Washington DC, across the Potomac River from Arlington County, Virginia, is home to the pentagon, which serves as the headquarters for the unites states of defense. It is the world’s largest office building, with about 150 acres; 60 ha (6.5 million square feet) of floor space, of which 85 acres; 34ha (3.7 million) are used as an office. There are five sides of the building, and most of the armed forces of the United States are within it: the army, air force, marine corps, navy, space force, and the coast guard. Among the reserve components, the air national guard and the army national guard operate under state authority. In this article, we will see about ‘How To Get A Job At The Pentagon?’.
How To Get A Job At The Pentagon?
In 2001, five Al-Qaeda terrorists attacked the pentagon by hijacking American airlines flight 77 and flying it into the pentagon building, this attack caused the death of 184 people. These attacks on American soil were compared to the British burning of Washington, DC in 1814 and the Japanese attack on pearl harbor in 1941. There is a small memorial being built within the pentagon building after its western portion was repaired due to the 9/11 attacks.
Types of jobs Pentagon offers
The Pentagon offers several types of jobs, which include: security police, non-appropriated funds (NAF) positions, United States air force, United States army, office of the Secretary of Defense, United States Navy, and Marine Corps, medical facilities, and clinics, the joint chiefs of staff (JCS), etc.
Agencies under Pentagon
- Pentagon force protection agency (PFPA)
- Defense finance and accounting service (DFAS)
- Combating terrorism technical support office (CTTSO)
- Defense threat reduction Agency (DTRA)
- Defense intelligence agency
- Defense information systems agency (DISA)
- Fort Buchanan
- George C. Marshall European center for security studies
- Fort Leonard wood MWR
- Defense legal services agency (DLSA)
- Defense logistics agency (DLA)
Number of employees working in the pentagon
Around 23,000 military employees and civilian employees are employed in the pentagon and around 3,000 non-military personnel.
Pentagon offers a variety of services in diverse departments such as –military services, the defense department, and many other smaller defense-related organizations. In the following departments, there is a wide range of employment opportunities, from entry-level positions up to senior leadership positions, for individuals who have military, intelligence, analytical, or scientific backgrounds. Job searching at the pentagon involves different procedures depending on the type of employment you are seeking. The Pentagon also provides jobs such as for janitorial and maintenance personnel, security police, and workers who could provide food services and other support positions.
There are certain documents that one should be prepared with before applying for the application of the pentagon, are mentioned below:-
To prepare a federal resume is the most important pre- required document that one should be prepared with beforehand.
For applying for a job in the federal government the resume one will require will be a federal resume a normal resume will not work, a federal resume is lengthier which consist of your working experience in every detail, and the more experience you have in the field you are applying for a job in pentagon the more chances increase of getting selected.
Documents required for proof
For most of the pentagon-based jobs, necessary documentation will be required such as: – you will likely to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, an official copy of your birth certificate, or a U.S. passport.
There are two types of forms in the job of pentagon: –
1. Optional forms
All pentagon jobs do not require this optional form. The vacancy announcement made makes you aware of the fact that whether you require the federal resume and optional form or both of these. Remember one thing the information you fill in your optional form must be accurate, honest/ truthful, and should be up to date.
2. Standard form
A standard form is required when the job you are applying for requires a security clearance. Also, the office of personnel management will conduct a personnel security questionnaire. The job requiring security clearance might also require collecting your fingerprints through which they shall conduct a background investigation.
Process for applying for a job in the pentagon
People who are interested in working in the pentagon force agency must first visit the site USAJobs.gov., this site is the one-stop shopping site to search for job opportunities mostly with the federal agencies, including the ones in the pentagon.
Specific information about each job is listed, along with the guide to applying for that particular job is provided at this site.
The second step after visiting the site and getting access to the information about the specific job, the person needs to create their profile.
The procedure for creating the profile is mentioned below:
- First of all, create a login.gov account.
- After that continue to USAJOBS.gov. at the end of creating the login account.
- After that, you will be returned to USAJOBS.gov. website.
