Recreation Equipment, Inc., or REI, is a consumer cooperative in the US. The main purpose of the company is to provide a unique recreational experience to its customers through the retail of outdoor apparel and other recreational equipment. REI was founded in 1938 by Lloyd and Mary Anderson and has since provided stellar service and quality products to all of its customers. Their vision and mission statements testify to their commitment to providing goods and services to their increasing customer base. Let’s know about REI Mission & Vision Statement.
REI’s success in its business stands as proof of how well-thought-out mission and vision statements can work. A corporate vision statement defines a range of goals that a company a while world toward achieving in the future. The mission statement on the other hand works to describe the day-to-day operations of the company undertaken to achieve the set vision.
Typically, a mission statement dives into the details of how the vision would be achieved by the company in a previously decided period. The day-to-day functions of the company from the very base to the top are included in the mission statement. Another important aspect of the daily operations of corporations is seen through the values they uphold as they go about their business. Analyzing the core values of this company is as important as the mission and vision statements to understand its motivations and goals.
Recreational Equipment Inc. Mission Statement
REI’s mission statement reads “we inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.”
This mission statement is straightforward and shows the commitment of the company toward its business and the services they are providing to its clients. After a cursory read, the following core elements can be found in this mission statement:
- Improving lives through inspiration and education
- Commitment to staying relevant with changing times
- Providing distinguished products
Mission Statement Analysis
The first aspect of the mission statement focuses on improving lives. Recreational Equipment Incorporated works to provide all of its customers no matter where they come from the joy of experiencing the outdoors. They aim to inspire new customers to experience the outdoors and improve their quality of life through recreation. How this company has acquired natural spaces and left them the way they are is commendable. Recreation provided by this company is authentic and rejuvenating.
To stay relevant with changing times, the company works hard to exceed the expectations of all of its customers who are affiliated with them. A leading provider of outdoor activities, Their services include courses in various outdoor activities and vacations as well. REI works towards distinguishing its services so that its competitors cannot compare to the experience they are providing their customers.
Based on the distinguished products and services, the company returns to the first core element of the element. It aims to improve the quality of life of people engaged with their services so that they can relax and enjoy themselves. Their products have various categories to choose from which enables their customers to not look for things anywhere else.
Recreational Equipment Inc. Vision Statement
REI’s vision statement is not yet declared on its website. But based on the company’s commitment to providing joy based on outdoor recreational activities, one can say it has a lot to do with cultivating a culture where the outdoors are loved and valued. At first glance, this may seem like a business outlook meant only for profits. But if you try to analyze this, you can see that REI works towards protecting the environment.
Vision Statement Analysis
We can divide the to-be vision of the company into the following categories:
- Passion for outdoor activities: The very idea on which this company is based in providing recreational equipment to interested customers so that they can enjoy the outdoors to the fullest. It aims to acquaint people with the wonders of nature so that they can enhance the quality of life they are currently living.
- Educating: An element borrowed from the mission statement, educating people about the appropriate apparel during outdoor activities becomes essential. REI thus focuses on giving their customers solid advice which is good for their business but also their customers. REI’s vision must include all people aware of the skills it takes to choose the right gear for outdoor activities.
- Mobilizing: A consumers’ cooperative, REI attracts customers through its approach to business. Any client coming in contact with the company knows they will be in direct touch with the stewardship of outdoor activities.
Recreational Equipment Inc. Core Values and Analysis
The core values of any company are specifically designed to motivate everyone involved with the company to work hard to make their vision come true. REI’s core values are as follows:
- Authenticity: In their services and their approach to business.
- Quality: The enjoyment of outdoor activities and the safety of their customers would be adversely impacted if they are not serious about the quality of their services and products.
- Service: good service is one of the key reasons behind the success of this company ever since its founding.
- Respect: Any company commands respect through its service, authenticity, and quality. REI has succeeded in becoming one of those companies.
The core value adds to the internal culture that REI promotes actively. REI has seen a growth in the co-op members and everyone involved with this cooperative feels appreciated and heard.
REI or Recreational Equipment Inc, therefore, is a company that aims for certain standards to be maintained while it strives towards success. While the mission statement is clearly defined as all corporate statements should be, the vision statement takes forth the idea based on which this company has been seeing success all these years. REI is an advocate and promoter of outdoor activities and aims to educate more and more people to discover the joy of outdoor recreational activities. The vision, mission statement, and core values have been combined well to add value to this company.