As it’s well known that “The first impression is the last impression”, the dress you are opting for an interview will show the company about your dedication and seriousness for the work. So get ready with me to stand out in a startup interview. What to wear to a startup interview?
The choice of dress might be very confusing. Many questions arise in the mind of what to wear to a startup interview and what to not wear. Wearing the right dress is important because you have to show the company your interpersonal skills and personality. By seeing you, the interviewer can have an idea of your personality. Also, your dress-up can impress the interviewer and increase your chances of being hired. So just scroll down to eliminate your chaos.
Important tips for dressing upright
As no two companies are the same, so dressing up will also not be the same for every interview. Each company has its different kinds of rules and regulations, different atmospheres, and working environments. So it depends upon which company you are visiting for an interview. The dress codes will be according to the company. But you do not need to worry, I am here to help you out with some of the best dressing tips.
- Concerning the hiring manager
It’s one of the easiest steps of eliminating all your confusion related to your interview dress code. So just approach the hiring manager, they will guide you on what to wear at the interview. You can directly ask questions to them regarding the dress code and also for the specifications regarding the dress code. Also, ask for any restrictions. For example, in some companies, tattoos are a strict ‘No’. So just approach the hiring manager either through a call or just by emailing him. By talking to them, you will get an idea of what to wear.
- Explore the dress code of the company’s staff
You can just check the company’s social media accounts like Instagram accounts, Facebook accounts, Snapchat accounts, or even the official YouTube channels of the company to explore what staff members in that company wear. Also, look if there are some variations in the dress code of the employees. Whether they wear the same dress for each working day or not. You can also do one thing: you can contact an employee of that company and discuss the dress code. This will give you an idea of what the company is expecting from its future employees.
Also, you have to keep this thing in mind what specific role you have in the company. For example, if you are joining for a manager role, you need to be in a show-stopping outfit.
- Show the real you
Any company would love to watch the real you. So just try not to be fake in the interview. You have done a lot of preparation for the interview and also for the dress code. But wear something that reveals your real personality. Who you are, what is your persona, what you love, etc. Show all these things through your outfit. Don’t hide anything regarding your personality. Because the company will hire the real ones.
- Making the right choice
Always wear the best that suits your personality. Don’t copy others. You have gathered all the data from the company and online means, so now make the correct choice of adapting that outfit according to your style. Make sure, the dress does not look messy or strange.
- Wearing neat and clean clothes
After your selection for a particular outfit, make sure it’s clean, stain-free, holes-free, hair-free, and wrinkle-free. Because dirty and wrinkled clothes will lower your chances of getting hired. If you are finding any difficulties, get help from your family, friends or don’t even hesitate to go to a dry cleaner. Spending some amount of your savings on your outfit will be worth it as you will move one step forward to clear the interview.
Dressing up for an interview: Men vs Women
For men: Choosing a men’s outfit is relatively easy and simple as compared to that of women. Some of the suggestions for men’s outfits are as follows:
- The very first choice would be a grey suit, with a colorful sweater underneath.
- The next choice would be a light-colored or a khaki blazer and coordinating pants.
- Wearing colors like black, brown, and navy in the case of layering a sweater with a button-down is another great option.
- Wearing a navy blue blazer will be a great choice for men.
- Including statement ties in your outfit will improve your look to a particular extent.
- Add a textured blazer to your outfit for a more professional look.
For women: Well choosing outfits for women is a bit of a tricky thing. But don’t worry at all. Look at the following suitable options to stand out in the interview.
- The very first option would be wearing a navy blue blazer. Pair it with a button-down shirt or even a simple blouse. Add matching pants or skirts or slacks to the outfit.
- Wear a button-down shirt with a modest neck.
- Avoid showing cleavage, wear a good nice fitting bra.
- Wear a nice textured or printed blouse with a skirt or slacks.
- Wearing a khaki blazer will also be a great option. Pair it with navy blue pants or skirts along with a button-down shirt.
- Wear a black dress with a skinny bottom.
- Pairing a sweater with black pants will also be a great option.
- Wear a red or muted turquoise colored statement dress.
- Wear a V- neck sweater along with a button-down shirt or blouse. Add dark-wash jeans or skirts to make it a versatile look.
- Avoid wearing casual clothing to an interview.
- Avoid wearing ripped, denim jeans at the interview.
- Don’t wear T-shirts to an interview.
- Also, avoid wearing shirts that have art or some kind of wording in them.
- Never wear gym attire like sweatpants to the interview because it shows the interviewer that you are not serious about the interview.
- Avoid wearing sandals and flip-flops to the interview.
- Don’t wear poorly fitting clothes or shoes to an interview.
- Avoid wearing stained or wrinkled clothes to an interview as it will leave a bad impression on the interviewer.
- Don’t wear shimmery and distracting clothes and jewelry.
- Also if you have any kind of tattoos on your arms or lower legs, make sure to cover them because it would be quite distracting for the interviewer.
- You should not have face or nose piercings.
- Don’t wear strong perfumes that might annoy your fellow beings and also the company.
- Do not overdo your makeup for the interview. Keep it light and simple.
Your clothing will work as icing on a cake for an interview. You should neither dress up to an extreme level nor to a casual level. Wear the right dress that best suits your personality. Show the company and your fellow beings how you are best for the company. So dress right and stand out from the crowd.
Frequently asked questions
Question 1: Does climate carry any role in dressing up for an interview?
Answer: So yes, climate does carry a major role in dressing up for an interview. Always wear according to the climate. For example, if it’s summer, then opt for some light-colored and comfortable clothing. And if it’s winter, opt for some sweaters and blazers.
Question 2: Should I opt for a casual look or a formal look?
Answer: If you are going for an interview for a corporate position in finance or law, then opt for a formal one whereas for a lesser important job position, opt for the casual one. For example, for men, formal wear should be a shirt and a tie. Whereas for women, it should be a shirt with pants or skirts.
Question 3: Can women wear tight-fitting clothes at the interview?
Answer: It depends upon your personality that tight clothing suits you or not. Also, the clothing should not be tight enough so that you look indecent and ugly.
Question 4: Does your clothing reflect your personality at your interview?
Answer: Yes your dress code will always reflect your personality at the interview. So always wear the type of clothing that depicts the real you. Just stay normal and wear the outfit that best suits your personality. This will highly impress the interviewer.
Question 5: Is doing makeup good for an interview?
Answer: Yes it is good to do makeup for an interview. But keep in mind this thing that it should go well with your outfit and also it should not be heavy or extreme. Because heavy makeup or bold colors will be quite distracting and lower your chances of being hired.