- Then the option of the complete profile will be displayed, click on that option.
- You will need to enter all the necessary information, including your contact information, name, address, and citizenship information.
- You can then click on the ‘create my profile’ button once you have filled in all the details.
- As soon as you click on this button your profile will be created.
After creating a profile on USAJOBS.gov. you need to upload your resume and other required documents.
Make sure that the resume you have uploaded is searchable for other people. To make your resume searchable you need to follow the following steps:-
- First of all sign in to your profile created on USAJOBS.gov.
- After that go to the documents, and there in the documents, your resume will be displayed.
- There will be an option of making a resume searchable by clicking on the searchable option.
If your profile is completed then your resume will become searchable.
And the final step is to apply for jobs in the federal government.
Apply directly to the employers
Contractors and vendors should be contacted directly for service work outside of the department of defense sphere.
For jobs located within the pentagon, such as jobs at various stores, food outlets, and customer service outlets, a more standard job application procedure is followed.
Eligibility criteria for applying for pentagon job
The minimum eligibility criteria required for applying for the job in the pentagon is that you must be a citizen of the United States. The person applying must have at least 1 year of experience or at least should have a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or some of its related fields such as crime scene investigator, drug enforcement administrator, homicide detective, etc, through an authorized university or college, through which the pentagon department can obtain the security clearance.
Money made by working at the pentagon
The salary of the employees working at the pentagon are as follows: –
- The top earners at the pentagon earn annually around $90,000 and the monthly payment they receive is around $7,500.
- The people or the employees with 75th percentile that are working in the pentagon earn annually around $63,500 and monthly they receive a payment of around $5,291.
- The average worker earns annually around $49,796 whereas the monthly payment they receive is around $4,149.
- The rest of the 25th percentile of the workforce at the pentagon receives annually around $26,000 and monthly they make around $2,166.
Pentagon federal police officer job (PFPA)
This job is the most wanted job by U.S. citizens. The minimum requirements for applying for the PFPA job are: –
- This job seeks highly motivated and qualified applicants and must obtain a security clearance.
- The applicant needs to be a U.S. citizen.
- Should at least have 1 year of experience or a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice by an authorized university. The first three points are required for all the pentagon jobs.
- The applicant must possess a good driving record along with a valid driver’s license.
- The person should have a clear criminal background involving domestic violence.
- The applicant must complete the interviews which include- the oral interview, physical fitness, drug test, medical examination, and a background check.
- After completion of the 12-week basic police training, which is conducted at the federal law enforcement training center (FLETC) in glycol, Georgia, the applicant needs to complete another 12 weeks of house training and evaluation. After a total of 24 weeks of training, the police officer returns to the pentagon.
Department of defense is America’s largest government agency. It has and, in the future, also will provide a lot of jobs to the U.S. citizens who are willing to serve their nation. The department of defense has grown and developed along with the country’s development. Working at the Pentagon requires a person with a lot of dedication, patience, must have the ability to think practically and wisely, and should be hard working. To get a job at the pentagon apply to the site mentioned above in the article and make a federal resume for it and not a normal one. And most importantly have a degree in the special fields mentioned in the article, definitely will increase the chances of getting hired for the job at the pentagon.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Q 1: – Can non-citizens work at the pentagon?
Ans: Generally, to work for the federal government one must be a U.S. citizen or a national. But in some cases, there are exceptions as well.
Q 2: – For how many hours does the worker working in the pentagon needs to work?
Ans: – well it depends on what type of job you are doing in the pentagon and what responsibilities you have on your shoulders, there is no specific time limit for working if you are working in a good position because in a country like America nations security is must and you need to be 100 % active and emergency can occur at any time
Q 3: – can people who work at the pentagon talk about their work outside?
Ans: – most of the workers working at the pentagon directly work under the DOD branch, that is, the department of defense. People who work in some kind of operations can’t talk about their work outside the office since all the information is confidential and discussing it outside with others could threaten the lives of the American soldiers.