtained easily, payment can be completed in four installments.
- Whereas there are some drawbacks also such as the time for installments can not be changed, there is no money, to begin with, and what we are spending is just the loan, the penalty applied to late payment are quite high, there is some invisible help to think impulsively and spend impulsively.
- Many people think it’s better to go with Afterpay rather than a credit card as it can help them to be interest-free, to gain control over one’s expenditure by setting up the limit of Afterpay.
- Afterpay makes money for itself from the charge amount received from its retailers, who have gained their purchase money from Afterpay.
- Even as for the public reviews, Afterpay has received great reviews from across the globe.