Ohio State University (OSU) is a public research university located in Columbus, Ohio. It was founded in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College and became Ohio State University in 1878. OSU is the largest university in the state of Ohio and one of the largest universities in the United States. Let us know ‘OSU (Ohio State University) Employee Benefits’.
OSU (Ohio State University) Employee Benefits
OSU (Ohio State University) is providing comprehensive employee benefits. Employees and their families have been kept in mind while designing the Comprehensive Benefit Packages that aim at helping employees to remain healthy and secure and also in turn, help them to achieve their personal and professional goals. Thus providing benefits
Their package benefits can be divided into
- Benefits related to health
- Complimentary benefits
- Superannuation benefits
- Multifarious benefits
- Provision for discounts and incentives
Benefits Related to Health
OSU Employees are eligible for health-related benefits, including access to comprehensive medical and dental plans, prescription drug coverage, vision care, and wellness programs.
- Health Insurance: The health insurance benefits offered by Ohio State are beneficial for employees because they reduce out-of-pocket medical expenses, additional coverage options can be accessed through employees, such as life insurance and disability insurance, to provide financial protection in the event of an illness or injury.
- Disability insurance: OSU employees may be eligible for short-term and long-term disability insurance, depending on their employment status.
- Short-term disability insurance: Short-term disability insurance is fully paid by the Ohio State University, and it’s an optional coverage that employees can enrol in.
- Long-term disability insurance provides income protection for up to three years in the event of a long-term disability.
Each employee’s disability coverage is based on their salary at the time of disability. Employees can be benefited by getting a payment every month also additional disability insurance policies could be purchased through OPEDCP.
- Life insurance: Ohio Public Employees Deferred Compensation Program (OPEDCP) offers employees of OSU life insurance coverage. The life insurance benefit provided to an employee is equal to the employee’s salary at the time of death, up to a maximum of $50,000. The nominated beneficiary would get paid here also extra life insurance policies could also be purchased through the program.
OSU includes supplemental benefits for its employees and they can be differentiated as:
- Tuition Benefits: Tuition benefits are also available to OSU employees and might be eligible to receive tuition benefits not only for themselves but also for their dependents. The tuition benefit provides employees with a tuition discount of up to 100 per cent of tuition costs for courses taken at the university. The tuition benefit is available for undergraduate and graduate courses and may vary based on the employee’s employment status also there could be eligibility for compensation for tuition taken externally. This benefit pays a portion of tuition costs up to a maximum amount.
- Vacation and sick time: Provision for paid recreation by taking a break from work. Employees may be eligible to receive a certain number of vacation days each year, depending on their position. Vacation days may also be used to attend to personal matters or to take a vacation.
Sick time is payment provided to the employee at the time of medical issues either of self or a family member. Employees may be eligible to receive a certain number of sick days each year, depending on their position.
OSU employees have retirement benefits based on their needs and preferences. They are
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS): Administration and Bargaining unit employees are enrolled here even though they are exempted from social security taxes on the earned salary. Members contribute 10% of the gross earnings and the University 14%.
- State Teachers Retirement System (STRS): The enrolment is provided to teaching staff. They have an exemption from social security taxes, employees contribute 14% of the gross salary and university contributes 14%.
- Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP): Additional to their OPERS pension, employees may contribute up to 4% of their base salary to the ARP, and OSU will match contributions up to 2, the ARP is a tax-deferred plan, meaning that employees do not pay taxes on contributions or earnings until they begin withdrawing benefits in retirement.
OSU employees may receive a monthly pension and a lump-sum payment. Also, OSU provides a health care plan for retirees to secure their lives by being valuable employees of OSU.
Below are the superannuation benefits for OSU employees
- Recreational Facilities: These include a fitness centre, a pool, a track, a basketball court, a tennis court, and a golf course. Employees can relax here and get out of physical and mental stress.
- Adoption Benefits: These include financial assistance for adoption fees, counselling for adoptive parents, and support for adoptive families.
- Library Benefits: Employees can borrow books and other materials, use library computers, and take advantage of library services such as reference assistance, interlibrary loan, and information literacy classes. The library also offers discounts on materials to Ohio University employees.
- Employees and Family Facility Health: The Ohio State University offers a wide range of benefits to its employees and their families. From recreational and family-friendly benefits to library discounts, Ohio University strives to provide a great work environment and support to its employees.
- Tax Deferred Allowances 403(b) and 457 benefits. 403(b) plan is a plan where a portion of salary could be submitted as retirement savings by eligible employees into a retirement account. The 457 plan is also a tax-deferred retirement savings plan that allows eligible employees to defer a portion of their salary into retirement.
- Professional and Education Leave: These offers can allow employees to take time off from work to attend educational courses, pursue professional development opportunities, or take part in other activities that can help to advance their careers. OSU employees have provision for personal leave benefits that allow them to take leave and look after their family and themselves.
Provision for discounts and incentives:
OSU Employees get a lot of benefits in various fields along with enjoying the incentives as well:
- Discounts and special offers offered by vendors and businesses: OSU employees have access to discounts on airline tickets, hotels, car rentals, and other travel expenses. OSU employees can also receive discounts on certain retail items, including clothing, electronics and books, and can benefit from discounted tickets to certain OSU sporting events and performances.
- special employee perks: Discounts on gym memberships, access to on-campus recreation facilities, and discounts on OSU merchandise. These perks can help OSU employees save money and get benefitted from exclusive offers.
OSU employees benefit from a variety of incentives, services, and programs designed to help them succeed and grow professionally. These include competitive salaries, tuition assistance, retirement plans, health insurance, and access to career development resources. Additionally, OSU provides a collaborative and supportive work environment that encourages employees to take initiative risks, and be creative. With the wide range of benefits and services in place, OSU employees are well-positioned for success.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What type of health insurance coverage is available to Ohio State University employees?
Ohio State University offers a comprehensive health insurance package to all eligible employees. This package includes medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage, as well as optional coverage such as accident, critical illness, and life insurance. Employees may also be eligible for health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, and health reimbursement accounts.
- What are the retirement benefits offered by Ohio State University?
Ohio State University offers a variety of retirement benefits to employees such as a 401(k)plan, deferred compensation plan which is a supplementary savings plan, health care benefits, life insurance and a traditional pension plan with a lot of additional benefits.